RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Retouching "Improving" photos, post-production, correction, etc.

coloring shadows

Old 08-14-2008, 10:59 AM

Re: coloring shadows

OK, this was done with PSE5, colored drop shadow. I borrowed Baldy's photo in lack of something else handy, I hope he forgives me.

Juergen
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Shadow.jpg (143.9 KB, 39 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-14-2008, 11:06 AM

That looks pretty good. How exactly did you do that? Sorry Im new to this site PSE5 is it photoshop edition 5? cheers chris
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-14-2008, 11:08 AM
Patron

Thats why I mentioned spots for sharp shadows like those in the sample (very little drop off or fade). Selecting a shadow is a bit tricky because of the fade into the background you need to fade your selection then adjust the mask later.. thats why, with the sharpness of your sample, I still contend that it was done with selection transformation masked onto a separate layer and blended and/or blurred in to simulate the real thing.. of course this is all conjecture on my part and could be totally wrong...
They also might have cleaned up and colored only one shadow and added the other..

I will get out of the way and let someone more professional try to answer your questions..

Hope you have a successful shoot
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-14-2008, 11:12 AM

Cheers Baldy Im going to shoot some tests tomorrow and play around. Your thoughts were much appreciated
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-14-2008, 11:13 AM

It is Photoshop Elements version 5.0, the 'cheap' version of Photoshop. You seem to be using CS2. Do you have the option to change the drop shadow color in Layer Styles?
If yes, choose a color and apply it. Then move the shadow far enough over, so it is in area by itself. Duplicate the layer with the drop shadow and simplify it. Select the lower part and place it on a new layer. Go back to the other layer with the layer style active and move it to fit after you have positioned the legs (need distortion, of course).

Juergen
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-14-2008, 11:17 AM

Ok I will have a play around with that now. Im on CS3, to be honest I rarely use drop shadow but will play around now and let you know
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-20-2008, 05:24 PM

I do think this is real lighting, not a post-processing effect. I do some theatre lighting, and this reminds me of some of the effects we can achieve with our instruments.

One thing to keep in mind throughout the series of images is that all of the colors are complementary - purple/yellow, blue/orange, and in a couple cases red/blue/green - so they all add up to white light. With directional light sources, you would end up with fairly white lighting on the subject and background, and "subtracted" color showing up in the shadows (ie where your body blocks the blue light you see an orange shadow and vice versa.)

The fact that you also see the "subtracted" color in the body shading emphasizes that this done in-camera, as do the way the colors mix on the wall, and the shape of the shadow in image 3 (of the two men leaning on the wall.)

What the two images with 3 shadows (using red green and blue lights) really remind me of is going to Science Museums as a kid and seeing basically this same setup, where you can dance around and see your "rainbow shadow" move and change.

http://www.exploratorium.edu/snacks/...ows/index.html
http://www.exo.net/~pauld/summer_ins...ploration.html
http://www.sciencebuddies.org/scienc...hys_p035.shtml
http://www.learner.org/teacherslab/s...ows/index.html

Last edited by juliewood; 08-20-2008 at 05:25 PM. Reason: removed quote
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-21-2008, 02:33 AM

Yeah! that's exactly what my idea was..
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching