RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Retouching "Improving" photos, post-production, correction, etc.

a quick question about lightroom

Old 08-21-2008, 05:13 PM

Re: a quick question about lightroom

i've been told lightroom is bridge on steroids, so i can see why some photogs would prefer it...
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-21-2008, 05:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by djslyda View Post
exactly, so why use lightroom for this?
Basically, it's as several of the posters have said. Lightroom is meant as a tool for pro photographers who have to quickly batch correct and sort large numbers of images. Once they get into a standard workflow, it is probably more efficient for them to go >lightroom > photoshop even when dealing with only a few shots (or even one), because they are used to doing it that way, especially when dealing with RAW images.
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-21-2008, 08:20 PM

I just opened Adobe Bridge, which I do not use, but I don't see anywhere in Bridge where I can correct color, exposure, remove dust spots, crop a photo or a miriad of other things I can do in Lightroom. When I'm in LR I can do all of the above to multiple photos at once, and the best part is, it's non-destructive. It does not permanetly alter the original file. I can always go back to the photos original state it need be. I'm not wanting to argue with you, I'm just saying if you want to use LR fine, if you don't fine also. Why don't you tell us why you don't want to use LR and PS as a duo workflow.
I'm sure if you use LR for a while, you'll wonder how you got by without it.
I'm a professional wedding photographer and after I download 800 to 1200 RAW images, I thank Adobe all night long for LR. It has cut my workflow in
half, because of the speed in which I can file, correct, keyword, and crop all my photos. Not only that, but you have a terrific print - slidshow & Web modules.
I can correct all the photos from a particular shoot, and produce a great slideshow all in LR.
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-21-2008, 10:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by garynh View Post
I just opened Adobe Bridge, which I do not use, but I don't see anywhere in Bridge where I can correct color, exposure, remove dust spots, crop a photo or a miriad of other things I can do in Lightroom. When I'm in LR I can do all of the above to multiple photos at once, and the best part is, it's non-destructive. It does not permanetly alter the original file. I can always go back to the photos original state it need be. I'm not wanting to argue with you, I'm just saying if you want to use LR fine, if you don't fine also. Why don't you tell us why you don't want to use LR and PS as a duo workflow.
I'm sure if you use LR for a while, you'll wonder how you got by without it.
I'm a professional wedding photographer and after I download 800 to 1200 RAW images, I thank Adobe all night long for LR. It has cut my workflow in
half, because of the speed in which I can file, correct, keyword, and crop all my photos. Not only that, but you have a terrific print - slidshow & Web modules.
I can correct all the photos from a particular shoot, and produce a great slideshow all in LR.

You have to double click on a thumbnail in Bridge and it opens in Camera Raw with all the tools you need for the corrections you mentioned... same as Lightroom and you can do batch corrections and not jump through all the hoops you do in Lightroom with collections,etc. I'm not putting Lightroom down.... if it works for you, that's all that counts.
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-22-2008, 04:11 AM

Lightrooom is absolutely indispensable for me:

First, I use it for library management- I have close to 50,000 photos in my library and when I get back from an extensive shoot, I may have as many as 500-1000 photos to go through. Lightroom handles the import beautifully, organizing my photos by their EXIF data. I sort by date and start selecting photos to edit.

Lightroom excels in its filtering system. 3 levels deep, there are nearly 100 different combinations for filtering your photos. This feature helps me enormously by letting me flip through hundreds of photos, separating them into flagged/unflagged/rejected photos, and then 5 different star ratings. I can edit down from 1000 photos to 100 in about half an hour and finding photos is a breeze, especially when you start assigning keywords to them. Sorting by date may be good if you only have a few hundred photos from most days, but when I have to find the 30 photos that I *really* liked out of the 400 that I shot 4 months ago, Lightroom's filtering system becomes more of a necessity than a perk. Add to that the ability to sort out every photo I've ever taken of a certain model by keyword, or the ability to group background resources for compositing the same way and I think you'll really start to see where the benefits of Lightroom lie.

I also enjoy the exporting capability of Lightroom- my website (http://michaelbonnerphoto.com) was created entirely in lightroom and when I need to update it, it's as easy as adding the 'website portfolio' keyword to the photos I want included, going to the web module, and clicking upload. Granted it's more of a slideshow of my portfolio than the fully functioning website of a professional photographer, but when I have the time to sit down and design an actual website, I see the Flash gallery capabilities of Lightroom as quite a positive.
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-25-2008, 03:02 AM

Hi, for me LR is perfect to sort, catalog, adjust, and print photos (don't forget the excellent print module) but, when it comes to fine retouching and working with a lot of layers and adjustment, mixing two or more pictures, PS is a must... or I have miss something!
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching