Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Retouching "Improving" photos, post-production, correction, etc.

Lots of questions for 1 image.

Old 11-05-2008, 08:21 PM
Re: Lots of questions for 1 image.

I have to agree with mfischer. Starting from scratch is your best option and if you have access to a layout program, like InDesign (or Quark, if you must) use that. As far as font matching... you can 1) take a whole lot of time trying to search through fonts looking for the right one, 2) ask the client if they can find out what font was used 3) ask them if they are particularly attached to keeping the exact fonts. 2 & 3 kinda go hand in hand. If they insist on the fonts, they should know the name of the typeface. Most likely you can just find a similar font and they won't even notice. A client who gives you a flattened psd file for a job like this probably wouldn't notice a font change at all.
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-06-2008, 05:38 AM

To find the font, try uploading an image of the font to

It works reasonably well. They will also sell you the font afterwards! A great site BTW.

Good luck!

Reply With Quote top
Old 11-06-2008, 07:34 AM

That main text font looks like simple Arial, the other mish mash of old style fonts… One looks like Bodoni and what could be Times Headline or something. That is honestly one of the worst designs. Just a thought, I'd kill all the drop shadows - and work out a grid
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-06-2008, 07:58 AM

Why in the world would someone give you a flattened PSD file and expect you to make changes to it? Apparently someone has already done the work and probably has the original PSD and could easily make changes. Sounds like there is some kind of dispute between the original designer and your client and I would never interject myself into a situation like that. If your client has the original photo(s) ask them to provide them and you will rebuild it. Put it in dollars and cents. If you charge by the hour it will probably take you longer to correct the flattened file than to reconstruct it from the original photo.

I'm working a project right now with lots of ads. If clients want to provide their own PDF, I give them my specs (Press quality PDF, 300 PPI CMYK Tiff, EPS or Illustrator file at print size). The local hospital wants a full page (vertical) ad based on a newspaper ad done in a landscape perspective. I've asked them to go back to the newspaper and ask them to recreate the ad to my specs since they have all the original elements that they can resize and reposition to suit the aspect ratio. Or, if the newspaper is willing to send me their original PSD/InDesign/or Illustrator layered file, I'll do it for them.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching