RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Retouching "Improving" photos, post-production, correction, etc.

Purpose and Technique to Desaturate Fashion Photo

Old 08-29-2008, 01:55 PM

Re: Purpose and Technique to Desaturate Fashion Ph

thanks the the tips david... I tried putting a layer and desaturate -100 then overlay adjusting the opacity, but the details seemed to be blown out and lost. How do i recover the lost details??
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-29-2008, 05:20 PM

It makes me laugh when I read photo.net article like this..why bother writes something half-arsed when he states in the beginning that he is going to share a super secret tip and then go on saying secret is a secret. There are many different ways of desaturating the skin and you are better off working out your own way rather than trying to work out his remaining "secretive" incompleted steps. Like any other superficial expert advice, they would tell you in details what are the things least matter and hold out what matter most.

Last edited by singlo; 08-29-2008 at 05:25 PM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-30-2008, 12:37 AM

Hi Calbeee, I didnt mean to confuse you but as stated in my original post, I did not write that article, I was merely quoting the author. We are in the same boat here since I would like to know, as much as you would, the rest of his "recipe."

And singlo, I completely agree with you. Although I thought it was an interesting article, the author seemed to have boasted a bit too much for my taste. And dont get me wrong, I respect his right of not revealing his "recipe," but the way he said he would reveal his secret and then took the time to list several steps to only stop and almost as if to mock the readers for believing he would actually give away his secret was rather unprofessional in my opinion, especially in an article that is suppose to aid the photography community.

Anyway, some have suggested that the color tones can be obtained naturally from using film. If so, what are some common types of films used in fashion photography that would naturally give those results?

Thanks,
Daivd
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-30-2008, 02:49 PM

This isn't a recipe but if you shoot raw and use Lightroom you can try the HSL panel in develop. If you push all the sliders left you desaturate everything then you can use the spot adjustment tool to drag colour in and out of the picture. Like everything in Lightroom its fairly basic but with 8 channels which you can adjust for saturation luminance and hue it can create this type of effect with the right image.
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-01-2008, 12:51 AM

Thanks for the tip BobZZZ! I tend to do the color changes in PS since I prefer to do it after all the other retouches.
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-26-2009, 06:46 PM

any update on this look? a pro told me that you can do it via high pass filter, but i have not had any success. in fact i wonder if he purposefuly left out some details, because using simple color sat adjustment seem to give better result
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-27-2009, 02:45 AM

Run High pass at about 3.5 ish then set the layer to Saturation blending mode. Reduce opacity to bring some color back in.

But in all reality you are better off just creating a 50% grey (OR any grey) layer over your image then setting that to saturation blening mode. Then again reduce the opacity. This works out better as High pass tends to add some color Unless you make your High Pass layer black and white.

If you do a High Pass layer at max, then make black and white, and lastly turn to Saturation blending mode; it will give a hilight reduction/ shadow lifter effect as well as the reduction in saturation. Then again reduce the opacity to taste.

I just ran with what you said, and made some stuff up. So dont think this is what your pro is exactly doing. I learned a lot, thanks for the insperation.

Hope it helps,
-Keven
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-31-2009, 08:00 AM

I usually copy a channel (Usually the blue one) and paste it on a new layer that I blend, mostly overlay, multiply color burn and play with the opacity.
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-08-2009, 05:47 AM

Quote:
For the "peachy" look, you might try desaturating slightly, then adding a color balance layer. To the shadows, add some blue (somewhere around 10ish) and some cyan (a little less than blue). Leave the mids. For the highlights, add some yellow (again, about 10) and some red (a little less than yellow). This tends to give you that kind of look.
works fine for me.....

I love this thread! who has more tips?

Here is one of my results, just added an adjustment layer with a little red for the skin....
Attached Images
File Type: jpg f95faa9f9bb0e82ed754a9fd7dcd2ae3123392592337402313.jpg (38.7 KB, 246 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-08-2009, 06:07 AM

In fact i was looking for this kind of retouch, so i tried many ways, but seems all has different look, so maybe my retouch was not good enough or maybe the photos originally was not done properly.

I will keep trying anyway.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching