RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Retouching "Improving" photos, post-production, correction, etc.

Bulk (speed) Retouching - any advice?

Old 08-04-2008, 11:21 AM

Bulk (speed) Retouching - any advice?

In my normal line of work (retouching / manipulation / art) I will usually take from 1 or 2 hours on an image. But this week I may have to do some "bulk" retouching - a basic "fix" of something like 200 images.

I know some folks have commented that they do (or, have done) this type of work. I'm reckoning on about 2 - 5 minutes per image.

I didn't find any threads here on the subject, so...

Anyone have any tips / tricks / experiences to share?

Reply With Quote top
Old 08-04-2008, 12:26 PM

Re: Bulk (speed) Retouching - any advice?

'Imagenomic Portraiture' is a very good program if used correctly and lightly. Definitely produces well rounded skin-smoothing results without looking too plastic. But, as I said, it must be done with a mild touch if you want a realistic return.

Its definitely the best recommendation I can provide for serious speed retouching (in basic terms of skin correction). And it's an easy plugin addition to Photoshop.
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-04-2008, 12:55 PM

I'm not sure what "bulk retouching" is but if I had 2-5 minutes to help an image, I'd punch a clean highlight and shadow with curves, clean up as much junk as I could and maybe hit it with some sort of sharpening filter.

I hope they're small images. I could take 2-5 minutes to just LOOK for dirt. No offense, it sounds kinda sloppy.
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-04-2008, 01:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by byRo View Post
In my normal line of work (retouching / manipulation / art) I will usually take from 1 or 2 hours on an image. But this week I may have to do some "bulk" retouching - a basic "fix" of something like 200 images.

I know some folks have commented that they do (or, have done) this type of work. I'm reckoning on about 2 - 5 minutes per image.

I didn't find any threads here on the subject, so...

Anyone have any tips / tricks / experiences to share?

Would bulk retouching be something applied to high school yearbook images or "fast food" mall photography? How much quality could be offered in such a minimal time?
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-04-2008, 03:15 PM

yea what kind of retouching is needed on these images? remember to ask the client exactly what he wants. And what size will the images be use, if they r going to be used real small, then a lot of the dirt and stuff you see at 100% wont be even noticeable. Need more details on the kind of retouching needed and final usage. I do a lot with actions, and droplets.
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-04-2008, 03:16 PM

HI Ro

i work for a portrait studio where i handle loads of images weekly.If the images are clean and the exposure is half decent you can bang them out im sure.

If your dealing with some dust and dirty backdrops id be dropping the lot into Lightroom and cleaning them up .I would also grab a pro action pack - littlephotoshop online and see what set's of actions are available.You wont use all the actions but their is 220 in a kit which does all sorts of tweaks and tricks which should cut your time in half id say.

Good luck
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-04-2008, 03:43 PM

Actions are your answer, not pre-processed ones but ones you make up yourself to make the process of INDIVIDUAL correction easier and quicker
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-05-2008, 01:32 AM

Ro,

I would suggest that if there is that serious a need for you to touch that many images, use a make up artist on your shoots or unless you want to hone your quick retouch skills then thats a lot of practice at hand. I have to agree with both DigginNikon and MarkZ.. both action pathes have their advantages in time. Personally, I practice both methods.. but I also think of the post processing steps when I am shooting as well as per client. Face it, some people have skin issues that can be controlled better than others either at the shooting stage or post-production stage. Actions will cut your hands on work down if and when used properly. I mean, unless you are looking for the 2 minute clean up that many of the cook books out there laud over, again, one should know the basics in order to make the right use of those quick tips... and know how to make them look correct-- even then, it would be wise to make some general action to prep any given file first. Good luck.
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-05-2008, 11:31 AM

Thanks for the comments, folks.
As many have observed, it's a good idea to have a "toolbox" of actions.

What I did was to modify my existing actions so that they don't need any manual adjustment, just fix them at their "normal" settings. So now they all work like this:
1) Flatten existing layers;
2) Duplicate;
3) Apply filter (without adjusting parameters) on duplicate copy;
4) Set up a "show-all" mask in the new layer;
5) Adjust opacity (or paint on mask = slow ) of the new layer to taste.
Also, when working on an image my actions are always in "Button" mode.
This way I can get through some 4 of 5 actions (if necessary) before my 2 minutes is up.

Sequence (more or less):
1 Crop;
2 Histogram normalize (if necessary);
3 Remove colour tint, or +saturation, or -saturation (if necessary) ;
4 Lighten subject (if necessary);
5 Histogram equalize (if necessary);
6 Sharpen (Local Contrast method).

What's bothering me now is the quick opening and saving of images - any speed tricks here? (seems that I'm loosing precious seconds )

Last edited by byRo; 08-05-2008 at 11:40 AM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-05-2008, 11:39 AM

You know you can set you actions to run in a complete set as you are working and supress the many dialog boxes, right? Group sets of actions for specific tasks.. click a single button to execute per the image needs and one save.. you are done. Move on to the next. My next .2 cents!!

Good luck.

CB
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching