RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Chat Room

Photo Retouching "Improving" photos, post-production, correction, etc.

Advertise Here

Retouching men...

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-29-2008, 04:45 AM

Retouching men...

Hi there,

I'm just starting my photography and retouching carrier and I'm in a really funny situation. I had portrait session with my friend (rock musician) and now I'm working on retouching some of this shoots. All retouching workshop, dvds, books, web tutorials that I watched, red..... was about retouching women (fashion, beauty, glamour....) After playing with couple of pictures I have an impression that they all look to metrosexual (actually for this project it's acceptable and my friend is really happy with the results). Have You got any ideas, techniques, tutorials, inspiration pictures of professionally high-end retouched men pictures (with a real men look)???
Old 08-29-2008, 05:03 AM

Re: Retouching men...

You can emphasise skin a LOT more with men than with women. That includes harsher lighting when taking the photo to make them more rugged in appearence.

What i feel you should avoid at all cost is any form of smoothing or softening the skin. As it is a musician you should be save with going for a more high contrast , hard look.

But as you noticed, not too many tutorials out there about retouching men. All you find seem to be some way to mimic Lucis, Joey Lawrence, Dave Hill and thats kind of been overdone quite a bit.
Old 08-31-2008, 04:53 PM

I agree with HuBBa. I wouldn't smooth out the skin (just a general "clean up"). Men look great with their flaws (which add character and masculinity!) I think that a high contrast look is a good idea. You could also use a cross process effect or a b&w with sepia tone. Obviously, it all depends on the original image and the look that you're after. If you post your image or something similar, I'm sure you will receive more detailed responses

If I find any good examples, I will post them here.

Good luck!
Old 08-31-2008, 06:01 PM
Patron

Not necessarily High end or Professional but a lot of different variations here of a male head shot (Retouch challenge - Male headshot)

Lower in this thread (retouching-men) (posts 5, 10, 12,13) they discuss how far to go with male retouching.
Old 09-01-2008, 03:37 AM

well I've looked at these challenge photos and actually in my opinion they are either to soft or to sharp (with emboss effect and exaggerated sharpening) for my taste. When it coms to my photos (the one from this rock musician session) they are mostly the soft level then these from the challenge, but because I didn't use any smoothing techniques (just manual tools like dodge and burn, healing brush and clone stamp) they are more natural looking. (I'll try to add some samples as soon as I'll have release from the client.
Old 10-03-2008, 01:24 PM

Try looking at the male headshots that i have retouched on my website.

Headshot Retouching
Old 10-03-2008, 07:52 PM

you can always retouch as normal and then bring back some of the textures, it really depends on what look you're going for. here are a couple of my examples dunno if it will help or not http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3112/...bbd8a67d_o.jpg

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3211/...30f0b4dc_o.jpg
Old 08-23-2009, 06:33 PM

With men if you plan on photographing them first, you should use a concealer and a translucent face powder. The concealer takes the circles out from around the eyes and takes the redness away from around the nose/chin. The powder keeps the shine down. If needed use a toothbrush and vaseline to lightly exfoliate the lips...something men don't really pay that much attention to as women. Wipe the vaseline off well afterwards. When you edit the photo, just take out the major imperfections, like a pimple or circles. Even leaving some lines around the eyes is okay or a scar, since men are expected to look more "rugged". And depending on the situation it is okay for a man to be sweaty or have oilier skin..just not for proper portraiture photographs.
Old 08-24-2009, 02:15 AM

Being a photographer and retouching most of my own photos, I am here to say don't worry about the retouch, worry about the light. Leaving a guy's face dirty and gritty does not make him a man; just makes him dirty. The only thing that really separates men from women is the facial structure: the jaw, cheeks, etc. To emphasize these traits try using a harder light source such as a beauty dish or a silver umbrella. Bringing those hard shadows underneath these areas can really make a man look like a man and yet you can still retouch them in a way that makes them look dirty.