RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Retouching "Improving" photos, post-production, correction, etc.

D&B Video Tutorial

Old 08-08-2008, 03:44 AM

D&B Video Tutorial

I see quite a few people asking about d&b on here. I tried it yesterday and it worked great. So I posted a video tutorial on what I did to get it to work. Hopefully this helps anyone who is having trouble with it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xjXmlFdPd7k
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-08-2008, 04:01 AM

Re: D&B Video Tutorial

Excellent tutorial. Not the best videoquality but still the info is there and shows that particular way to do the technique quite well.
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-08-2008, 04:44 AM

Is there a difference in quality/results using this method, using the dodge/burn tools at midtones and low exposure on a gray layer compared to the two layer (+ one or two helper layers for contrast/desat) method on a black layer mask?

With the curves adjustment layer method, you can change the curves after you have done the D&B, although I never needed to do that.

So, my question is, ... is this better, is the curves method better or ... results are the same?
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-08-2008, 05:07 AM

The thing with curves adjustment layers is that it will be a curve adjustment and not a "linear" one. This means it can do some serious color shifting if you are unlucky and thats why you need to adjust color & saturation on separate layers.

The closest method to this that ive found is using a soft light layer with a 50% neutral fill and dodge & burn directly onto that. That will also introduce minimal color shifts just like this method.

Please note however that these methods only deal with luminance. If it's a direct tonal shift due to it being say a blemish or a zit, you need to adjust the color tone to the surrounding skin tone aswell.

Regardless of how you do it, all of these are based on the same fundamental principles:

A bump/wrinkle/spot/etc, consists of mainly luminance differences to the surrounding skin. By lightening the shadows and darkening the highlights you even out the spots luminance towards the surrounding skin luminance.

So keep that in mind and pick the method that suits your workflow the best. The quality in the end is all up to you as none of these methods will introduce any bluring or artifacts that you do not put there.
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-08-2008, 06:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hendrik View Post
Is there a difference in quality/results using this method, using the dodge/burn tools at midtones and low exposure on a gray layer compared to the two layer (+ one or two helper layers for contrast/desat) method on a black layer mask?

With the curves adjustment layer method, you can change the curves after you have done the D&B, although I never needed to do that.

So, my question is, ... is this better, is the curves method better or ... results are the same?
In my experience there is not much of a difference or no difference at all. So it seems to me that softlight on one layer is better because you don't have to switch layers all the time. You only need to change colours with keystroke "x" on your keyboard or with a button on your stylus, it's much faster and more convenient.
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-08-2008, 07:03 AM

ok i've watched the tutorial. It's not the best metod shown here. Using dodge and burn tools right on your photograph is destructive. The second thing is 50% gray fill is completly unnecessary in your method, it gives the same efect as setting the layer in 50% opacity.
You use 50% gray fill on a new layer, set in soft light mode. Then you simply brush using white to dodge or black to burn on this layer. If you use low flow setting on your brush it will work very similar the d&b tools but in non destructive fashion.
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-08-2008, 07:56 AM

Yeah. after viewing the video a few times more I agree with vejitatoja that allthough the method works, it's a bit overly complicated when all you really need is a soft light layer filled with 50% neutral gray and then dodge and burn to your hearts content.

Still kudos to the OP for taking the time to do a video tutorial
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-08-2008, 08:00 AM

The method I used has the same amount of steps and the same outcome. They both sound the same to me. How is one better than the other?
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-08-2008, 08:24 AM

Just simply 2 different ways to accomplish the same exact thing in photoshop that's the true power many ways to get the same outcome just pick the one you feel the most comfortable with pretty much that gives you the results you desire. It's that simple whats best for me maybe not be best for someone else and vice versa like the 50% grey layer argument all the time to me I use it allows me to simply see every change I make easily no matter if white or black. Also opens up other options as well it becomes apparent after you just realize its nothing more than degrees of change in colors from white to black and how they effect your image based on the blend mode of course.
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-08-2008, 08:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cryspatus View Post
The method I used has the same amount of steps and the same outcome. They both sound the same to me. How is one better than the other?
The main difference is when you want to change something you did earlier and when undo is not an option anymore. With softlight method you just choose white or black and paint over what you did previously, and it's a nondestructive change, you can dodge and burn the same spot many times.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching