RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Retouching "Improving" photos, post-production, correction, etc.

What tools NOT to use?

Old 10-10-2008, 01:36 PM

What tools NOT to use?

Hi All,

I know there are many thread about which tools to use, depending on which task you have to do.
But I'm wondering if there are tools which are never touched?
For me: brightness/contrast is something I never work with.
But also the dodge/burn tools I rarely use.

What are your unfavourite tools?

Ace
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-10-2008, 02:11 PM

Re: What tools NOT to use?

Since there are many ways to do the same thing in Photoshop, the answer will be very personal. For example have a look at Richard Lynch's blog, 'The photoshop options you should never use'... (July 21st).
http://www.hiddenelements.com/blog/
You stated brightness/contrast. Those tools have been enhanced in the latest versions of CS and Elements, and I no longer hesitate to use them to tweak a mask for example. You can prefer curves, blend modes if you are more comfortable with them.
For the dodge and burn tool, I can use them for a quick and dirty edit, but as a true amateur, I prefer using 'paint with light' with a softlight neutral gray layer for example. You asked for personal preferences and I am not sure this can be very helpful for you. Asking for the most used tools would not be very significant either. I have found a lot of discussions on this forum about different ways to do something, and the answers are really different depending on your profile; even professionals have different views depending on their needs, profiles and background.
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-10-2008, 03:11 PM

I'm hoping they will introduce a lot more of these "just for idiots" tools… Sponge, Sharpen, Art history, Brightness contrast - which they could put into a "just for idiots" workspace or flash panel someday.
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-10-2008, 03:35 PM
Patron

Same comments as Michael and Mark. FYI, in CS4, just released, the Dodge & Burn tools have been appropriately fixed up. The old Dodge & Burn should have been called Bleach and Incinerate.
Regards, Murray
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-10-2008, 10:18 PM

There are three blending mode I have found no use for. They are Pin Light, Dissolve and Exclusion.

Anyone have any tutorials that might shed some light on their use?
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-11-2008, 10:13 AM

@Michel B: I know that this is a personal preference, but that's where a discussion forum is about: to have multiple views on the same subject. So I hope that some people might shed some light on tools that are rarely used but maybe still usefull.

@duwayne: I used the dissolve mode once to blend in some text more "smoothly" in a rocky background, but I'm sure that there are other ways to accomplish the same result or even better.

Ace
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-11-2008, 12:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Markzebra View Post
I'm hoping they will introduce a lot more of these "just for idiots" tools… Sponge, Sharpen, Art history, Brightness contrast - which they could put into a "just for idiots" workspace or flash panel someday.
Thanks now i know what i am ! ! ! !

(well in your opinion )

Palms

Last edited by palms; 10-12-2008 at 04:22 AM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-11-2008, 07:19 PM

Somehow, I've managed to use all the tools at one time or another over many years. I've even found ways to use them that were probably never intended.
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-12-2008, 05:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aceto81 View Post
@Michel B: I know that this is a personal preference, but that's where a discussion forum is about: to have multiple views on the same subject. So I hope that some people might shed some light on tools that are rarely used but maybe still usefull.

Ace
I understand that better. Maybe start a new thread with this new title: 'tools that are rarely used but maybe still usefull'... I am sure many idiots and non idiots would have something to say about this. I'd would like to stress that many tools may be very useful, not because they are good for editing, but because they are nice to understand what is going on when editing, and help you to train your eyes to be receptive to tone, colour, saturation, contrast, texture, frequency and many more.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching