RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Retouching "Improving" photos, post-production, correction, etc.

Need assistance in creating a particular style

Old 09-05-2008, 01:17 PM

Re: Need assistance in creating a particular style

You have a mother in law? Show it to her.
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-05-2008, 01:20 PM

I look forward to seeing your examples. I have to admit that I am curious as to what you are trying to achieve. It really doesn't matter what others think of the site, so long as it can help develop your technique. I'm still learning myself, so I can't guarantee that I will be able to help, but I will certainly try.
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-05-2008, 01:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benny Profane View Post
You have a mother in law? Show it to her.
Oh come on, of course there are "old people photos" and then there are photos that a 20 something year old couple would find edgy and cool. That's the beauty of non-destructive editing, or layers. You can crank out copies for both audiences....the old school B&W/Sepia and then the (what I consider) newer, bolder, active light photos where they look best when viewed on an HDTV or monitor. That being said, it's not a signature style I'm trying to achieve, just another trick in my hat for certain photos for certain times.
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-05-2008, 05:05 PM

I grab any fancy pants PS actions I can find and dissect them to see if someone is doing something cool that I don't know. It's really all very Borg.

My wife uses Boutwell's (Totally Rad) actions. This effect you speak of resembles one of those. If you use Rusty Cage, you can create that fuzzy, orange/red effect quite similar to some of those photos. It takes about 3 seconds, if you have slow fingers. I think Rusty Cage uses a duplicate Gaussian Blur layer blended with Multiply for its glow, creating a darker cast, a curves adjustment layer that bumps up the red and lowers the blue, a levels adjustment where the output levels are shifted, and a channel mixer w/monochrome checked where the blue/green are +25ish and red is +50ish. After all this, stamp visible and set blend to screen. Just like a cake recipe, adjust each adjustment layer until desired.

Take a photo shot at a wide aperture, toss Rusty cage on there, then some noise or a texture overlay, and halleluyah and amen. Tweak adjustment layers and call me in the morning.

But you are right about there being some funny business in the tones and contrast. Only...now... no one is laughing.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching