RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Retouching "Improving" photos, post-production, correction, etc.

Skin color problem (nikon D80, CNX2, Photoshop)

Old 08-22-2008, 04:14 PM

Skin color problem (nikon D80, CNX2, Photoshop)

Hi there,

I'm shooting with Nikon D80 with 50mm f/1.4 lens. I've setup my camera to the Jason Odell recommendations (sharpening +2, Tone compensation -2, color mode II Adobe RGB, Saturation 0, Hue 0). Unfortunately the skin looks to red on all of my photos. I'm using 2xSB-28 for lighting and have my camera WB set to flash. For RAW conversions I'm using Capture NX 2 and then Photoshop for real retouching (both in PROPhoto RGB color space).

1. Anyone shooting D80 know how to adjust in camera settings to improve skin color?
2. Anyone using CNX 2 know what adjustment would be best for batch processing applied during import (the one I found is to bring down red channel curve but it's quite hard to find the sweet spot.
3. MOST IMPORTANT: I watched couple of DVDs about retouching (Chris Orwig, Lee Varis...) and as I've learned the correct CMYK ratio should by C 1/3-1/5 to MY and Y higher then M (lee Varis - about 10% higher). In my pictures I have bright skin areas where there is no cyan (exp. C-0, M-28, Y-30). Is it correct (Cyan at 0) cause when I start to bring it up the picture becomes terrible. I don't know if it's ok and I should work only with M and Y ratio or remove the red skin parts with Hue/Sat, or I have some serious problem with my camera when it comes to capturing right skin colors????

Please help cause I'd like to focus more on creative lighting, shooting and retouching and stop fighting with this TO MUCH RED NO CYAN problem.
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-22-2008, 05:21 PM

Re: Skin color problem (nikon D80, CNX2, Photoshop

You could try using a manual white balance setting and see what you get.
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-22-2008, 05:49 PM

why do you use the prophoto colorspace if the camera is set to adobe rgb?
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-22-2008, 06:49 PM

I've heard PROPhotoRGB is best photo editing. It has wider color gamut. For example Lightroom is set to work in PROPhotoRGB.

Actually I think it's not a question of white balance but the problem lies in the way my camera renders skin colors (thats what I think). Now It's a question how to adjust the camera to render the skin colors better or how to correct them as batch RAW adjustment in CNX 2.

The last think that bothers me is lack o cyan in the brightest parts of skin. Is it acceptable??
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-22-2008, 07:19 PM

Shooting with my Nikon D2x I find the skin tones too ruddy for my taste. I prefer the skintones that I get when I shoot sRGB, Color Mode 1, I set the hue to +3.

Some individuals still come out too ruddy, so I set the eyedropper to read HSB and take reading of the skintones on neck or forehead. For most people I like a hue reading of around 21-27 depending on ehnicity. Caucasian skin - 21-23 for most people. I don't read the cheeks because they will usually run a hue of about 15. Then if I need to move the skintones more, I'll open a hue/sat layer , select reds in the menu and move the hue a little more to fine tune them to get the desired hue. If it effects other parts of the image that I don't want effected, I paint the effect away in a layer mask. I'm not great with calculating CMYK values - I much prefer HSB measurements as it's easier for me to visualize and measure.
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-22-2008, 07:19 PM

prophoto has a bigger colorspace than adobeRGB, but that doesn't mean it's a better working space...the lack of cyan is a big problem as that's where the "shape" is in a typical fleshtone...
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-23-2008, 02:49 AM

Thanks Pixelzombie. Our discussion about color profiles gave me an idea, and I've found solution for my no cyan problem. I had PROPhotoRGB set to my default working space in CNX 2 and unfortunately CNX discards embedded camera profile and applies PROPhotoRGB and that operation completely ruins my skin color on each picture that goes threw the software. Now I've changed my preference settings and all photos comes with camera color profile and I'm changing it manually in CNX. OK now a serious question: Should I edit my pictures in PROPhotoRGB or Adobe RGB???
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-23-2008, 03:01 AM

i don't know of any output devices that support such a large colorspace as prophoto, it doesn't make sense to work with colors that you won't be able to reproduce especially when a lot of photolabs want your images to be in the sRGB space(gasp)...
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-23-2008, 03:30 AM

Probably You're right. Wandering why some pro photographers recommend PROPhoroRGB workflow???
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-23-2008, 06:59 AM
Patron

Print technology is constantly improving. In order to future proof yourself, work your images in the widest color space available and always keep that as your archive master. Then when sending copies out to print, create a copy whose color space has been converted to sRGB or the custom profile provided by the photo lab.
Regards, MM
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching