Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Retouching "Improving" photos, post-production, correction, etc.

Better tan?

Old 10-26-2008, 03:15 PM
Re: Better tan?

I only made one very slight change, being the tonal values of the skin. There was no point in my trying to redo the other aspects (texture, etc). Once you know the correct skin tone values to use, you can do the rest. If you want to duplicate Philippe's look, you must change more than the tonality. His skin is smoother, more even, with less contrast within the d&b. However, the tonal values are similar to what I provided you... less cyan & magenta.

Best of luck ! and your work is very good.
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-26-2008, 03:30 PM

oh no.... not duplicate. But to learn its not bad to try to duplicate but I want my own style of course.
For me this is all fun and hobby. And i want to improve. But sometimes you just keep hanging at a certain level before you get a brakethrouhg. Sometimes it takes long and thats frustrating hahaha.

I dont use blur at all for example. I did, but not anymore. I think philipe does? dunno. Looks very smooth to me though.

thanks again for the kind words!
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-08-2008, 11:58 PM

Originally Posted by blaskica View Post
Hi! I played with the AFTER sample. I used lots of adjustment layers.
wow ur good
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-10-2008, 04:13 AM

Another way to do this, is to make a gradient map with nice deep rich colors (obviously in compliance with the skin tone in the image), place it on the image, set the blending mode to SOFTLIGHT, opacity to about 30-40%.

If you then want darker, just duplicate the grad, put it on multiply and place it underneath the softlight layer.

Obivously you'll need to mask the skin out for this.
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-14-2008, 07:57 AM

To copy and duplicate skin tone colors from one picture to another I do the following:

I copy and paste the picture of the skin tones I want to dulicate on a separate layer in the new image. I reduce its size so I can see both it and the new skin tone image im working on.

I use the "color sampler tool" to get the exact "numbers" for the skin tones I want to re-create in my new image. I write down these numbers (RGB). You may want to pull up the "info pallete" to see these numbers... and use a sampling size that makes a good average sample.

Then I put a curves adjustment layer over the image im working on and place another sampler in the specific area of skin where I want to add that previous (tan) skin tone. I adjust the red, green and blue channels of the curves so the numbers sampled on the new image equal the numbers I got on the tan skin I liked (same RGB numbers). This will make the whole image change colors toward tannish...thats OK.

This gives me an "exact correction color"...making the skin I have in my new image match the color tones of the previous tan sample. I then do a control or command 'I" (invert) on the layer mask (make it a black mask)...and then I can paint that correction color onto the new face. Use a very soft, white, 20% opacity brush to do this.

Since this is a layers adjustment is totally non destructive...and it will not destroy or damage any pixels underneath that have to do with delicate texture.

I may have to do this several times to get the realistic look I want...because if the skin color in the new picture changes dramatically from area to area...then obviously my correction color will be different over the new base skin another sampler on that new skin tone...and make up another correction color for that area of skin too. Make sense?

This takes some time...but if the image is can get nicely duplicated skin tones from this. Remember that there are about 5 different kinds of skin tone values on most faces...and if you want great results... you will have to make up new correction curves for each kind of base skin color in the new face ( The 5 different skin tones are: Near white highlight skin tones, Bright... but not highlight skin tones, Average flesh tone, The blush or cheek color tone and, The various shadow tones). Maybe 1 or two skin color corrections might be fine for your specific project...but if youre picky...picky...maybe you might need more samples to get the region matches you want.

Last edited by ray12; 11-14-2008 at 10:27 AM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-15-2008, 01:05 AM

You can apply a tan quite effectively using just a multiply layer filled with the required skintone, and a gradient mask. I made no changes to lighting or contrast to try to match Philippe Salomon's images.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 006_a3a3180ps800voor-02.jpg (95.2 KB, 47 views)
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching