Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Retouching "Improving" photos, post-production, correction, etc.

Purpose and Technique to Desaturate Fashion Photo

Old 02-08-2009, 01:58 PM
Re: Purpose and Technique to Desaturate Fashion Ph

Not all photos are meant to be desaturated or color changed. Starting off with a great picture is the beginning, followed by GOOD cleaning up. Lastly, take what’s already there and emphasize it with a color shift. Never force a photo to have a color, you have to plan before hand that this picture is going to be sad, happy, angry; then edit the picture to look like it.

Color casts crate moods and if your picture does not match the color mood then it will look off.

My thoughts:
Red: sexy
Blue: sad
pink: love

Below are some links to the meanings of color:

Hope it helps,

Last edited by igot2pman; 02-09-2009 at 01:59 AM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-08-2009, 10:41 AM

This thread was created more than half a year ago, so I'm not sure, if it makes sense to add my 2 cents now. Anyway, I would like to try to come back to the original question...

As I see it (and I discussed this at length with a design teacher and a drama teacher), reducing the amount of recorded details and information always increases the perceived "level of abstraction". Drawings, e.g., convey a more abstract feeling the less detailed they are. A desaturated or black and white image obviously contains less information than a full color image; the same holds for images with a more "cartoony" look. The missing bits have to be added by our brain. Thus, we perceive the scenery as abstract or unreal.

The important part of this is that abstraction creates distance. Think of the arguments you have with your significant other: When one of you talks in abstract, general terms instead of in terms of "you" and "me", the other one often tends to go crazy: Abstraction feels non-emotional and uninvolved. Even a bit condescending.

So, coming back to retouching: We tend to feel more distant to an abstract scene, as we cannot imaging being a part of this desaturated or black and white world. This feeling of distance, however, is part of our modern times. Some photographers nowadays even cut away the eyes of their models and leave only the body from the chin downwards: We are not interested in the persons behind the faces - what matters is the look. The fashion.

Just my 2 cents. Any thoughts?
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-08-2009, 10:09 PM

I use to copy some channel, specially the blue channel and appying a 45% of opacity. For the other hand, doing the same but changing from normal to overlay is another good one.
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-09-2009, 09:58 AM

Originally Posted by MaximMorin View Post
(and sorry for the bad english, i'm a french guy so....)
No need to apologize, Maxim, as long as your English is waaaay better than most punters' French!
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching