RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Retouching "Improving" photos, post-production, correction, etc.

What is the feather when make a new channel?

Old 09-06-2008, 02:27 PM

What is the feather when make a new channel?

When I use lasso for a selection, know the feather I'm starting out with.
When I use a duplicate channel and load a selection from that , what is the edge feather I am starting out with? thanks.
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-06-2008, 03:53 PM

Re: What is the feather when make a new channel?

zero, none, zilch
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-06-2008, 05:23 PM

thanks, thats what I would think, but then why does so many of the borders ( make from channels) seem to smooth (ie when viewing in Quickmask) , as opposed to a selection made with the lasso at a zero feather setting, (which looks very hard edged)
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-07-2008, 04:35 AM

Heres some theory: Selections and channels are interchangeable. They are the SAME THING. When you get that flashing dotted line thing that marks a selection its only a crude preview - in an 8 bit image the 256 levels can represent greyscale OR transparency. Each layer has a greyscale transparency mask associated with it anyway - this is viewable by command clicking the layers transparency and then Q entering Quick Mask

Your crude hard edged selections (where the channel equivalent is either black or white) are just that, crude
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-07-2008, 03:09 PM

Thanks M, I get the gist of that, but what I'm saying is that when you make a mask from a duplicate channel, those edges always seems nice and and smooth out of box without doing anything, am I right about that?
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-07-2008, 03:28 PM

Nope, depends on the channel whether its "smooth" or not. If you mean you duplicated lets say the blue channel from a photographic image and are using THAT as your selection, then yes chances are its "smooth". Your still not being specific enough about what you are doing.
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-07-2008, 05:17 PM

That's what I'm saying. you admit the blue channel will be smooth. The edges viewing in quickmask.

Sort of like if I draw a lasso with a 2-5 feather.

In others words I have yet to see a channel load up a selection that looks like a hard edged 0 feather from a lasso selection.

I hope that's clear. was it?
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-07-2008, 06:29 PM

Nope not really. is English the first language?

You really want to see a jagged channel? Choose your tragic wand, uncheck anti-alias in the options bar - then after you made your serection hit the new channel icon ( this is at the bottom of yoar chaneels palete). Now look at the channel - see its all jaggedy isnt it? Alternatively take your duplicated blue channel and apply Image/adjustments/threshold - then apply the Stupid Blur filter to whats left of her face.

Sorry its been a bad day
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-07-2008, 06:51 PM

Sorry, I did not understand that too much. What the point? I am trying to ask if there is something inherently in using channels that make smooth edges. I'm not sure i"m getting anywhere, or that I'm being lucid enough to be understood. I talking soft/hard edges.
(do appreciate you being the only one answering -- and I take responsibility, in that maybe i'm not clear enough in what I'm trying to get answered)
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-07-2008, 08:40 PM

I'll take a stab at this one.

Kevs, Photoshop (PS) has different ways of showing selections. The marching ants only show pixels that are 50% selected or more. However, alpha channels and quick mask can show pixels of any selection % by using a gray-scale representation.

You are correct in that selections from alpha channels may look soft on their selection edges... due to the partial selection capability of using a soft brush, feathering, etc. I attached an example below that shows pixel edges of a lasso w/0% feather within the composite image vs quick mask using a hard edged brush (100% hardness, 100% opacity) on both the RGB channel and the Blue channel. Yes, there is a difference. Quick mask makes a soft edge, but only with the brush. A lasso within quick mask mode produces a hard edge, as expected.

Why ? Everything is working correctly. It is simply due to the fact that the brush tool always creates partial selections of adjacent pixels. Even a brush set to one pixel will partially select adjacent pixels on a straight line. The larger the brush, the more pronounced the effect. Only a tool that allows you to turn off anti-aliasing, i.e. the line tool, will make a clean edge. I have attached a blown-up view of selections made with a brush vs the line tool. You can see why you get soft selections with a brush, and hard edges with a line (at least when it's straight, not when it crosses pixels though).

I hope this simplified explanation helps. It can be explained in more detail, but I thought this was better. If not, let me know.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Selection Comparison QMvLasso.jpg (103.8 KB, 6 views)
File Type: jpg Selection Comparison BrushvLine.JPG (33.8 KB, 14 views)
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching