Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Retouching "Improving" photos, post-production, correction, etc.

PWL paint with light?

Old 08-14-2008, 01:08 PM
PWL paint with light?

hi, i have recently been researching painting with light on my landscape shots and was just wondering what the actual difference is between PWL and dodge and burn, also what do you do when you are painting with light do you simply make the highlights brighter and the shadows darker? i know if you want a certain part darker or lighter then you apply whichever it is you want to that part of the photo but on photos that i don't want to change the light/dark areas what am i aiming to do with PWL, help is always appreciated many thanks!!

Reply With Quote top
Old 08-14-2008, 02:00 PM
Re: PWL paint with light?

Checkout these 2 tutorials:
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-14-2008, 03:34 PM

already read them thanks, don't really answer my question though
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-14-2008, 04:40 PM

It is my understanding that PWL is sort of global whereas D&B is at the pixel level.

Simplified explanation:

PWL.. after making preliminary corrections, add a black layer.. lower opacity a bit.. mask.. paint mask with low opacity black brush on the highlights.. finish off with color corrections etc..

D&B..Refer to already existing highlights/shadows and exaggerate and/or simplify them (even things out). Make a new layer, fill with 50% Gray and set that layer to "Softlight" and paint black or white (again, 0% hardness on the brush, 100% opacity, 1-5% flow) to carve down or up. Dodging and burning into a Gray layer will pretty much duplicate the effect of painting white and black, but sometimes it works better to use actual tones sampled from the image: a highlight that hasn't blown out, and a shadow that nice and dark, but still showing tone. This is useful if white and black are creating discoloration. Switch from dodging to burning and back again simply by pressing the "X" key. This method sometimes adds saturation to the carved shadows.

If I am wrong with this assessment.. I am sure that one of the more knowledgeable people here at RetouchPro will jump in and make the proper corrections
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-14-2008, 06:28 PM

There is no difference except that the standard 50% gray soft light combo used for dodge and burn is also used as PWL... however PWL may also use color burn and color dodge with their neutral colors for more contrast when darkening or lightening.

Remember some people think of dodge and burn using the editor tools rather then a 50%gray layer.

The two procedures are used in different ways in some contexts... Many when speaking of dodge and burn are referring to local adjustments to even tones...such as retouching skin.

PWL is mostly used to increase contrast and color to dramatise a subject or landscape.

The editors dodge and burn certainly have their uses but their results are harder to reverse if necessary. Most people will use a PWL routine rather than the dodge and burn in the editor because it is easily reversed.

Last edited by Daviskw; 08-14-2008 at 06:35 PM.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching