RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Retouching "Improving" photos, post-production, correction, etc.

D&B Actual techniques which professional uses.

Old 10-06-2008, 02:06 PM

Re: D&B Actual techniques which professional uses.

Heh well considering the new 5D mk2 will hit the market with same res as the 1DS Mk3 (21 MP) i suspect we'll be seeing a lot more need for proper (as going in and fixing every pore) D&B.

Oh and my first camera was a EOS D60 actually, 6MP and boy i loved that one. Actually took this with that camera and it's been blown up to A2 size. Food for thought when everyone is hunting the megapixels

(Oh and go easy on the retouch on that, it was done before i had learned anything
Attached Images
File Type: jpg linda_b.jpg (57.5 KB, 348 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-06-2008, 03:48 PM

Yes whether its necessary or not do proper dodge and burn, or whether you can get away with shortcuts (by this I don't generally mean filtering obviously) is really dependent on image quality. Somehow though, taking the time to manually work an image whether on the surface it looks like it needs it or not, can add to its "value" - the ones you work harder on can reflect that work in some way, even though this is not logical, my experience is beginning to suggest that.

As for Luminosity, sometimes it works - it does take each RGB channel and applies the same values off or on all 3 channels - so on things things heavily red and yellow it generally causes hue shift, but once in a while its a shortcut that comes in handy and its important to know its there. In CMYK, back in the days when I was having to work in CMYK all the time, luminosity worked wonders. Somehow the unequal spread of Cyan is less harmful - for density changes in CMYK its an incredible and quick tool tool
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-06-2008, 04:28 PM

Chris would you be able to respond to that article for dummies? Its a little technical for me.
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-06-2008, 08:31 PM

I came across this tonight...basic iintro for those who are new to D&B

http://www.photoshopcafe.com/dnb.htm
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-08-2008, 01:48 PM

Hi Chris, Thanks for posting your 50% gray layer. It just shows you how time consuming dodge and burn is. I'm just wondering do you know any resources where I could obtain a hi end close up portrait of female models for practicing D & B? ( similar quality of which is on your website ) This would be for personal use at home only. Thanks
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-08-2008, 02:44 PM

concerning skin, one way to do db is to make an empty layer...put in soft light...paint with small brush opacity 6 % white on dark parts and black on white...this creates the absolute most high end skin result...however very time consuming and takes some practice to learn...when I do beauty I do this in 300 % on a 30 megapixel pic so you can fix every detail....by the way, i am a pro fashion photographer and this is my first post in here :-) www.martingleit.dk
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-08-2008, 02:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gleit View Post
concerning skin, one way to do db is to make an empty layer...put in soft light...paint with small brush opacity 6 % white on dark parts and black on white...this creates the absolute most high end skin result...however very time consuming and takes some practice to learn...when I do beauty I do this in 300 % on a 30 megapixel pic so you can fix every detail....by the way, i am a pro fashion photographer and this is my first post in here :-) www.martingleit.dk
very nice work
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-13-2008, 03:53 PM

Clone stamppin' then dodge and burnin'!
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-27-2008, 01:24 AM

How does one extract curves/luminosity info for use elsewhere, as Chris has on his d/b layer or as is suggested in the linked-to "Problems with curves?" post?

Quote:
Some of the large ares (not large strokes) are done with a curve move via normal
Quote:
I then extracted the luminosity component of the original as a layer in its own right
- jim
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-27-2008, 08:28 AM

I think he is either reproducing the original light with a DB layer (painting it all) or maybe using levels and color range tool to select just the highlights and make a new mask!

I am guessing here!!!

do you have link for these post you mentioned?
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching