RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Retouching "Improving" photos, post-production, correction, etc.

adding noise on the face

Old 08-25-2008, 02:36 AM

adding noise on the face

sorry but can´t give a link to an example. The idea is to add details (texture) on persons face in portraits but it is added afterwards by making a new layer and "noise" to look like grain on film material. But how to do this correctly and is this method used in fashion shots, or where? Of course this is not only on face but the whole photo, I guess.

I think that the problem is to make this noise texture on the new layer so that it looks like grain. Should I use a filter (what filter?).

Hopefully someone understands what I try to chase....
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-25-2008, 06:05 AM

Re: adding noise on the face

you should use 'alien skin' or 'grain surgery' plug ins. they both give you a lot of control over shape, size, roughness, intensity, color etc of the added grain.
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-25-2008, 08:32 AM

thanks Sinisa, I appreciate your advice. Do those plug-ins work so that they make an extra layer consisting of only the noise and then you "lessen the opacity" of the layer and the photo is watched through the noise layer? And the noise layer is in b/w.

The other option is that the grain is added to the original picture.

I don´t know if this makes a different effect on the photo. I am interested about the technique where the extra noise layer is developed on a separate layer and then adjusted to one´s liking. But how to make only noise and adjust that layer´s contrast, the size of the grain and so forth. This means that I could have some different noise layers in store and then choosing which one suits best to the photo. Confused? I am.
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-25-2008, 06:28 PM

yes, they make an extra layer on the top and yes, you can lessen the opacity of it.

best thing would be to download a trial copy of this software and play with it.. it's simple to use, flexible and very effective. i use it on almost every image i work on.

note there's a huge difference between noise and grain. noise pixels are square and ugly, grain is round(ish), and you choose the size and softness. it pulls image together, especially if it's been manipulated heavily, and it looks natural.
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-25-2008, 06:31 PM

http://www.alienskin.com/exposure/index.aspx
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-25-2008, 07:23 PM

>>>>>>>> they make an extra layer consisting of only the noise and then you "lessen the opacity" of the layer

Add a new layer on top -fill with 50% gray. Change blending mode to soft light. Add noise or grain to that layer. Adjust opacity of layer.
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-25-2008, 08:36 PM
Patron

have you tried - main menu>Filter>Artistic>Film Grain on a new 50% Gray layer in any of the appropriate "light" modes including Overlay and opacity or fade adjusted to taste?

save as a PSD and you can use it as a texture or for displacement.

Last edited by 0lBaldy; 08-25-2008 at 08:47 PM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-25-2008, 10:27 PM

I regularly set up a new layer above the one I want to add noise to. I make the new layer 50% gray by filling it with a gray color that is 128.128,128. You can also get a gray layer by alt clicking the add new layer button on your layers palette and by choosing soft light as a blend mode...then it will ask you...do you want to make it 50% gray...say yes!

Add.. Filter> Noise to the layer... and then adjust the opacity to taste... for the effect youre looking for. You can free tranform this noisy gray by doing a control T and then you can increase or decrease the size of the grains to taste. I also add a layer mask (black) to this layer...then I paint with a soft white brush to make the noise go exactly where I want it to show up...and however strong I want it to be.

Best of Luck!

Suzzie
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-25-2008, 10:39 PM

I also apply a bit of gaussian blur to the noise, to achieve more photo-realism. "A bit" being "to taste", as well as resolution of the image file.

Last edited by pixelpro; 08-25-2008 at 10:40 PM. Reason: extending response
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-26-2008, 12:58 AM

"50% Gray layer" , that´s it! That will be the starting point, I have read about it and now I know I will achieve what I wanted in the first place. Needs experimenting and adjustings but that´s the right road. Thank You, I would not have discovered this by myself!
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching