RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Retouching "Improving" photos, post-production, correction, etc.

a quick question about lightroom

Old 08-21-2008, 09:50 AM

a quick question about lightroom

hi, i have been admiring some of the work on flickr by guys that say stuff like "90% lightroom 10%photoshop" (http://flickr.com/photos/7401855@N08/2393432141/) what can you do on lightroom that you cannot on photoshop?
thanx!
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-21-2008, 11:06 AM

Re: a quick question about lightroom

Basically nothing. But a lot of photographers (me included) like to work with Lightroom to "develop" the photographs as far as possible, then switch to Photoshop for just the stuff you can't do in Lightroom.

But there are no tools in Lightroom that you do not have in Photoshop, just maybe a bit more intuitive.
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-21-2008, 11:15 AM

ok, but why split the work between 2 programs when it can all be done in one?
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-21-2008, 11:53 AM

Bulk Processing + Easy adjustments + Library management + Quick Previewing is all easier in Lightroom. The more advanced editing you can't do in Lightroom, so you switch to Photoshop for that.

You don't HAVE to use both, but each has it's own advantages over the other one.
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-21-2008, 12:30 PM

Lightroom is supposed to work better with RAW images than Photoshop.

The primary difference is that Lightroom doesn't actually edit the images; it edits a file describing the changes you make--non-destructive editing. This makes editing a lot safer and means you don't lose data when you run a filter, as you would in Photoshop.

Lightroom provides a more intuitive interface for "developing" images than does Photoshop. Photoshop is a bit of a sledgehammer approach when it comes to developing photos--it does the job but may not be the best tool.
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-21-2008, 01:51 PM

Im not so sure about LR doing a better job with the RAW than photoshop since both use ACR engine for raw handling.

But as retouchn00b pointed out, the fact that all LR changes are stored either in their internal database (bad idea or in a xml file together with the raw (better idea is worth a lot.

And as DjSoulglo said, LR is perfect to organize and handle loads and loads of photos. Photoshop has batch capabilities and bridge can be used as a catalogue, but me personally prefere Lightroom for this.

For me its a question about fast workflow. I can really quickly after a shoot get images fixed (not fully retouched) and get the client to review them and select the shot or shots they want to work with. We're talking minutes from shooting to having a online web based gallery for the client to go in and have a look. Of course, this can be done inside photoshop aswell. but LR is a lot faster to use for that.

Then when the client have decided on images, i take those into Photoshop for final retouching. Simple, fast, and each program has it's place in the workflow.
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-21-2008, 04:28 PM

Smile Re: a quick question about lightroom

djslyda:
Think of this, you shoot 50 photos and realize you had your camera set to the wrong white balance. Now using photoshop, you have to go in and change each and every photo, one at a time. Using Lightroom, one click and they are all corrected.
But the main reason Lightroom was developed, as was eluded to in the earlier posts, is for the terrific management of your photos. With keywords, quick catalogs and everything else, I can find a photo I took last year in about 5 seconds. Try that in Photoshop. Now I do still use Photoshop for my major enhancements, bluring the background, removing artifacts, adding misc. lighting effects etc. etc. So it's not a matter of which one do you use. You pretty much have to use them both to get the full benifit out of the programs.
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-21-2008, 04:39 PM

but if you are not someone who would NOT leave their "white balance" on the wrong setting (which is most people) and you are not batch processing photo's then why will a person use lightroom rather than photoshop, as for finding photo's i took (even) 2 years ago, i can find them within 5 secs also because i folder them all by date so I PERSONALLY cannot see any advantage to using lightroom, i hope someone can tell me that i am wrong and that lightroom is better at certain "things" than photoshop but if the only difference is batch processing and speed of processing then please enlighten me, many thanx for the replies.
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-21-2008, 04:46 PM

you can also batch process and search by keyword with bridge...
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-21-2008, 05:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pixelzombie View Post
you can also batch process and search by keyword with bridge...
exactly, so why use lightroom for this?
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching