RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Retouching "Improving" photos, post-production, correction, etc.

An Old Photo in need of help

Old 10-22-2008, 08:43 PM

An Old Photo in need of help

Hello, I am having great difficulty in getting the grain and noise out of this photograph with conventional methods. I have worked through the level issues roughly (with more to do yet) but I would like to get the image itself improved before proceeding.
Can anyone offer any advice to "de-noise" and sharpen up this photo?
Being new to the Group, I am seeing a LOT of talent that is humbling me. But it sure is fun learning.
Thanks,
Chris
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Ice Cream Emporium 1900.jpg (83.5 KB, 68 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-22-2008, 09:07 PM

Re: An Old Photo in need of help

I happen to like some of the noise, as it makes it a bit more authentic. I would also use some caution in removing too much, as it simply does not contain enough detail to look good if you remove too much.

I tried two methods that are quick, just as a comparison. One using PS's built-in Reduce Noise and one with Noise Ninja. Both yield similar results.

I like Reduce Noise because (a) it's free, (b) it also allows sharpening, color noise reduction, and jpeg noise reduction all in one dialog, and (c) it works very well.

Anyway, Noise Ninja works fine on this image but shows no distinct advantage since there is no color. To get Reduce Noise to work equally, it took two passes.... one at close to max and one a bit less. Either level may suite you, so you may not need two passes.

Try these settings:
- Strength, 10;
- Preserve Details, 20%;
- Reduce Color Noise, 0%;
- Sharpen Details, 5%;
- Jpeg artifacts, No check.

If it's not enough for you, duplicate that layer and try one more pass with Strength at about 4-5. Just click and hold inside the box to see the effect before clicking Ok. Again, always work on a duplicate layer, as there is no going backward. You can adjust opacity afterward though.
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-22-2008, 09:56 PM
Patron

Hi Chris and welcome to RP. For all of my noise filtering I use Noiseware by Imagenomic. I have used all of the popular ones but found Noiseware to produce the best and most consistent results.
The st iamge attached has been filtered by NW only. The 2nd image went through NW and then I sharpened it using PS Smart Sharpen filter.
There are a ton of fine tuning controls in Noiseware but I just used one of my standard default settings.
Regards, Murray
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Ice%20Cream%20Emporium%201900 MM NF Only.jpg (159.2 KB, 35 views)
File Type: jpg Ice%20Cream%20Emporium%201900 MM NF+SS.jpg (164.5 KB, 51 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-22-2008, 10:10 PM
Patron

Chris, welcome to RetouchPRO! Nice to have you aboard and hope you enjoy your visits here.

Could you post a higher resolution of the original before any work done on it?

Attaching Files or Images to Threads or Posts

Size and quality for Attached Images!!

After you post your less than 100K version here, you could also post a larger version at ImageVenue.com (3Meg max, free) or pixentral.com (2Meg max, free) or photobucket.com (1 Meg max free,... 5 Meg PRO)-- then post a link here in this thread to the site that is hosting your larger version.
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-23-2008, 07:15 AM

Hi there, this is the "roughest" version with the least done to it. (Despite knowing better, the original scan got overwritten in this instance.)
I am amazed at the fast and helpful responses!
Thanks,
Chris
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Ice Cream Emporium_upload.jpg (96.9 KB, 30 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-23-2008, 11:33 AM
Patron

Chris, you may have been able to capture a bit more detail if the scan were made in color with all automatic stuff turned off..

It looks like you have done well.. the rest may test your artistic abilities..
Just curious.. why did you round off the glass front on the right side of the pic but left the corner hanging in the air

I also used Noiseware and this is my result (not much difference from Murray's)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Ice_Cream_Emporium_Noisewar.jpg (197.0 KB, 23 views)
File Type: jpg crop.jpg (67.9 KB, 26 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-23-2008, 06:52 PM

The hanging corner is part of this "rougher" version that has not yet totally been gone through. Nice catch! In regards to scanning a greyscale photo in color, this is rather new concept to me that I would like more info on. Is there a good tutorial you could point me to?
As far as scanning in "auto" this I never do. I will tweak contrast and levels, some unsharp mask and some dust removal - if particularly bad - but I do most of the editing in the photo software. I use PhotoImpact 12 which I do not believe has RGB color channel splitting abilities, in relation to scanning in color?
Thanks!
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-23-2008, 08:55 PM
Patron

Quote:
Originally Posted by LensCap View Post
In regards to scanning a greyscale photo in color, this is rather new concept to me that I would like more info on. Is there a good tutorial you could point me to?
As far as scanning in "auto" this I never do. I will tweak contrast and levels, some unsharp mask and some dust removal - if particularly bad - but I do most of the editing in the photo software. I use PhotoImpact 12 which I do not believe has RGB color channel splitting abilities, in relation to scanning in color?
Thanks!
I don't know off hand of a Tutorial.. But.. If repairing stains and discoloration (Like really old photos that have become discolored over time), it's often easier to work on it in color mode. Scan in RGB mode (resolution and bit depth needed will depend on your output, but 16 bit/300 dpi to 1200 dpi should be the max you need and will usually cover most people's needs.

The following is sort of quoted from a post by 'mistermonday'.. (Hope you don't mind Murray):

"I recommend turning OFF every auto or manual adjustment in the scanner. Scan with no adjustments, no curves, no sharpening, no anything, using the 300 to 1200 bit resolution or the max for the scanner if you want. Import the image into Photoshop or whatever Photo manipulation tool you have and make all the adjustments there. That usually means curves, levels, saturation, perhaps a little USM (Sharpening), and of course straightening and cropping . You could profile a curve for your particular scanner and quickly apply it to everything you scan which may save you a lot of time."
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching