RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Retouching "Improving" photos, post-production, correction, etc.

Mottled skin after darkening - solution?

Old 08-05-2008, 10:26 AM

Mottled skin after darkening - solution?

Hey All -

First post here. Very interested in hearing some thoughts. This seems to be a fantastic site.

I did a shoot a few weeks back. The faves of the model and hair girl fell more towards the second look we did. However I've just found some time this evening to do up some that I liked from the first look and was really pleased with the resultant feel.

However...

I was wondering if anyone knew the answer to solving patchy skin when darkening? The arm. Is there a trick? I've got some blur and a little skin smoothing going on there (her face was almost blemishless!). Or is this acceptable? I'm thinking of grunging it up as it could suit. From what I've read there's something that I could look at doing with the green channel? Some kind of blur perhaps? I have to focus my searching to find out more about that method yet...

http://a99.ac-images.myspacecdn.com/...b7514ccbb2.jpg

This is another one from that shoot:

http://a466.ac-images.myspacecdn.com...85ca8ffc91.jpg

I don't know if these links will work for everyone so I'll attach as well.

Cheers,
Michael
Attached Images
File Type: jpg _MG_0291_060 copy.jpg (78.4 KB, 100 views)
File Type: jpg _MG_0315_084 copy.jpg (96.1 KB, 92 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-05-2008, 11:32 AM

Re: Mottled skin after darkening - solution?

I think some light dodging and burning would help here. Make a new layer set to softlight and fill it with 50% gray. Using the brush tool set to a very low opacity (10% or less), brush (on the softlight layer) with white on the dark areas of the arm to lighten them to match the rest of the skin. If there are any lighter spots on the arm, simply brush with black to darken them slightly. Hope that helps.
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-05-2008, 05:20 PM

Oh - is that all... I've already been doing that!
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-05-2008, 05:40 PM

Are you being sarcastic...?

Yes, that is all. If you've already been doing that, then keep on doing it more. It will solve your problem if you're willing to put enough time into it.

Or you could make a new curves layer and match the bad skin tone to the good skin tone and mask it on selectively where needed. That way you avoid weird color shifts.
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-06-2008, 01:55 AM

From what I can see of the first image, you have blurred it so much that you don't need to preserve detail by careful D&B. Create a duplicate layer, convert to B&W, invert and apply as an overlay. Adjust opacity to taste, apply black mask, then paint over the blemishes on the arm with a white brush. This should get rid of most of your problem. A quick example of the result is attached. Ignore the changes in exposure and colour, that's just me playing around with the image.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg fix_MG_0291_060.jpg (38.7 KB, 65 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-06-2008, 03:04 AM

Hi Michael!!

Welcome to RetouchPRO!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by schMick View Post
....I was wondering if anyone knew the answer to solving patchy skin when darkening? The arm. Is there a trick? I've got some blur and a little skin smoothing going on there (her face was almost blemishless!). Or is this acceptable? I'm thinking of grunging it up as it could suit. From what I've read there's something that I could look at doing with the green channel? Some kind of blur perhaps? I have to focus my searching to find out more about that method yet...
Sorry Michael...At the size and resolution of the images you posted here, and from your link (both of them 21.37 KB) we would need a magnifying glass to look for details that are not there any more because of the incredible compression!!! ...

Agreed that at RetouchPRO we have very strict limits for the size of uploaded files, but the idea of providing an external link is to be able to provide a picture of acceptable size & resolution (best would be full size and resolution) ....
If posting the whole image at full size and resolution is a problem for you, you can always crop the problem area and post only that ...

True with Photoshop you can resize/resample any image ...but "the available pixels needed for a sharp/clear/well defined image still will not be there. (PS -or any other software for that -cannot create something from nothing.)"
And in addition to that, what looks like magic at a lower resolution, might make no difference at all when applied to the full size picture ...

That said, the Dodge&Burn technique is very popular for these problems, but certainly not the only one...So If you'd like to have other opinions, tips, techniques etc. ... Pleeeeeeeeease give us a real chance to help you!
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-06-2008, 05:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jam1212 View Post
Are you being sarcastic...?

Yes, that is all. If you've already been doing that, then keep on doing it more. It will solve your problem if you're willing to put enough time into it.

Or you could make a new curves layer and match the bad skin tone to the good skin tone and mask it on selectively where needed. That way you avoid weird color shifts.

Hey Jam - It's simply surprise.

I didn't realise that continuing in a similar vein would work. I've known of the technique, but didn't know it was used for evening out skin tone. I was more looking at it from a mindset of highlights and shadows for more dramatic images or changing the mood a bit. Thanks for the tip.

MK
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-06-2008, 05:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flora View Post
Hi Michael!!

Welcome to RetouchPRO!!!
Sorry Michael...At the size and resolution of the images you posted here, and from your link (both of them 21.37 KB) we would need a magnifying glass to look for details that are not there any more because of the incredible compression!!! ...
Hi FLORA. For someone who seems to say it like it is, you do seem to want to imply quite a bit. What a welcome.

Apologies if I've flouted convention, however I've done some research and thought that a description of my issue would be enough to convey what was going on. IE: I've darkened a lot -> Blotchy skin. Anyone who it's happened to before would know what I'm talking about. Anyone else would be guessing. I was simply requesting comments from people who've experienced it.

To my eye the pic (compressed as it is) shows exactly what I've described. The forum seems to have compressed it even more by more than 2/3ds for some strange reason! I haven't had the best of luck with hosting sites which is why I attached the web size images. I certainly don't expect anyone to do my work for me.

The replies I've received are quite helpful and manageable, despite heading in a different direction than I thought (woohoo). I'm a little at a loss as to why you think the information I've provided isn't adequate for those who it's happened to. Perhaps I've had too long a day with too little food and am unduly touchy. Maybe I've misunderstood something???

Regardless, thanks very much to those who have already offered comments and assistance. I do appreciate it. Certainly, any alternative suggestions are still quite welcome if someone thinks it's warranted. Blurring and D/B are all I'm aware of at this point.

SCHMICK
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-06-2008, 05:35 AM

Thanks Verywierd! Sounds like a really interesting method. Def going to try that one out. So that's used with an overlay blending mode you say? I've been doing screen and multiply brushing at low opacities on 2 layers with masks. Similar result?

MK

Last edited by schMick; 08-06-2008 at 06:35 AM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-06-2008, 07:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by schMick View Post
Thanks Verywierd! Sounds like a really interesting method. Def going to try that one out. So that's used with an overlay blending mode you say? I've been doing screen and multiply brushing at low opacities on 2 layers with masks. Similar result?

MK
Soft Light, Overlay and Hard Light will darken and lighten the underlying pixels in one layer, depending on the value of the pixels applied. Many use one of those modes for dodging and burning because you can keep all your moves in one layer and flip back and forth from the lighten color to the darken color with the "X" key. Soft Light and Overlay diminish the effect as the underlying pixels approach white and black; hard light does not. Painting white over Black pixels in the first two modes will have no effect. In Hard Light, it will lighten.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching