RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Retouching "Improving" photos, post-production, correction, etc.

D&B doesn't work ?

Old 08-14-2008, 08:22 AM

D&B doesn't work ?

Hi

I tried retouch photo with d&b but I get nothing :/

On the 1st step i created new layer with 50 % gray ( blend mode : soft light )

2nd step I started to paint with low opaticy bursh on the layer ( white colour for dark areas , black for light areas )

This asciton lighten a bit dark areas , and darken light areas but didn't delete any skin detalies/
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-14-2008, 10:11 AM

Re: D&B doesn't work ?

No, you have to zoom in and almost at pixel level brushing the dark and light pixels. There is a reason that for most photographers and retouchers smoothing the skin is a much better option. It takes A LOT of time getting the desired effect. A smooth skin only takes a fraction of the time and is suitable for 90% of printed art.

Are you working for Vogue magazine? If not, maybe blurring the skin is a good alternative for your client or try the degrunge technique (see tutorials on this board). I like this effect also.
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-14-2008, 12:32 PM

I'm not working as a retoucher. When I'll learn d&b well - then try get traineeship on fashion magazine as a retoucher / dtp operator
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-14-2008, 04:55 PM

The only instances I'm doing a D&B soft light layer is for head shots, or where skin detail is very aparent. Otherwise, there are easier methods for making the skin look good. For example, if you print a full length portrait on a 9x12, it is highly unlikely that you'll be able to see pore detail.
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-14-2008, 06:16 PM

Set your brush opacity to 100%, flow to 2%. and hardness around 10%.
Zoom your image to atleast 500%. Paint with several small strokes.
Hope this helps.

ROY.
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-14-2008, 11:50 PM

wow.. do NOT zoom into 500% unless you know someone who in real life can zoom their eyes in 500%, going past 100% is almost unnecessary, because looking at a photo from such close distance never looks the same way as it would from half this distance or so. It also does make a difference what size the image is.. but generally I dont go past the 100% mark-there are always exception-because you want to edit out some acne but you have to look at it in relation to the area around it, not the next four pixels around it..
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-15-2008, 03:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by namphoto View Post
wow.. do NOT zoom into 500% unless you know someone who in real life can zoom their eyes in 500%, going past 100% is almost unnecessary, because looking at a photo from such close distance never looks the same way as it would from half this distance or so. It also does make a difference what size the image is.. but generally I dont go past the 100% mark-there are always exception-because you want to edit out some acne but you have to look at it in relation to the area around it, not the next four pixels around it..
No, this is a generalization you're making. Zooming beyond 100% can be necesarry for people who are not working on 35MP images. 100% can be too far away to comfortably target the skin problems. I ofen D&B on 200-400%, sometimes even a bit more on a 11MP image. I agree, people don't have 400% zoom eyes, but it's all about a good blend and D&B the pixels you need to change, not the ones surrounding those.

The TS must understand there are many recipices and building experience is the best way to choose the best method for your specific needs. For example, the 50% soft-layer method is for me not the best method, I prefer to work with seperate layers and adjustment curves.

Also, already stated, it's not always needed to get perfect skin. For most uses, smoothing is a faster and better approuch. Working on one image for 8 hours is NOT productive for most people.
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-15-2008, 07:04 PM

@Hendrik

better put, I just didn't like the previous generalization made before mine. all is well.
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-15-2008, 11:19 PM

Are you adding a new layer and then filling it with 50%?
Try this. On a mac (don't know PC and don't care lol) hold down your option key and then click "create a new layer" from your layer's pallet. A dialog box will pop up. Choose "Mode" and set to "Soft Light" then click on the box below "fill with Soft-light......(50% gray)" then you can use that layer to paint on (dodge and burn).
Hope this help!
~Nancy

-----------------------------------------------------------------
www.PhotoArt123.com
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-15-2008, 11:45 PM

In a PC "Alt" key.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching