RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Retouching "Improving" photos, post-production, correction, etc.

Should i buy a wacom tablet

Old 11-27-2008, 09:39 AM

Re: Should i buy a wacom tablet

Quote:
Originally Posted by David John View Post
I purchased an Intuos3 6x8 about six months ago...its still in the box!! I have my current workflow down to a science, I'm afraid the learning curve switching to a tablet will slow me down and I'll fall behind on the projects I have.

One day I hope to at least open the package. LOL
youre the type of guy who would probably buy a Ferrari and leave it in your garage because your afraid of how it may affect your driving style because you're so used to driving your Volvo
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-27-2008, 06:58 PM

Hi everybody:

I have been working with wacom for a long time, and I can´t understand retouch without it. And today I am very happy, because I have just received my new wacom intuos3 A5 wide special edition, black, black, black. Is wonderfull.

Just a couple days of practice with the expresskeys.
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-28-2008, 10:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by garibaldi View Post
youre the type of guy who would probably buy a Ferrari and leave it in your garage because your afraid of how it may affect your driving style because you're so used to driving your Volvo
Well, lets put it this way...

If choosing to drive the Ferrari made me late to a photo shoot because I didn't know how, nor had never attempted, to drive a standard transmission and I subsequently lost a client because of it...then you're absolutely right, I'd leave it in the garage!!

I'm a Firefighter/Paramedic by trade, and I do photography in my spare time. I did it mostly as a hobby, but last year while shooting a local high school football game one of the parents asked me to do a family portrait. They loved the photos and referred me for a friend's wedding. My name got passed around and business increased at an exponential rate!! I have enough jobs to do photography full-time, but I absolutely LOVE my "day job" and have no intention of quiting. So until things slow down (and I'm sure eventually they will) I just dont have the time to re-learn my workflow process.
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-30-2008, 02:52 PM

Intuis III 6 X 8 here. Love it. Ive got my buttons set up to my liking and it works great.
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-30-2008, 03:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by David John View Post
Well, lets put it this way...

If choosing to drive the Ferrari made me late to a photo shoot because I didn't know how, nor had never attempted, to drive a standard transmission and I subsequently lost a client because of it...then you're absolutely right, I'd leave it in the garage!!

I'm a Firefighter/Paramedic by trade, and I do photography in my spare time. I did it mostly as a hobby, but last year while shooting a local high school football game one of the parents asked me to do a family portrait. They loved the photos and referred me for a friend's wedding. My name got passed around and business increased at an exponential rate!! I have enough jobs to do photography full-time, but I absolutely LOVE my "day job" and have no intention of quiting. So until things slow down (and I'm sure eventually they will) I just dont have the time to re-learn my workflow process.

Then put it this way, it would sort of be like you going to fight a fire where youd always show up and yank a garden hose out of your trunk and screw it onto the homes spigot and start spraying away, and then some day someone tells you about this thing that out called a 3inch fire hose and master spray fanning nozzle that can dump 250 GPM on your fires, and all you reply is, "Well, Im sort of already in a rush when I arrive at the scene to get my Home Depot kink free garden hose hooked up and start dousing away, so anything different than that that I would have to learn would disrupt my workflow and slow me down"

Its sort of a good analogy, the tablet really is THAT good of a tool, and trust me, it wont slow you down AT ALL. Tell you what, if it does, Ill buy it from you!
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-04-2008, 09:18 AM

David, I would say, hook it up and set it up, but leave your old mouse connected. They will both play together just fine. Try the new when you feel like it, and the old when your prefer. I'd be willing to bet, it won't take long for you to warm up to the Wacom.
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-03-2009, 01:15 AM

I need to switch my tablet to my other computer. It's on the one I do less retouching on and I've never really used it to capacity. I really never used the buttons, and the pressure sensitivity seemed a little odd - really skinny brushes instead of normal size. Maybe I need to press harder?

I think it's hard to find space for a keyboard and tablet.
Where do you place your tablet in reference to your keyboard?
And is the air brush pen different than the one that came in the box?

I have the 6x8 Intuos 3 -- sadly under used. You have inspired me to switch it to my other computer learn to use it. I bought it because I have severe hand and wrist problems and I'm an idiot for not using it!
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-03-2009, 11:03 AM

I have intuos3 9x12 bought on March 2009 followed with intuos4 small model on April 2009, i don't use both of them, i know they are fun and nice and making it easier for most of your graphics and drawing and photos workflow but still i don't get used to it, i need to work with hard things to use this tablet, but i edit my photos with minimal processing that i can do with mouses in fe seconds or minutes, always avoiding the complicated things even with Tablet i will never do it properly, but it seems i have to decide seriously to use it again and have an intensive practice with it.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching