RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Retouching "Improving" photos, post-production, correction, etc.

Need assistance in creating a particular style

Old 08-30-2008, 10:58 PM

Re: Need assistance in creating a particular style

Whats with wedding and portrait photgraphers and putting crappy ass music on ther sites, ughhhh ....puke! Im sorry, I only got through the first couple of words to the song then I had to close that site, looks like results from any of the tons of plugins you can buy for ps, that simulate film look, ya know, big color shifts, plugged up blacks, over saturated tones, grainy overlays, etc. noting too magical going on there, its your basic photos with some creative preset treatments that make you go oh my , its so gorgeous, and the music helps to really set the mood too
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-30-2008, 11:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aperture1 View Post
It's also worth mentioning, I've gotten photos I've taken to look very similar to these photos, but there's something missing with regard to the contrast or color curve and I can't quite put my finger on it. Since it's a no-brainer to you, I would love to hear what it is.

Hit any number of the presets in adobe lightrooms develop panel and it will not only get you in the ballpark, but it will almost valet your car right into the first parking spot for you. The scratchy overlays, noise (err grain) and such would be done outisde of that
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-31-2008, 09:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by garibaldi View Post
Whats with wedding and portrait photgraphers and putting crappy ass music on ther sites, ughhhh ....puke! Im sorry, I only got through the first couple of words to the song then I had to close that site, looks like results from any of the tons of plugins you can buy for ps, that simulate film look, ya know, big color shifts, plugged up blacks, over saturated tones, grainy overlays, etc. noting too magical going on there, its your basic photos with some creative preset treatments that make you go oh my , its so gorgeous, and the music helps to really set the mood too
WOW! Now thats a reply! I thought the first one was rude and condescending, but this one takes the cake. Garibaldi, if you don't like providing assistance and constructive input, why do you bother even typing the words. It's strange someone would become so enraged and childish by looking at a website. I actually like the way that photo looks, that is to say, my eyes are please by it and the music, I think, is a nice touch. Now, stating that, it is an opinion, and you should respect that; not come one the thread that *I* started and start waling away about how the world is ending with sarcasm, poor spelling, poor grammar, and ridiculous statements about how easy it is to make those kinds of photos. You're an embarrassment to the craft.

Now, I know this photo is not rocket science, in fact, since posting this, I've achieved the results of the color and tone fairly quickly using just Lightroom and/or Photoshop. I guess the hard part is the recipe itself, i.e. what texture looks good with what photograph and what method to blend it in with. I have to say though, this forum has not impressed me so far with it's responses. Mostly cocky, condescending losers reply to a thread to make themselves feel superior to someone genuinely interested in finding assistance.

Thanks for all the help guys, you've been amazing
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-31-2008, 01:04 PM

Oh for Christs sake dont get your panties in a bind! Tell you what, Ill come over to your computer and sit on your lap, you put your hand on your mouse, and ill put my hand right over yours and ill guide you around your mousepad and lead you over to the Direct Positve preset on the lightroom develop panel, then move you over to the HSL slider and we can tweak each color independently, then go down to the split toning panel and add some color to taste, then if that not good enough we can shoot the image out to ps and apply a curve layer and hit the cross process preset up in the top, then set it to soft light and adjust it from there, maybe also dup the layers and put a gaussian blur and then mask it with a gradient, and then so a texture overlay and crush it ontop of the image. LOL is that better? Come on man realx yourself, this is the internet, nobody has manners up here dont you know that? Im standing by my opinion though, the music does suck, I dont care what you say, and the rest of the site doesnt make sense its like reading Star magazine. Maybe you shoudl call him and ask how he does it, his number is (333)-333-3333 and his office line is (444)-444-4444

Ok for real though, and this may be a little off the point, but still, there is no real big magic to what is done to those pictures, I apologize if my sarcasm rattled your cage, and my spelling, well, eh whos got time to spelll check these days with gas prices as high as they arte. So a wedding photog usually winds up with a buttload of images, and more often than not they are using quick and dirty presets or set actions to process, since going through and edit with as many images as youd walk away from a wedding with would be quite time consimung.

So now are you happy?
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-31-2008, 01:45 PM

Your thread asked for help in creating a particular style and gave a website as an example. Unfortunately, the images on that website were all fairly standard images with a few very basic effects. There is no particular identifiable "style" to the images. I did ask you to point out what in particular you would like to duplicate, but you did not respond, despite your claim to be "genuinely interested in finding assistance".

I cannot see how this comes across as condescending. If you bother to read some of the other threads you will see people here going to extraordinary lengths to help others with both very basic and some nearly impossible problems. However, the person asking for help must be able to clearly identify the assistance required and be willing to work with his would be helpers by providing clear answers to their questions. I doubt that demanding help and then insulting everyone who is trying to help you will get you very far anywhere.
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-31-2008, 02:38 PM

hm... re the music. "Enter artist name - 03_Chasing_Pavements.mp3"

Why does this smell of a unlicensed use of music to me? =) I mean a google takes about 2 secs to find the artist (Adele), and to use it on an obviously commercial webpage aswell.

And yes, it's a bit OT to the post but there isnt much about that post processing that haven't already been mentioned =)
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-05-2008, 12:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Verywierd View Post
Your thread asked for help in creating a particular style and gave a website as an example. Unfortunately, the images on that website were all fairly standard images with a few very basic effects. There is no particular identifiable "style" to the images. I did ask you to point out what in particular you would like to duplicate, but you did not respond, despite your claim to be "genuinely interested in finding assistance".

I cannot see how this comes across as condescending. If you bother to read some of the other threads you will see people here going to extraordinary lengths to help others with both very basic and some nearly impossible problems. However, the person asking for help must be able to clearly identify the assistance required and be willing to work with his would be helpers by providing clear answers to their questions. I doubt that demanding help and then insulting everyone who is trying to help you will get you very far anywhere.
I must admit I was taken back by the last response I had gotten. Sure, I asked for help and have been a little slow to get back to this thread on the specifics, but I don't think it warrants the sarcasm and condescension that was laced in the reply. If you can't see it, I can highlight what I interpreted as pure condescension and criticism that serves the ego rather than the subject matter.

I'm sure you're right about the assistance people receive on these threads and many people are very helpful and enjoy providing assistance to others without the same level of experience--that's why I joined this forum; that being said, it appears others also see it necessary to write long, protracted replies about how the photo is so "simple" to make and is terrible anyway. That's not exactly the kind of "assistance" one would expect, even if they hadn't yet gotten around to posting the exact details of the assistance they require. I think you are sidetracking here about how I did not provide specifics as of yet, therefore the replies I've gotten are all I should expect. And lets be clear, I'm not the one who started this, I was responding to what I thought was a clear and distinct contempt for the assistance I was requesting because of it's simplicity and poor quality as judged by the aforementioned individuals.

Now that that's out of the way, I will post some examples and specifics this weekend sometime, I just didn't like being ambushed. You have to admit, the initial replies basically distilled down to "well you're retarded for not knowing how to do this and they're bad photos anyway". Most people would have a defensive and visceral response to that.

Thanks for the input and I will re-calibrate my expectations.
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-05-2008, 10:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HuBBa View Post
hm... re the music. "Enter artist name - 03_Chasing_Pavements.mp3"

Why does this smell of a unlicensed use of music to me? =) I mean a google takes about 2 secs to find the artist (Adele), and to use it on an obviously commercial webpage aswell.

And yes, it's a bit OT to the post but there isnt much about that post processing that haven't already been mentioned =)
It's actually just a template example. I don't think it's a real website.
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-05-2008, 12:02 PM

People pay good money for that style of wedding photography?

The in-laws must be rolling their eyes ..............
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-05-2008, 01:07 PM

Man,

I must be out of my mind. I think that stuff looks pretty sweet.

To each is own I guess....
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching