RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Retouching "Improving" photos, post-production, correction, etc.

Getting rid of those ugly halos

Old 09-02-2008, 05:22 PM

Getting rid of those ugly halos

Sometime i like to get very dramatic skys into my picture in photoshop because the original sky was boring or something like it.

So i work with this technique to outmask the old sky...but there are always bad halos. If shot a Mercedes Benz ML in the nature with lots of trees and stuff like that around and on the edge between ground & earth there is always a halo.

How can i get rid of them? Is there an alternative way to change the sky?

This is what i mean:

Last edited by jonny_choceur; 10-07-2009 at 09:41 PM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-02-2008, 08:26 PM
Patron

Re: Getting rid of those ugly halos

Jonny, images like that where trees / bushes / grass border on sky or ground can be difficult if the contrast between colors is not high. Often to create a mask the standard selection tools do not produce satisfactory results. Using one or more of the channels, using another color space, using channel combinations with Calculations or Apply Image, or special Blend Modes are some of the ways to obtain the separation you need. Also the use of Feathering, Defringing, or Matte Removal will help produce a smooth transition.
Every image is different so there is no single recipe of what to use.
Why don't you post your image and let some members try to create a mask. You will then receive some feedback specific to that image and likely more than one technique that works.
Regards, Murray
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-02-2008, 09:06 PM

I would agree with Murray. Improving the method you use to create the mask is very important. It is unfortunate that today most look for the quickest way to create a mask (no offense intended). However, quick usually does not translate into good.

Your image is very good and deserves the time spent creating a good mask, producing the best possible result. There are lots of good references out there for creating better masks, all of which use Photoshops' own tools... no third party app's needed.
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-02-2008, 10:38 PM

Group a blank layer to the background with the trees and leaves....Try different modes such as Multiply, or Darken.

With the layer grouped any painting will only be on the tree limbs and leaves. Use your sample tool to pick an appropriate color and paint the halos away.

Even perfect masking will not always work because light often refracts around shiny limbs..and some things like leaves are semi-transparent so you will never mask a light sky and replace with a darker one without halos.

There are other ways of course.. the sky often gets lighter at the horizon so you can sometimes apply a gradient to the mask to keep the luminosity the same at the junction of the trees and sky.

With some pictures especially with hair... you can duplicate the mask then on the top mask use a filter like Maximum to slightly shrink the mask . On the original size mask change the mode to Multiply. The small mask on the top layer will reveal the regular hair while the larger mask below will show the ends or hair tips and they will be darkened because of the multiply layer mode.

Butch

Last edited by Daviskw; 09-03-2008 at 08:23 AM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-03-2008, 08:25 AM

I have two Photoshop video tutorials dealing with fixing the sky. One is designed to repair washed out skies and is very easy and efficient and does not leave halos. The other is for PS3 only and deals with masking the sky completely so that you can replace the sky with another.

Check the tutorials here or link to my tutorials in my signature. These may be of help.
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-03-2008, 01:39 PM

Just a simple question, have you tried to feather your selection? what I would do is select over the branches a little bit, so I can come back and feather the selection and the blend the two layers. Maybe like that will give a better result. Just an Idea. Photoshop has a lot of different ways to obtain the same result it's all about trail and error.

God Bless!
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-05-2008, 04:15 PM

Ok, here we go. Maybe some of you can show me the ultimate way...

Thanks already!

@swampy: i used your tutorial but it didn't work out right on this picture or i made some mistake.

What does "feather" mean by the way? I checked leo.org but I don't get it. Sorry...no foreign speaker.

Last edited by jonny_choceur; 10-07-2009 at 09:43 PM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-05-2008, 04:46 PM

Jonny... I'm not sure what you want to do. You've posted two pictures. Do you want to composite the car using the darker clouds picture for the sky?

Feather means to soften the edges. Usually applied to a mask or in some cases applied to an extraction that is on it's own layer.
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-05-2008, 07:30 PM

Below is a quick example of the technique I posted above. I didn't take a lot of time on the mask so it could be much better.

Check out the layer examples.

Butch
Attached Images
File Type: jpg horse1.jpg (99.2 KB, 84 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-06-2008, 02:58 AM

Try this method found on Lynda.com in Deke McClellands Photoshop CS3 Channels and Masks: Advanced Techniques. It is the last five exercises of chapter 10. This is in the trial section so free to try. By this point in the exercises it is assumed that one has a good grasp of masking.

It is essentially what Daviskw is describing in his last paragraph except that the transition between the multiply layer and the foreground image is blended with a smooth transition instead of a sharp cut off.

http://movielibrary.lynda.com/html/modPage.asp?ID=506

One difference between my example and what Deke shows is that he starts with a mask and I started with an extraction made with Mask Pro. The extraction needs to be converted into a mask and then used like in his examples. To convert the extraction to a mask, ctrl-click on the icon of the extraction in the layers pallet. This will load the selection of the extraction. Then click on the add mask icon at the bottom of the layers pallet to add the mask to the extraction layer. Continue as in the exercises.

The curves 2 layer is to lighten the background clouds layer slightly. My extraction was pretty good to start with and I did not have a lot of haloing but this method brought out more of the detail in the fine tree branches.

Larry
Attached Images
File Type: jpg _MG_51181-LL.jpg (94.1 KB, 49 views)
File Type: jpg Snagit0053.jpg (50.5 KB, 30 views)
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching