RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Retouching "Improving" photos, post-production, correction, etc.

Please help me choose a monitor

Old 09-23-2008, 12:28 PM

Re: Please help me choose a monitor

I love my 30" Apple. Think drive in movie theater.
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-23-2008, 12:36 PM

One important thing to check is the warranty!

Apple is only one year i think? i think i have 4 or 5 year's on my NEC.

I heard some horror story's from apple after a year and a half!!!

The probleme with apple is you dont' know from wich comapany comes de lCD and you don't know de grade of it .

Someone was telling me that the LaCie Have the NEC LDC panel. you just pay more for the name!
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-23-2008, 01:39 PM

Thank you everyone for responding and helping me choose. I am researching and getting specs on all the different brands and models that you are recommending. One thing I am confused by is response time. What is that? I notice that the response time for Apple's 23" cinema monitor is 16 ms. Some others have a faster response time. Basically I want to use this monitor for high-end professional retouching of fashion models. Also do the monitors that are higher priced like LaCie and Nec display more colors than the Apple monitors? Thanks a lot for all your input and responses. I am somewhat technologically challenged.
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-23-2008, 01:50 PM

the NEC 2690 is as a wider gammut display, NOt the NEC 2490 and none of the apple's LCD. I think the reponse time is more important if you want to use it for gamming! XBOX PS3... I strongly recommend The NEC. I did a lot of search before bying it...I have mine since almost 2 year's and it's beautifull...and i have a good warranty!
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-23-2008, 02:03 PM

Benny

On many of my trips to help people out with color management, I have found that of those who own the good eizo monitors, most of them had them hooked up wrong.
For instance the usb cable was not there from the back of the monitor to the computer, etc.
Or they were setting wrong black, whitepoints, etc.

Not that you or your company did, just some observations.

I have been using a eizo cg21 at home for 3 years and the color etc has not changed at all. Love it.

But it is too bad that they are not cheaper.

Chris
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-23-2008, 04:38 PM

Hey Zogart, does Nec make drivers that you can use on a power PC G5 mac platform. They are vague about how all the drivers which appear as for window systems are installed for mac.

I am comparing the LCD 2690WUXi-BK and the LCD 2690WUXiSV. The main difference is that the later has better more professional color calibration?
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-23-2008, 04:44 PM

Hey, I am confused about how the Nec drivers are used in a mac as they all seem designed for windows.

Also I am comparing the Nec LCD 2690@UXi-bK to the LCK2690WUXiSV. The main difference is that the later has better more professional color calibration equipment?

Thanks.
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-23-2008, 04:58 PM

You don't need to worry about drivers for the mac as far as I know.

Chris
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-23-2008, 05:10 PM

I have a Power mac G5 and it work's fine.

The difference between the 2 is that the SV is a package that comes with the Eye-one Puck for calibrating your monitor. and i think you get the spectraview software that utilise the 10 or 12 bits of the monitor...I already had a eye-one puck so i went for the first package. I was able to calibrate it with the eye one software. i bought the Spectraview software seperatly a few month's later...Do a google search for the spectraview software i'm sure you will find some review and lot's of info.
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-23-2008, 05:48 PM

Eizo's are to customer usability what George Bush is to golf, they need to learn a few lessons from Apple in that respect.

I agree with Benny I've used them at work too, and saw better results with cheaper monitors. Main problem I have is the gamut and tonal range seems to be too narrow and limited. Powerful reds and oranges were useless, really useless. One thing they do have is that colour subtlety is quite high, but the disadvantages outweigh that in my opinion. Maybe I didn't know how to hook them up, to be honest the instructions and help files were like looking for a needle in haystack, like they were trying to self consciously pitch themselves at "professionals" - aggravating when you've got a job to do
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching