RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Retouching "Improving" photos, post-production, correction, etc.

Sort of retro processing to pictures from Olympics

Old 09-07-2008, 04:46 PM

Re: Sort of retro processing to pictures from Olym

all his backgrounds including track and field events are totally clutter free, no referees or officals or even distance markers so its obvious he does some clonning to isolate the subject in its environment perfectly. Back grounds are also quite flat looking almost like a matte painting and have little contrast (a little like rarindra). Also there is some deffinate artifical light and additional highlights are added for sure..there is also a desaturated look too with some vintage overlay quality...either way they images are awesome, sharp, well composed, great timming and clever post process, i love this guys work.
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-08-2008, 04:19 PM

Those images are composites, the backgrounds are fake. I would not be surprised if the athletes are shot in studio or lit and then dropped into the backgound. Its great looking, but look at it from a reality standpoint, you really think you can get back and sidelighting like that on an athlete during olympic competition?, no other competitors or officials around?
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-08-2008, 05:11 PM

it looks like he took those shots during training sessions when the stands would be empty...
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-09-2008, 01:41 PM

I would agree with the previous posters that the background may not even be really there in the photo and the athlete was added. Or, he took the picture during the off-hours while the athletes were training.
As for the colour of the photos, it looks as though there are some sepia filters added and he used a cross-processing look. You can get it by making a curve adjustment layer and making the red and green channels s-curves, and the blue channel an inverted s-curve. Then change the opacity, play with blending modes... see what happens.
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-10-2008, 01:10 PM

I might be wrong, but I think this is the guy who did the promo for Nikon, and shot all this stuff with the D3. If it is, then it's all shot on location for real. :-)

That said, it looks like flash- lots of guys at sporting events set up wireless SB type units around the field (especially by the finish line) to fire synched to their camera. It's easy enough to dial in an exposure over the ambient and get the shot every time.

Otherwise, it looks like a long lense so the background is blurred, and then standard photoshoping- color filters, playing with blend modes, etc...

It's also doesn't have to be training sessions to have empty stands. They could be photoshoped empty, or were just really empty. Even t the olympics they had big problems with many events not having enough spectators. And if it's something like discus throwing in a stadium for 100,000 people, then they will only use the seats at one end for the event, where people are close enough to see. (Why watch discuss from a football field away? and 100,000 never show up for something like discus or javelin) So it's likely the seats at the end from where the photographer is, are indeed empty. :-)
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-11-2008, 05:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dennisonb View Post
I might be wrong, but I think this is the guy who did the promo for Nikon, and shot all this stuff with the D3. If it is, then it's all shot on location for real. :-)

That said, it looks like flash- lots of guys at sporting events set up wireless SB type units around the field (especially by the finish line) to fire synched to their camera. It's easy enough to dial in an exposure over the ambient and get the shot every time.

Otherwise, it looks like a long lense so the background is blurred, and then standard photoshoping- color filters, playing with blend modes, etc...

It's also doesn't have to be training sessions to have empty stands. They could be photoshoped empty, or were just really empty. Even t the olympics they had big problems with many events not having enough spectators. And if it's something like discus throwing in a stadium for 100,000 people, then they will only use the seats at one end for the event, where people are close enough to see. (Why watch discuss from a football field away? and 100,000 never show up for something like discus or javelin) So it's likely the seats at the end from where the photographer is, are indeed empty. :-)
I am not so much into this kind of sport but I do not remember any remote flashes around sport fields. If they were allowed every highlight will be followed by a storm of hundreds of photographers' flashes.
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-15-2008, 05:39 AM

Carlos Serrao is a great photographer that has been shooting for AAA clients for years now. Some of these were shot in a studio (most of the track and field ones), and he doesn't do his own retouching. The rest was probably shot on location with a bunch of lights put on the empty track.

Funny how the Nike Campaign for Olympics (this one) and the adidas campaign

http://theinspirationroom.com/daily/...never-a-given/

Are amazingly similar looking. Like them both.
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-15-2008, 06:42 AM

Interesting how everyone quite confidently states how it was shot yet the opinions differ radically!

The conclusion is that no one really know how this was done. Shame. Post-processing is lovely, I guess some curves with masks but do not know what else.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching