RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Retouching "Improving" photos, post-production, correction, etc.

Cut out the person

Old 07-31-2008, 09:54 AM

Question Cut out the person

Hi everybody,

I have a problem with cutting out the person from photos. I always do: Filter - Extract and then I mark the edges with the 'smart highligting'. Even after using 'edge touchup tool' and 'cleanup tool' I am not satisfied with my job.

I'll show you my cutout

- original photo: http://img373.imageshack.us/my.php?i...tshadowdt1.jpg
- cut out photo:
http://img299.imageshack.us/my.php?i...kgroundgv8.jpg - the edges' shortcomings are really visible...

Can you give me a tip, how do it better or tell me how do it in the other way?
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-31-2008, 10:23 AM

Re: Cot out the person

Take your lumps and use the pen tool to cut a path of the body. Use a alpha channel/color range mask to get started on the hair. Then you can make a layer mask that you can edit. (So can anybody else that touches the image.)

The "fast/easy" tools are not necessarily the best for silhouettes.
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-31-2008, 10:39 AM

Hi, Booboo! Welcome to RTP!

Probably the most difficult thing for Photoshop beginners to wrap their head around is extracting object, but it is the foundation of everything else you do in Photoshop. Extractions and masking. The beginner reaches for the extraction tool, but most professionals avoide it like the plague.

Most pros reach for the pen tool and use it to create a mask on the layer (all underlying layers turned off so you can see what you are doing). Another tool is the QuickMask where you use a brush to paint in the selection and then create a mask from the selection. Channel selections and manipulations usually come later when you grasp the concept of how masking work (white reveals, black conceals).

Look in your manual (gasp, yes read the manual) or use the PS help menu to look up some of these terms.. Quick Mask, Pen Tool, Mask. Search the internet for tutorials and helps with masking. It takes time to master the skill, but well worth it.
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-31-2008, 10:43 AM

The extract function works better on some pictures better than others. I don't think this one is a good candidate for this tool, personally. I think you'd get better results with quick mask. When you're done, try using a small smudge brush set to less than 25% or so to go over the edges and blend them slightly.
I did this in just a few minutes.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg marywithoutshadowdt1.jpg (97.3 KB, 64 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-31-2008, 01:24 PM

For a really nice series on how to do some great masking, check out "Photoshop CS3 Channels & Masks: The Essentials" and Photoshop CS3 Channels & Masks: Advanced Techniques" on lynda.com. They'll get you very familiar with masking of all sorts. If you don't want to pay for a whole subscription, you can sign up for a trial membership (1 week) for free! They really do a great job presenting the material in a visual format. I highly recommend them.
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-31-2008, 04:42 PM

Thumbs up Re: Cut out the person

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swampy View Post
Hi, Booboo! Welcome to RTP!
Hello

Quote:
The beginner reaches for the extraction tool, but most professionals avoide it like the plague.
I do not know about it, I thought 'extraction tool' is only one to do things like cutting out

Swampy, really appreciate your help. Now I know exactly what tutorials I'm looking for.

hawkeye60, good job It took you only a few minutes whereas I spent an hour with extraction tool

Thank you directing my attention to proper solution!

P.S Sorry for my English but I still learning
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-31-2008, 05:50 PM

Re: Cut out the person

The Quick mask tool is a good method, as is the Pen tool, which is my preference. This might help. http://www.davesdfr.com/Media/PenTool2.htm
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-01-2008, 04:00 PM

Re: Cut out the person

Although I would not use the extraction tool for this photo - I think many people use it improperly. The "smart highlighting" is only useful when the edge is glaringly evident. You need to get in really close and use an appropriate brush size and ONLY highlight the transition edge - that part of the subject that is a mix of fore- and background. When you take that time to do this, I find the extraction tool works remarkably well and very fast.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching