Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Retouching "Improving" photos, post-production, correction, etc.

Bill Simone breaks it down

Old 08-16-2008, 02:23 PM
Bill Simone breaks it down

The overall exposure was good, but lacked detail in the outer room’s shadow areas, and the bright area he is looking at was very bright as it happened to be getting hit by a direct bolt of sunlight.

I processed the file three ways, once for the normal, once for the shadows and once for the bright area. In Photoshop I stacked the processed Tiff’s and layer masked to reveal the areas I wanted.

The flattened file was good, manageable but lacked drama and contrast. But keep in mind, this was my intention at this step in the post process, as I had in mind my later steps.

Next I duplicated the blue channel, and copied and pasted it into a layer on top of the original, ran a pretty aggressive high radius, low amount unsharp mask on that layer and set it to luminosity.

After that some selective denoising using noise ninja was needed as this file was shot at ISO 400. I simply used the lasso tool to draw loose selections well feathered and then removed the noise.

Then began a process of isolating various elements in the photo and brightening or darkening them, and lots of Burning and Dodging using a mid gray softlight layer.

Sorry, I have no screen shots of these steps, as they move pretty rapidly and it is somewhat of an intuitive/interactive process, pushing and pulling, you know?

Finally, I increased overall saturation by about +8

Hope you enjoy!
His work on the boxer is excellent as well check out his blog.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching