RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Retouching "Improving" photos, post-production, correction, etc.

D&B Actual techniques which professional uses.

Old 09-24-2008, 05:54 AM

Re: D&B Actual techniques which professional uses.

I think that Amy Dresser PSD file that have been floating around proves that quite well. Someone actually commented on the D&B layer looked almost like she had taken the original image and somehow "magically" converted it, but in reality, what was done was very very careful painting and detailing which in the end almost looked like a pencil sketch of the original image.

There are no shortcuts when doing D&B. If you want quick and dirty look elsewhere. It is a bit like the Ferarri of retouching. It's not for everyone, but everyone seem to want one
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-24-2008, 08:29 AM

i must add that you need to know the human body and have basic knowledge of lightning to do dodge & burn, without them is a bit complicated to achieve a good result.
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-24-2008, 11:45 AM

I think ashkumar not want all these. He told that he readed many threads and discussions. He actually want to learn it on an image.
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-24-2008, 01:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashphotoart View Post
I think ashkumar not want all these. He told that he readed many threads and discussions. He actually want to learn it on an image.
I understand that. However, even if someone were to produce a 100 photograph sequence showing the original image, retoucher lightening a pixel here and darkening a pixel there, and the final flawless result, it would not tell him WHY the retoucher chose to change each of those particular pixels, and more importantly, how to do it correctly on a different image.

Anyone who has seen a good cartoonist draw a figure from scratch will know what I mean. It's like magic.
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-24-2008, 02:43 PM

I would say they do that so you do not have that smudgy look where it was obvious you Cloned...
the Long tidiuos D&B method shows no after effect as you are just lightening or darkening the blemishes but leaving the original texture. Been doing that for many many years. Nothing new and no trick.
Most people Blur and Clone to death and it is so obvious where they have done it.
Some people do it on 2 curves layers or the softlight layer method. Both achieving the same thing.
Then you can use it to give more depth to your images.
Has 2 Uses really.
Snook

Last edited by snook305; 09-24-2008 at 04:09 PM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-24-2008, 02:53 PM

Iam in love w/ DnB... especially to achieve depth and shape up things.... I have just used in some product shots job I did!!! Amazing!
All 3d fancy...........
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-24-2008, 05:01 PM

Its true I think that its easier with some drawing experience. I recognise that the subtle shifting of tones that I need to do is easier for me because I would have spent years learning to draw as kid, particularly enjoying shading, subtly rubbing a pencil to darken and then rubbing the pencil or charcoal off to lighten. Some experience in this will make it second nature when using a wacom pen to do the same thing.

"Then you can use it to give more depth to your images. Has 2 Uses really" - thats right there's textural repair, and tone - two separate activities which you may like to keep separate. I try when I've got time to keep them separate because it makes things more editable.
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-24-2008, 05:27 PM

I think that the textural repair requires less artistic ability (but a lot of patience!), while adding depth definitely needs an artistic eye! I agree with keeping the two things separate... Curves for textural repair and a 50% gray, soft light layer for "sculpting".
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-24-2008, 06:34 PM

heh just shows there are more ways to skin a model

I actually do it the opposite way around. I use curves for sculpting and a soft light layer for textural repair.
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-04-2008, 08:28 AM

Thanks you all guys,

I've found a very good videio tutorial and that is exactly what I want. I learned this technique very well.

Thanks you so much all. Now I want to turn myself to use brushes. do you knows how to use brushes for eyebrow, lips, eyelashes. I'm going to create an seperate thread for it.

Ashkumar
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching