RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Retouching "Improving" photos, post-production, correction, etc.

How to remove lip hair from beauty shot?

Old 10-20-2008, 09:58 AM

Re: How to remove lip hair from beauty shot?

davidpz888

Step 3. Dodge and burn. Referring to the tools here, not the layer. Use the dodge tool set to highlights and about 30% to lighten the light areas without effecting the dark areas very much. The burn tool set to shadows about 30% to increase the blacks without effecting the highlights. This will increase the contrast. Don't overdo it. This is on the final mask after levels. Use a fairly large soft brush, this is not detail work but more global. This step is often optional.

I use a similar technique for burned out shine spots on the skin. I might go up one luminous mask level for the lights, you have to create them and look at them to determine the best. The mask should show only the hot areas of the skin in a light gray and the burned out specular highlights as white. Use the stamp tool through the mask to build up density or use a fill of a light skin color on a blank layer with the mask.

This adds density to those areas so that burning will have an effect. Burning has no or very little effect on very bright areas. This brings it within range. Only the white brush is used, black with inverted mask is not used. You will run into saturation and color issues which must be handled separately by other means.

Stamping or filling through the mask still requires some burning (mask or not). Don't try to achieve the final result with this, keep it under the desired final result and finish with burning.

Larry
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-22-2008, 11:16 PM

Another example of using a mask with the D/B layer. Two different masks were used because a good density/contrast in one area was not good in another.

Masks used for the shine in the eye socket, highlight on the nose, and eyebrow hair at top of nose.

Larry
Attached Images
File Type: jpg SNAG-011.jpg (31.2 KB, 140 views)
File Type: jpg SNAG-010.jpg (29.3 KB, 144 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-23-2008, 05:13 AM

Larry, thanks for all the great advice!

But just to clarify step 3; the contrast of the layer mask (not the 50% grey layer itself) should be increased so to make it more efficient? And one should use the white brush on the layer mask to make sure all the hotspots are true white?

And great result with the last example. I assume you didnt need to pixel burn and used a large brush instead for those shine areas because you pretty much already pixel burned and fine tuned your layer mask? Please let my know if my assumption is correct or not.

Thanks,
David
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-23-2008, 08:33 AM

davidpz888

Yes, just the contrast of the layer mask is increased. It is an by eye sort of thing. Just enough to increase the contrast but not loose the gradation. The contrast should be adjusted with the mask attached to the D/B layer. Do not alter the original mask as you may need it for other areas which may require a different contrast adjustment.

No, do not use global brushing. Each highlight area is brushed individually with a very small brush. It is still tedious but you don't have to be as precise or worry as much about dark halos around the light areas and you can use a higher opacity brush so that it goes faster. Not all light areas are of the same density so that they require different amounts of burning to even out. If some of the highlight areas are pure white, they will not burn down. If you need to take them down, use a blank layer with the mask attached and use the stamp tool on those areas to give some density. Finish off these areas with the D/
B layer/mask above the stamped layer. The burning will now have an effect.

Note that it works as well with dodging as shown by the removal of the dark eyebrow hairs at the top of the nose. The mask is is inverted for this.

For quick work that is not so demanding you could globally brush. The results are ok but not as good as per pixel.

Larry

Last edited by leuallen; 10-23-2008 at 01:02 PM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-24-2008, 10:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by leuallen View Post
Another example of using a mask with the D/B layer. Two different masks were used because a good density/contrast in one area was not good in another.

Masks used for the shine in the eye socket, highlight on the nose, and eyebrow hair at top of nose.

Larry

WOW.

I could have used that technique on a fashion gig two weeks ago
Cheers.
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-25-2008, 06:57 PM

leuallen -> what You write is quite interesting. Is there any possibility, that You could do some screencapture stuff, and put Your's workflow on Youtube (even speedy one)? It could give some more details on how aproach a sample photo (im most interested in rebuilding teksture on burned out spots on skin).
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-25-2008, 08:50 PM

No video, don't have the equipment or skill for such. But I have made a PDF with screen shots that goes through the whole process. Will send you the PDF via email if you email me at leuallen at mchsi.com and request.

Note: Using luminosity masks is not the only type of mask that can be used. I use them often for skin because I have an action that makes a set of four brights and one of them is usually close to what I need. Other times I create the mask using calculations.

This technique is useful for anytime you have a fairly high contrast situation with small areas of bright against dark or vice versa.

Larry
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching