RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Retouching "Improving" photos, post-production, correction, etc.

Different levels (brands) of retouch

Old 08-30-2008, 05:31 PM

Different levels (brands) of retouch

Hi there,

As far as I know as there are different genres of photography there are also different types of retouching. My basic problem is that I' a perfectionist type o person and I'd always want my pictures look like taken from magazine cover. Of course there is no possibility to spend whole day o each photo trying to eliminate every single flyaway or a tiny darker skin patch.

Where to put the line between simple everyday portrait, promo shot or fashion/glamour retouching. First of all how much time, focus and patience should be put to a simple portrait. I'm just starting my photo/retouching business. The simplest package I thought about was a 1-2 hour shooting session then client chooses 5 photos which are retouched and he gets them on a CD. I'd like to achieve the effect of a beauty shot when it comes to women but don't want to spend whole day working on every single imperfection of the photography.

What are You doing in this kind of situations? Same useful quick techniques, maybe some actions etc.????

BTW what kind of retouching levels are You offering to Your clients? Could You quickly write what kind of modifications or improvements each level include?
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-30-2008, 11:17 PM

Re: Different levels (brands) of retouch

R,
I think once you put yourself in the situation that all of your income comes from what your clients actually purchase, your tendency to spend time on what they will not buy will go away. You simply cannot afford to put time and effort into what they will not purchase, whether an image or a level of retouch.

I come from the old school where the levels were divided as follows:

Level 1, 5-10 minutes; comes with shoot:
- remove larger imperfections, distractions.
- basic color correction.
- basic/general clean up of shot.

Level 2, 15-20 minutes, comes with shoot:
- skin smoothing.
- improve catch-lights.
- improve glare.

Level 3, 30 - 60 minutes, extra charge:
- modify skin color to add glamour, contrast.
- improve eyes, lips, overall facial features.
- improve hair.
- sculpt body, face, etc.

Level 4, time varies, extra charge:
- global changes to color, lighting.
- adding special effects.
- adding your own special/creative touches.

I don't think many people share their actions, etc., as they are part of their personal investment in their business... in a sense, they are an intangible asset. Since you make your money by automating tasks (spending less time doing repetitive tasks, squeezing in more work) why give it away?
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-31-2008, 06:33 PM

What it would be an average (or range) prices for those different levels?

Where do you put jobs like background removing (simple and complex clipping path), background removing with hair, leaves, etc.

I found that a clipping path it can be a 5 minutes job or a two hours jobs depending on the image. Has anyone an accurate pricelist for all the retouching jobs?
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-01-2008, 04:43 AM

Well I think it's really hard to give some prizes (of course I'd like also to know how much pros are taking for different retouching jobs) because the prize differs from country to country. For example I can't take the same money as someone from USA or Western Europe because I'm from Poland.

BTW I'd really like to see some photo examples of different retouching levels (the best would be the same picture in different versions from original out of the camera to highest retouch level step by step)
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-24-2009, 07:24 AM

[QUOTE=R_Leszczynski;204433]Hi there,

As far as I know as there are different genres of photography there are also different types of retouching. My basic problem is that I' a perfectionist type o person and I'd always want my pictures look like taken from magazine cover. Of course there is no possibility to spend whole day o each photo trying to eliminate every single flyaway or a tiny darker skin patch. QUOTE]

Sodo I bro HAhahAHhA!!!! Yeah... When having 300 pics to retouch in 4 days you will think a plan, then you will love PS actions
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-24-2009, 07:26 AM

You can charge 5 dollars per picture, but don't spend more than 15 minutes in each picture.
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-01-2009, 01:31 PM

Hi

If you are the photographer I think it would be wrong to charge the client for retouching glare, adding catchlights, etc and colour correction. These things wouldn't/shouldn't be happening to a photgrapher. He should know how to avoid taking photos without ending up with these problems in the picture.

Of course it's not the your fault if the client has bad skin etc. thats where you should be paid for retouching.

Good Luck
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching