RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Retouching "Improving" photos, post-production, correction, etc.

Calculations???

Old 10-01-2008, 09:47 AM

Re: Calculations???

Thanks Chris - all interesting stuff as usual. Yes I've seen the Kai stuff online, been through it all a few times, each time understanding more and more - maybe its time for another bash. Thanks for the offer of the book too! I really don't want to inconvenience you though - pity that books not available on Bit Torrent. Interested to hear what kind of things are you using Calculations for then apart from the masking?

The noise thing for me is just a question of first of all identifying where the noise IS - this can be in the color or Luminosity information, a quick switch to LAB can help here. Smooting Luminosity noise (the most visually distruptive) is just a question of multiplying a new channel sometimes from red and green - not always, but very often leaving blue out because this is usually the most nasty. Then using it in Luminosity blend over the file in RGB with a curve. Color noise is more difficult, and I have experimented with this by isolating using Calculations or Levels where damaged pixels are and finding a curve to bring them into line.

"They're not a consumer/prosumer tool and are rarely if ever tweaked". Yes, well you hit the nail on the head there about the current decision making at Adobe when it comes to new feature development; First of all they underestimate the user base, and increasingly, we see old stuff revamped and passed as "new" - functional improvements are few and far between.

Color range sounds good, its going to be a while before I move towards CS4, its still using LAB to calculate selected areas I assume? I saw that its possible with click and drag to do a kind of quick select with continous areas and that looks interesting, but in what way are the masks better?
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-01-2008, 11:26 AM

Very interesting Markzebra...I grasp the idea anyway if not the nuts and bolts. Do you use this procedure on most of your projects...or just when standard procedures will not return satisfactory results.

Do you find a dramatic increase in quality over standard noise reduction plug-ins at least in luminosity noise?

If you get a chance maybe you can write a tutorial on this procedure..love to learn more and give it a try.

Butch
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-01-2008, 01:08 PM

The CR masks that happen now are more along the lines of a true grayscale image instead of the chunky broken up bits of Black and white. Much smoother and capable of showing more of the subtleties going on in the image.

CHris
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-01-2008, 03:07 PM

Daviskw - Ive never really used the third part noise reducers, think I tried Noise Ninja once but thought, no thanks - as for Photoshop's reduce noise plug in, its got its uses but they are limited. And no its only used as a rescue, and the new backs are much better, this is old stuff going back to the beginnings of digital really, but its still useful when you have rubbish source material to work from, or low light. And Chris I'm not so sure the improvement in Color Range quality-wise didn't come a few versions ago, one workaround was to convert a duplicate to 16 bit and run it on there.
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-01-2008, 09:48 PM

I think you'll be pleasantly surprised at what it is capable of doing Mark.

Chris
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-16-2008, 11:52 AM

Been trialing CS4, and Chris is right, one big improvement worth paying the upgrade for - Color Range. Seems to perform completely differently with "localised" checked. Its almost as if its using a different method completely with this option. Other than that its nice in CS4 to be able to rotate the view, and navigation is quicker now they are using the graphics card.

They kind of messed up with Adjustments panel if you ask me. Curves in particular is a more of a pain now they screwed with the shortcuts. Luckily its still possible to still get the old modal dialog up if you know how.
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-16-2008, 12:46 PM

And how exactly do we do that?
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-16-2008, 02:45 PM

i'd also like to know how to get the old dialog to work in cs4 as they really did a number with the curves/eye dropper shortcuts...
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-16-2008, 03:31 PM

You'll be glad to discover that the old shortcuts including command key to place points and 'reset' are still available using this technique. They have shifted the channel numbers two places to the right though.

There's two ways to achieve the old dialog…

You can now design your own photoshop panels using a new 'Configurator' application.. John Knack posted a Configurator panel that will either open an existing curve or create a new curve. http://blogs.adobe.com/jnack/2008/11...r_is_live.html. The new curve option does bring up the annoying initial blending Options dialog though, although there's probably a way to tailor this so that it doesn't happen.

Another, in my opinion better way, is to use CS3 to create an action step. In CS3 record an action step "Set current adjustment layer to Curves" - This is recordable in actions by double clicking, and opening an existing arbitary curves adjustment layer, and resetting the values to zero. You then have to save this action down and read it into CS4. Triggering this action will now edit or create (depending on how you've set it up) a Curves adjustment, this triggering can also now be done with Mr Knacks new Configurator, although F keys is probably the pro way to go on it.
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-16-2008, 04:30 PM

Thanks Mark, still getting used to and making errors with the new channel keys, and the new adjustment palette thing just pisses me off, somethings are best left as they are.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching