RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Retouching "Improving" photos, post-production, correction, etc.

Improving skin... Techniques for the body

Old 09-21-2008, 10:49 AM

Re: Improving skin... Techniques for the body

Quote:
Originally Posted by BagLady View Post
Ciao Javier,

Yes, please explain... I thought it was used to scale objects or text in a nondestructive manner. From what you say, it seems as though it might come in handy with the multiple degrunge high pass layers as suggested by Cuervo.
you can find "convert to smart object" under your layer's palette, or option+click the layer you want to convert! after that all the filters apply to this layer will become editable "sub-layers"

is that what you asked? or am I crazy?
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-21-2008, 11:49 AM

Ciao P_fuzz,
no, you're not crazy but maybe I am! ... I was simply trying to understand Javier's suggestion (post #34) on using smart objects for applying filters and making adjustments!
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-21-2008, 11:51 AM

Or maybe he converts the layers to smart objects so that he can use smart filters...
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-21-2008, 11:52 AM

Quote:
It sounds like in interesting technique... It's still hard to see the skin texture in the 100% crop that you've linked. The skin is obviously smoother, but I can't see the pores. Good call on the slight hair desat. I prefer the original lip color, and would have done more d&b in the chin area. Her eyes look a bit bloodshot. But hey, that's my opinion!
Turns out flickr resized my photo so it isn't a 100% crop, the temp link (I'll remove it in a week) is this http://www.podergt.com/sigs/01.jpg

The eyes aren't blood shot but I guess I need to start seeing that as "need to change" on a normal basis. waiting on your opinions.

Regarding your smart objects question, if I'm not mistaken the smart filters come into play in CS3 right? smart filters you use with smart objects where you can edit the settings done to them. First you convert a layer to a smart object and after you apply the filters, they become attached to the layer in the layer window in a drop down menu, you can also make them invisible if you want like layer FX.

Cheers
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-21-2008, 11:56 AM

Quote:
Ciao P_fuzz,
no, you're not crazy but maybe I am! ... I was simply trying to understand Javier's suggestion (post #34) on using smart objects for applying filters and making adjustments!
ciao,

that is what it is, you use the smart filters on the layers so you can always go back.... but you cant apply adjustments on them, only shadow/highlight.

hey I like this forum.... I've been learning a lot and I only discovered this in 3 weeks!!!
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-21-2008, 12:11 PM

Thanks for the explanation, P_fuzz!

The learning process is never ending, and this is a great place to find an infinity of useful information and very friendly people!
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-21-2008, 12:14 PM

:::amen:::
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-21-2008, 12:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cuervo79 View Post
Turns out flickr resized my photo so it isn't a 100% crop, the temp link (I'll remove it in a week) is this http://www.podergt.com/sigs/01.jpg

The eyes aren't blood shot but I guess I need to start seeing that as "need to change" on a normal basis. waiting on your opinions.
Cheers
Much better... Now we can see your work! I think the skin looks nice. Maybe "bloodshot" was a bit harsh... Let me put it this way: I would remove the red blood vessels and whiten the eyes a bit. But again, this is my humble opinion!
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-21-2008, 12:30 PM

We've only been talking about the degrunge technique, nevertheless I've been enjoying this thread! I'm always happy to learn something new!

How about a bit of discussion on non blurring techniques for the skin? I use D&B, which gives excellent, natural results but would like pick your brains on skin (color) correction with channels and/or numbers. I seem to have problems with using values and numbers and can't grasp this technique... Is it more effective than creating a selective color adjustment layer (for evening out skin tones)?

Any comments on your D&B techniques are also welcome!

Thanks in advance!

BagLady
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-21-2008, 12:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cuervo79 View Post

Regarding your smart objects question, if I'm not mistaken the smart filters come into play in CS3 right? smart filters you use with smart objects where you can edit the settings done to them. First you convert a layer to a smart object and after you apply the filters, they become attached to the layer in the layer window in a drop down menu, you can also make them invisible if you want like layer FX.

Cheers
Yes it looks nice! Did you use only Highpass layers or also something else?
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching