RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Retouching "Improving" photos, post-production, correction, etc.

other ways to get soft skin ?

Old 08-04-2008, 10:31 AM

other ways to get soft skin ?

I'm looking for other tehniques ( no D&B , no blur/median ) anyone can help ?
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-04-2008, 11:08 AM

Re: other ways to get soft skin ?

Don't grow old.

Only photograph babies.

You've eliminated the one technique that everyone generally agrees shouldn't be used, and the one technique that everyone generally agrees should be used.

Apart from cloning and healing with a small radius brush, not sure there are other ways. That is to say, ways that actually work.
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-04-2008, 11:15 AM

Ok so I have to learn d&b . I tried do this - found tutorial on RP but I don't get it. So I would like get some full-video ( I didn't find anything with Google ) or source file ( psd from non-touched pic to retouched with all layers ) Anyone will help ?
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-04-2008, 11:35 AM

Check out this PSD from AMy Dresser. Most of the skin retouch is done in one layer (all the cloning and healing) but then the D&B is done on a seperate carve layer. Wether you like the look or not, the technique is interesting.

Also don't overlook the color correction that's involved in this file. Removing all the weirdly coloured spots really helps to remove the un-even-ness of the skin.

And you've seen this http://retouchpro.com/tutorials/?m=show&id=272 tutorial, which is quite clear I think.

The trick is to make the dark bits lighter and the light bits darker, bringing both closer to each other, thus creating a smoother skin, with fewer irregularities.

Good luck.
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-04-2008, 11:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaroslav View Post
Ok so I have to learn d&b . I tried do this - found tutorial on RP but I don't get it. So I would like get some full-video ( I didn't find anything with Google ) or source file ( psd from non-touched pic to retouched with all layers ) Anyone will help ?
I'm still unclear on mastering D&B to get "pro skin" look." I have been looking on youtube for D&B video tutorials, but so far, no luck. If you link to anything that would help, let us know. Thanks
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-04-2008, 11:57 AM

Sometimes after I've done all the better techniques, I end up with very clean looking skin, great pore structure but still a little too contrasted.

Rather than take the hours to D&B each pore, I make a new flattened layer (Control + Alt + Shift + E), do a Surface Blur, add some noise, Gaussian blur the noise slightly, and then mask in only the skin I want to soften. I usually reduce the opacity to about half.

I keep the integrity of the pore structure but have a much smoother result in those cases where it adds to the picture.
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-04-2008, 12:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveB2005 View Post
I'm still unclear on mastering D&B to get "pro skin" look." I have been looking on youtube for D&B video tutorials, but so far, no luck. If you link to anything that would help, let us know. Thanks
It's actually quite easy.
  • Start a new layer
  • Fill with 50% gray
  • Change the blend mode to Soft Light
  • Use the dodge and burn tools, set anywhere between 2-10% exposure
  • Adjust the size of the brush specifically to the size of the area you want to lighten.
  • Scrub scrub scrub the highlight or the shadow until it matches the surrounding area

This takes A LOT of time. You're very gently lightening or darkening bits to match the surrounding area. If the exposure is too high, you go beyond the shade to match. It's like peeling an onion layer by layer. Very time consuming but absolutely creates the best results. I'm a recent convert and will never go back to my old techniques.
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-04-2008, 12:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by madclark View Post
It's actually quite easy.
  • Start a new layer
  • Fill with 50% gray
  • Change the blend mode to Soft Light
  • Use the dodge and burn tools, set anywhere between 2-10% exposure
  • Adjust the size of the brush specifically to the size of the area you want to lighten.
  • Scrub scrub scrub the highlight or the shadow until it matches the surrounding area

This takes A LOT of time. You're very gently lightening or darkening bits to match the surrounding area. If the exposure is too high, you go beyond the shade to match. It's like peeling an onion layer by layer. Very time consuming but absolutely creates the best results. I'm a recent convert and will never go back to my old techniques.
Could you post a sample like a 2 inch patch of before retouch and then D&B after retouch? That could help us a bit. It seems many of us have tried the gray, soft light layers, opacity techniques and not getting the results expected. I'm certainly willing to put the time in to get the best results if I can get on the right path. Thanks steve
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-04-2008, 01:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveB2005 View Post
Could you post a sample like a 2 inch patch of before retouch and then D&B after retouch? That could help us a bit. It seems many of us have tried the gray, soft light layers, opacity techniques and not getting the results expected. I'm certainly willing to put the time in to get the best results if I can get on the right path. Thanks steve
I have a perfect example that I can post tonight. I'm really excited about it actually.
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-04-2008, 01:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by madclark View Post
I have a perfect example that I can post tonight. I'm really excited about it actually.
Thanks Mad, I'll look in when it's online

steve
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching