RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Retouching "Improving" photos, post-production, correction, etc.

D&B doesn't work ?

Old 08-18-2008, 05:30 PM

Re: D&B doesn't work ?

I can assure you no healing/cloning was involved. Like I said, I did add a low-opacity layer on top with a surface blur and some noise to soften the effect but I really, truly used D&B otherwise. I love how perfect you can make things with it.
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-18-2008, 09:55 PM

Hmm. I'll be the first to admit my love of the soft light technique. But aside from my hi-end work I do, it is more than acceptable to use other techniques depending on the end result of the image. No client wants to know that you spent a lot of time on an image that is needed for the National Inquirer(?). Unless they are not paying for all the extra time of course OR missing a deadline.
And there very well can be a bit of healing brush/stamp tool involved with a D&B image. There is always the issue of D&B leaving an area that was devoid of a skin "Texture" so it looks like an accidental hit with the blur tool.

Some images need the blur technique because the client wants that look. Can it be achieved with the soft light technique? absolutely. Takes a lot of time and patience and the ability to know what the underlying bone structure should be. It is very easy to create a break line in the skin if pushed to far or zoomed in to close to properly see where it needs to be done. Which is a good reason to have a second window open with a different zoom view.

And yes the healing brush is a great tool but it can leave some artifacts depending on the skin texture. But it has its place in retouching that shouldn't be ignored.

Chris
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-18-2008, 10:45 PM

Healing and patch technology have their place, but I rarely use it on skin these days, it causes unnatural inconsistencies in texture. With this exception: Where there are areas which become soft and blurred after D&B because there was no texture to begin with there. Thats when its time to create texture.
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-19-2008, 06:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Markzebra View Post
Where there are areas which become soft and blurred after D&B because there was no texture to begin with there. Thats when its time to create texture.
Agreed.
I believe I confirmed what you said earlier and what you have confirmed again.
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-19-2008, 10:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Markzebra View Post
...it causes unnatural inconsistencies in texture. ....
Yes, I agree with you and the previous posters, but ...

I think some retouchers (me included) have the urge to create something perfect, but forget they only do it for there own neurotic needs.

I just finished a series of 7 portraits. I used the D&B for the most part. I finished the series, re-finished the series and re-re-finished the images. Everytime I opened one of the images I noticed something not perfect in the skin, so I corrected the 'flaw' and had to redo all preperation steps for final output. The next time I opened the same image, I noticed something different I didn't saw before. I even had the thought calling my images back when I already delivered the images using e-mail, because I tested the RAR file and accidentally opened one of the images.

Maybe you can create something near perfect, but do you really think most end-users notice the subtle irregularly in the skin texture? Sometimes it's wise to step back and see if you are not becoming the Don Quichot.
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-19-2008, 11:48 AM

Yeah, I still don't get a good result yet from using D&B in retouching hi-rez fashion type images. I am teaching myself through tutorials here on the forums and other online sources. I am using a great high end fashion magazine GENLUX Magazine published in Los Angeles. This publication has outstanding photos of models with perfect skin and jewelry. You can tell just by looking at these images that a retoucher spent hours perfecting the retouching.

I also use a Wacom tablet as well. One thing that is important to get these high end retouching techniques down, is first being able to get some high end fashion images to work with. Unless you are in the industry already, these photos aren't easy to get, and nearly impossible if you don't have sources or an in somewhere.

Well anyway, I'm plugging along daily, hit and miss, as I'm sure many of us are who are trying to improve our skills. Most of my retouching gigs don't call for high end work like we see in print because most of my clients are just using images for websites, not going to press. Thanks for any help

steve
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-19-2008, 02:23 PM

Steve, I made some progress setting the brush to soft light mode as well as the layer...maybe worth a try
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-08-2008, 04:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by amica999 View Post
Steve, I made some progress setting the brush to soft light mode as well as the layer...maybe worth a try
Am I understand this right? You use the brush set to softlight on a 50% grey layer also set to soft light? Why would you set the brush to soft light? What is the advantage?

Ciao Sebi
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-08-2008, 11:03 AM

For me as a d&b novice I find it more gentle and with less saturation probs..just try for yourself
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-08-2008, 12:20 PM

Why you don't use a curve layer set to luminosity?
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching