RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Retouching "Improving" photos, post-production, correction, etc.

What's your favorite fashion magazine?

Old 09-27-2008, 08:17 AM

Re: What's your favorite fashion magazine?

hey

Yeah, I guess... :P so, are you connected? If so I heart you!!!

Nah, I'll have my time with them one day. So far I only have a friend in Esquire London, but that's still a hundred shoots or so away from Italian Vogue ;P

They just started publishing Elle here in Denmark. Decent mag, but far too many ads and stories.
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-27-2008, 03:03 PM

Unfortunately, not connected (yet)... Things are kind of funny in Italy... Sadly, Italians have to find fortune abroad before finding it here! The grass is always greener on the other side!

In any case, Esquire London is a good start and you're not Italian, so maybe after Elle Denmark (despite the ads and stories) and 99 shoots, you just might find your luck in Italy!
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-27-2008, 03:12 PM

Has anyone seen the October issue of the Italian magazine, Amica? There's an editorial by Christophe Cufos where the model's skin has been left "as is". I actually think there's some extra sharpening going on, which enhances the natural texture and "flaws" (or is it the photography?)! It also appears as though more texture was added to the skin in some of the images. Ultimately, the hair was left alone... Mistake or statement?
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-28-2008, 05:22 PM

When they say "as is" do they also mean without any makeup or just not retouched?

If makeup is allowed, that can bring it a loooong way though.

Need to go grab me a copy of Amica i think =)
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-28-2008, 06:07 PM

Ciao Hubba,

When I say "as is", I mean not retouched... In this case, little makeup was used. I hope you find a copy of Amica... I'd like to hear your opinion!
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-28-2008, 06:47 PM

seriously good magazine from london.... extremely hard to get hold of copies though....

LULA MAGAZINE
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-28-2008, 07:03 PM

Thanks for the link, P_fuzz... Looks like a very nice mag!
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-29-2008, 03:35 AM

Baglady, i haven't checked out the mag yet. But the reason i got interested is that i did a shoot yesterday that actually i feel need very little retouching. Attached to this post is 4 frames from that shoot, all fairly closeups taken directly from Lightroom. Be gentle though since ive not even done exposure fixing on them (so they are a tad dark right now), basically came back to studio, loaded in the files, exported from Lightroom.

These show in my opinion though still that really good makeup will reduce significantly or even remove the need for any hard retouching.

And considering about 25 out of 350 shots will be used (as this was a catalogue shoot for a webshop) i'm happy i dont have to D&B 25 images
Attached Images
File Type: jpg _MG_3773.jpg (34.9 KB, 27 views)
File Type: jpg _MG_3809.jpg (33.9 KB, 22 views)
File Type: jpg _MG_3829.jpg (40.7 KB, 26 views)
File Type: jpg _MG_4016.jpg (48.5 KB, 19 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-29-2008, 06:09 PM

Ciao Hubba,

Thanks for sharing your photos with us! You're absolutely right... I don't see much need for retouching here (only minor adjustments)... The skin looks very nice! My favorite is the third image.

The photos that I mentioned (in the October issue of the Italian magazine, Amica) definitely didn't have the same skin! I'm talking big pores, lots of skin detail and messy hair!
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-30-2008, 01:42 AM

Ciao =)

I suspected that they had pushed the envelope a bit. This in my opinion is a little bit misgiving since if you have models with good skin, they will look almost flawless with a little bit of makeup. But ofcourse if you grab some poor model with heavy skin-issues (which incidentaly isn't that uncommon since they are selected for their lack of healthy eating habits then with minmal makeup and maybe tough lighting it will be hello crater-ville in the skin.

But as the 3.rd image show even harsh lighting can look good on the skin if the skin & makeup is good.

So question is if Amica wanted to go for the shock effect ("look how they look in reality!") or if they just didn't cast their models proper It does seem to be a bit of a trend right now that they dont cast their models for good skin at all but rather for different aspects and then rely on the retouching.

I really need to go get that issue though
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching