RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Retouching "Improving" photos, post-production, correction, etc.

D&B doesn't work ?

Old 09-08-2008, 01:59 PM

Re: D&B doesn't work ?

i have too agree...i just can't get D&B to work....i get tonal diffs, and hard edges...like every time..
And i've been reading thread up and down..again and again....and did exactly what peeps telling/wrighting...but it just dosen't work!..

..and the most annoying thing is that it's no use answering...cuz it's always the same "did you fill it the layer with grey?"--Answer YES! "Did u use blending mode soft-light?"--Answer YES! "Did u adjust the opasity/flow?"--Answer YES! "Do u use a high-quality picture?"--Answer YES!...Does dogde and burn work for you--Answer NO!

...god, i can't wait untill a pro releases a good video-tutorial...tired of reading about D&B...i wanna see the whole 4-5-6 hour prosses on video....not reading the same over and over and over again...

Could be me being a total retard, but me PS3 is not....but as i said..just aint working!

Maybe it's time to give up....i don't know....but i will surly start bluring skin..untill someone realeses the whole D&B prosses on a video-tutorial...
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-08-2008, 02:04 PM

I think D&B need a lot of practice! Today I've done D&B for 2h ...and after that the retouched version was worse then the original...

Greetings
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-08-2008, 02:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirespen View Post
Why you don't use a curve layer set to luminosity?
I don't like the switching between the curve layers all the time..I have programmed a key on the wacom pen to switch between b&w paint, which makes it quite more comfortable to go through the image...
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-08-2008, 04:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by _Steve_ View Post
i have too agree...i just can't get D&B to work....i get tonal diffs, and hard edges...like every time..
And i've been reading thread up and down..again and again....and did exactly what peeps telling/wrighting...but it just dosen't work!..

..and the most annoying thing is that it's no use answering...cuz it's always the same "did you fill it the layer with grey?"--Answer YES! "Did u use blending mode soft-light?"--Answer YES! "Did u adjust the opasity/flow?"--Answer YES! "Do u use a high-quality picture?"--Answer YES!...Does dogde and burn work for you--Answer NO!

...god, i can't wait untill a pro releases a good video-tutorial...tired of reading about D&B...i wanna see the whole 4-5-6 hour prosses on video....not reading the same over and over and over again...

Could be me being a total retard, but me PS3 is not....but as i said..just aint working!

Maybe it's time to give up....i don't know....but i will surly start bluring skin..untill someone realeses the whole D&B prosses on a video-tutorial...
Steve, I'm in the same "rut" as you are. A surgeon can read a medical book on the theory of how to perform an operation, but until he/she actually assists a skilled surgeon "live" in an actual operation in the operating room,
that is where the real training takes place.

It's the same thing as taking piano lessons. We can read the music on the page, but we seem to advance faster in our study, working with a skilled teacher who can show us how to perform certain techniques. And I am one of those students who does better, seeing an hearing a technique in real time being demonstrated by an actual tutorial live.

steve
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-08-2008, 04:24 PM

well, another option is the healing brush on darken/lighten mode (empty layer w sample all layers) ...adaptive opacity, small brush for pore work, larger brush for overall toning adjustment...
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-08-2008, 05:36 PM

D+B works and it works great. The process is agonizingly slow in the beginning, but the speed will improve over time. It's not a technique for every retoucher. If you can't sit through with an image for more than 2 hours without resorting to some shortcuts, then it's probably not the technique for you. Try not to make it more complicated than it should be. This technique is really as straightforward as pencil on paper....literally. You do need to set up the file properly rather you use 50% gray, Dual curves, or straight on D+B method before you start the process. But, you can forget about the magic brush (shapes or sizes) and opacity setting. The only magic here is your ability to control the pressure of every brush stroke you make. Ever taken a drawing class where instead of drawing the contour lines of the subject, you draw the different shades of gray to form the overall impression of the subject, and also, drawing lights with white pencil on black paper? It's just like that. Obviously, not all students in the class will end up with the same result and why should it be same here doing it digitally in Photoshop? The more shades of gray you'll be able to create with a single brush the more you're likely to get result with this technique.
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-09-2008, 12:47 PM

SteveB2005:
Yeah, i know, but even tho i try and try and try....i'm not even close...
The pics look very "edgy"..and i got no clue what that's all about...i'm using a very low flow, ofc a soft brush...and still i get this ugly edges..i try to get the colors the same....and they do look the same...but when i zoom out....all ruuuuuubish!!!!

guess i still need to wait for that video
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-09-2008, 01:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by _Steve_ View Post
SteveB2005:
Yeah, i know, but even tho i try and try and try....i'm not even close...
The pics look very "edgy"..and i got no clue what that's all about...i'm using a very low flow, ofc a soft brush...and still i get this ugly edges..i try to get the colors the same....and they do look the same...but when i zoom out....all ruuuuuubish!!!!

guess i still need to wait for that video
Hi Steve. I'm in the same boat, I need a video tutorial to help me get on the right path with D&B. I have studied the tutorials here and tried the high curves, low curves, 50% soft light layer, healing brush, etc. it just doesn't match the pros look. And do I have the patience to work an image? Yes, absolutely. I spend hours on my other retouching/cloning assignments, so I can put the time in to master D&B.

This is getting like the transfer today of the infamous Col Sander's KFC chicken recipe, the "11 herbs and spices" being transported in an armored truck to another secret location. Now if they could just reveal the real "secret" D&B recipe.

No, I know what it is. All the great pro retouchers go up to this secret mountain top, after their apprenticeship period in a high end NYC retouching house, where the high guru of retouching, covered in a black cloak, a hood hiding his face, about 120 years old, offers his pupils the "secret" and a special proprietory plug-in that completes the assignment after all the pre-work is done. Eventually though, I think Mr Cricket will be offer some of his secrets in his upcoming retouching DVD.

Actually, last night, I worked an image for about 3 hours and got closer to a "high end" skin texture look with no blur whatsoever for the first time. I used healing brush, to smooth the overall image, clone tool at 10-30% lighten/darken, D&B layers with 50% gray, soft light, curves, etc. Maybe I'll get bold and post my result and wait for the pros here tear me a new one, hehe.

steveb

Last edited by SteveB2005; 09-09-2008 at 01:25 PM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-09-2008, 02:06 PM

Hey! May I see your your results? I'm also trying to learn D&B!
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-17-2008, 05:15 AM

is it possible to buy any course book or video where they show full d&b process ?
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching