RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Retouching "Improving" photos, post-production, correction, etc.

Please help me choose a monitor

Old 09-28-2008, 02:31 AM

Re: Please help me choose a monitor

Thank you pixelzombie!
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-28-2008, 12:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caravaggio View Post
Apple told me that I wold need a ATI radeon hd 2600 xt to run this monitor and that they cost $800. Perhaps it is time to return the NEC monitor and just get a whole new computer as these cards come installed in the macpro? The cost of this monitor and all the additional time and expenses involved in trying to get it to run off of my Power PC G5 are becoming tiresome.
$800 for a that is just outrageous...it's not even a good card. The rep was trying to rip you off or something since you're not informed in this area.

http://store.apple.com/us/product/MB...4MzA0#overview

The problem you're having is not the monitor. Your video card just can't drive 30" displays. You don't need to buy a brand new MacPro to run it...just upgrade your video card.
I have a feeling you'll still be running in problem with this card. Most of the recent video cards are using PCI-Express interface instead of the older AGP and PCI interfaces. Make sure your motherboard has a PCI-Express x16 slot for the card...or find one that's still using AGP.

I believe all of these resellers are selling PC parts only.
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-30-2008, 09:58 AM

At a certain point I just got tired and couldn't deal with the monitor any more. NEC has the rudest, most unhelpful tech support people I have ever encountered who seem to be reading the installation manual alongside you when you call and they could certainly take some lessons from Apple. They also don't seem to have too much familiarity with mac os system. The NEC monitor seemed to have other problems besides the resolution issue and I didn't like the way I would have to press buttons on the bottom of the monitor to bring up menus. It was also a little awkwardly designed with a huge stand that took over my desk-top. I took it back to the store.

Anyway the monitor is gone now. I decided to maybe buy a whole new mac pro and get a cinema display. My G5 is now over 4 years old and is starting to also have problems and I don't want to tote this thing around to get it fixed. It may be a while before I have the money to buy a new computer, but want to hear from other users what they think of the system I designed and whether I should make any changes.

I am going to start a new thread in the Tools section under Hardware as that is probably a more appropriate place to discuss replacing a computer and monitor. I would love to hear from all of you for your suggestions on designing a new mac. Thanks. Caravvagio
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-30-2008, 10:02 AM

At a certain point I just got tired and couldn't deal with the monitor any more. NEC has the rudest, most unhelpful tech support people I have ever encountered who seem to be reading the installation manual alongside you when you call and they could certainly take some lessons from Apple. They also don't seem to have too much familiarity with mac os system. The NEC monitor seemed to have other problems besides the resolution issue and I didn't like the way I would have to press buttons on the bottom of the monitor to bring up menus. It was also a little awkwardly designed with a huge stand that took over my desk-top. I took it back to the store.

Anyway the monitor is gone now and I took it back to the store. I decided to maybe buy a whole new mac pro and get a cinema display. My powerpc G5 is now over 4 years old and is starting to also have problems and I don't want to tote this thing around to get it fixed. It may be a while before I have the money to buy a new computer, but want to hear from other users what they think of the system I designed and whether I should make any changes.

I am going to start a new thread in the Tools section under Hardware as that is probably a more appropriate place to discuss replacing a computer and monitor. I would love to hear from all of you for your suggestions on designing a new mac. Thanks. Caravvagio
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching