RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Retouching "Improving" photos, post-production, correction, etc.

Skin color problem (nikon D80, CNX2, Photoshop)

Old 08-23-2008, 09:40 AM

Re: Skin color problem (nikon D80, CNX2, Photoshop

Thats what I heard. So the as I understand the right color management workflow should look like this:

Pictures comes from my camera (Nikon D80) in Nikon Adobe RGB color space (the widest possible in ma camera settings). Then in RAW software (CNX2) they are converted to PROPhotoRGB, processed, and saved as master NEFs (Nikon RAW files). Some of them worth additional retouching comes to PS as 16 bit PROPhotoRGB TIFFs. Affter they are retouched I save them also as 16 bit TIFF files in PROPhotoRGB and make additional copies for specific output (print, lab, web....) in correct output color profile (sRGB, CMYK or different).

Am I right????
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-23-2008, 01:18 PM

Hi.
This is not an expert comment!

I thought that a raw image was just "raw"
and from a raw image it has to be converted into any choosen colorspace with the image processing program of your choice.

So I wonder how you can know
"Adobe RGB color space (the widest possible in ma camera settings)"

I guess that Adobe RGB is the widest colorspace your camera can produce if you choose jpg output.

*/Lazze
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-27-2008, 01:22 PM

I shoot around 200 families a month. I use JTL monolights, 0 Sharpening, 0 Tone compensation, Adobe RGB, 0 Saturation, 0 Hue adjustment. I use CS3, and print on a Cannon IPF6100, with custom profiles for each paper I use.
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-27-2008, 03:02 PM

JTL lights are a good value but not studio quality lights. You need to custom white balance for the actual color temp they are providing at any given f-stop setting (light output adjustment not camera f-stop) which is not likely to be 6500K or "daylight". If you need to balance for ambient light you can gel your lights. Makes more sense to start with a correct light WB than to fix it later either in your camera with hue adjustments or in editing.

I have not seen it with Nikon cameras, but with the Fuji S2 and the Canon 5D files I would always reduce saturation by at least 10% and sometimes 15% This in itself would help a great deal.

DSLR sensors and their output files which are all converted according to the companies' engineers idea of what is "correct" color and this varies widely, even model to model. More saturated output is common with consumer level DSLRs in the belief that the user is going to go straight from camera to printer.
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-28-2008, 02:21 AM

Thanks guys I'm sill trying to solve this issue. I'll write soon about the results. Bye for now, and thanks ones again.
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-28-2008, 07:45 AM

Are you sure you are using your camera correctly to capture the images in the first place? Raising the ISO can produce odd discolorations in skin tones, especially in mixed light.

I know the D70 can produce horrible skin tones and maybe the D80 does as well. I've never had experience with either camera since they aren't quite pro cameras.

A RAW file is not an image. It is a collection of data, pretty much all the working data gathered by your sensor. Whatever software you choose to do your RAW conversion can make a big difference. Each RAW converter gives slightly difference results. You would think the Nikon software was the best for a Nikon camera, but I don't like it.

RAW files have no in-camera processing. Once you capture all the data within the dynamic range your current settings will allow, your camera will produce a jpg preview interpretation of that data. In the preview window you generally see an image of what you tried to capture. Color space is not an issue and neither are those image enhancement options in-camera. Usually the camera company's software will allow you to apply those same toy options later if you like.

You should do as much editing as a RAW as you can. The majority of changes will be non-destructive and you will not lose image data. Just about everything you do to a jpg causes math to be performed on the pixel data and runs the risk of reducing the quality of the image.

As far as final color space, save your RAW files and all your options are open. When converting to jpg, the color space can depend on what the image is for. For the internet, you want sRGB, although most browsers still ignore color profiles. For printing, the lab will have a color space they prefer. Our labs all use sRGB. ProPhoto has more colors than you can see or print and changing color profiles in a jpg can cause terrible color shifts sometimes. In books, you will read things like Adobe RGB is the way to go for printing, but no one told that to most of the pro labs.

If you are getting terrible skin tones at capture on portraits, I would get a new camera. The best camera I've seen for skin tones is the Fuji S5. It has a slow buffer and isn't suitable for sports photography. But it is great for portraits.
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-21-2009, 05:23 PM

Hi -
I guess I'll throw in my two-cents worth. I have both Nikon D80s and D300s. I am shooting Nikon RGB (same as Adobe RGB 1998) on all cameras. I leave the cameras on the A white balance for all my shooting. I shoot with studio strobes and/or daylight and/or mixed lighting. I try to shoot at the lowest ISO settings I can. I use a grey card or ExpoDisk in all my pro image sets, and use Nikon Capture NX2 to white balance the images. It usually gets the color right. I use the camera's default settings otherwise. You can also use the saturate/warmth in the color menu to adjust the images. I seem to get good skin tones when people are in the images.

Gary Silverstein
www.weshoot.com
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-27-2009, 01:30 AM

This is going to injure some peoples brains... but I shoot my D-80 in the s-rgb color space to start with.

Think of this...what are my outputs? One is the standard color processing lab...call them up...they will tell you that their printing machines print pictures in the s-rgb color space...no matter what you send them... because that is what their print machines are capable of printing at this time. I live in NYC. The print machines around here are s-rgb based.

My next output is the Web. The web is set up and is standardized to reproduce the s-rgb color space natively in the browsers. If your images are anything except s-rgb...then your images will look different on the web than what you were thinking they should look like.

So, Guess what? I use s-rgb in Photoshop too!! Yes I know that Adobe RGB or ProPhoto produce larger color gamuts...so what? I cant print them or show them on the web and take any advantage of them in the end.

SO...to keep yourself from going crazy...Shoot in s-rgb...Photoshop in s-rgb...and let your pro quality print houses print your images in s-rgb because thats all they can do with todays technology...and post to the web and get predictable results.

PS> If you dont have a $2200-$5500 full gamut standardized color profiled monitor you wont be able to see all those pretty Pro colors perfectly as well...and if you dont have a $200 spider monitor color calibrator...then youre never, ever, going to get predictable consistent results anyway without it... because your monitor will have its own color cast and throw your print balance way off.

It might be that the original poster has a monitor that has a color cast to it...and when he photoshops it he is creating a file that will print totally opposite of his problem color. I work with a D-80 and I get great flesh tones. Keep everything s-rgb...and calibrate your monitor...and have a happy life!!
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-28-2009, 06:39 AM

I have a friend who has a D80 (I have a D700) and I have never seen those problems with these cameras but certain illumination gives some redish tones to the skin. I personally like setting the camera without saturation (it feels more realistic to me). In-camera settings you can move the tint slider in order to achieve more perfect skin tones while shooting, but that option is not auto adaptable, meaning you should change that everytime you change your lighting settings. I preffer doing all the adjustments in the RAW Editor instead in the camera, and mostly because the camera screen is not so good like any other bigger display and the shown image is just a Jpeg and the histogram is based in that Jpeg file too.

About color profiles, better to use Adobe RGB 1998. Apple Cinema Display gamut beyond sRGB, so better the Adobe color profile. For printing, that will depend where you print. Photo shops just handle sRGB but other places can handle Adobe RGB 1998 and even at 16 bits (there is a new printer from Epson which prints at 16 bits Adobe RGB 1998 which uses HDR Inks).

About Capture NX... well... it's not so good like Lightroom for editing, but the fidelity is really good if you need to keep your pictures the same you do with your camera. If you're on Mac, Aperture is a good option, photos looks almost the same than in Capture NX isntead in Lightroom the color shiftng is much noticeable. The problem with Aperture is that destroys the dark tones if you try to fill light those areas.
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-03-2009, 01:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ray12 View Post
So, Guess what? I use s-rgb in Photoshop too!! Yes I know that Adobe RGB or ProPhoto produce larger color gamuts...so what? I cant print them or show them on the web and take any advantage of them in the end.

SO...to keep yourself from going crazy...Shoot in s-rgb...Photoshop in s-rgb...and let your pro quality print houses print your images in s-rgb because thats all they can do with todays technology...and post to the web and get predictable results.
While this method may work well for yourself, it isn't a widely accepted POV and I might caution anyone following this workflow. Yes you are correct in your statements – your photolab will want it in a small color space as will the web. However edits in such a small working space leaves less room for adjustments. Further, your images will be locked into today's technology when keeping them open to future advancements is of no more difficulty. Bring your RAW files into a prophoto workspace and should you need to send to the web or your printer, export them in sRGB – easy as that.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching