Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Retouching "Improving" photos, post-production, correction, etc.

Find the flaws

Old 10-30-2008, 11:44 AM
Post Find the flaws

So; trying to get the "glamour" style; what flaws does it have:

PD: BTW i am looking for individual freelance jobs

Last edited by AltIvan; 10-30-2008 at 11:53 AM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-31-2008, 06:25 AM
Re: Find the flaws

The main flaw, to my eye, is that the distance -- in luminance values -- between how dark the hair is and how light the face is, is too far. You've got this huge leap in luminance values butted right up against one-another, with no real motivation for it (i.e. an overtly hard/fast light-source or stylistic choice that fits the image). Because of this, the retouching looks heavy-handed.

The original is a great shot -- where did you get it?
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-31-2008, 08:37 AM

First of all, a nice shot and I interpret it as being a candid of a bride on her wedding day?

This seems like the perfect time for me to expound a bit on the Photoshop world and how it has moved the younger generation (just a guess 'cause I have no idea how old you are), but moved those people to the point that they feel as if they HAVE to do something in Photoshop to the image no matter what.

In image #1) we have beautiful light, obviously shot in open shadow with a nice soft shot of light sneaking through and opening her face up a bit. You did a find job smoothing her skin out and giving that glam look I think you wanted but I often ask myself in images like these, "was it necessary?" or was it a stronger image as it stood. I guess it's all up to personal taste.

My only other critiques are that her lips are a bit lifeless and unkempt. I assume you are a guy (just a guess) but as a photographer who shoots a lot of fashion, weddings and similar work I feel it's important to familiarize ourselves with make-up and the tricks of application and the proper application. It's not easy and as I grew older in my career I began to realize WHY my wife was always late 'cause she was doing her make up. I think you could have cleaned up the edges of the lips a bit and maybe tweaked the color some to add some zing. When I was getting my masters degree I actually enrolled in a local cosmetology school and took a couple months of classes when it came to make-up application. It was a great help, at least in helping me realize when the make up was just not right so I could call for my make up artist to come and touch up. I always payed special attention to the eyebrows. To this day I just wanna scream when I see a girl who pulls out all of her brows then draws them in with a pencil. Also, on OUR left there is an errant hair dangling from one of her curls that is somewhat distracting.
Other than that it is a nice shot but I would have stayed closer to the untouched version with the nice, soft, natural light. I hope this helps and please feel free to email me at any time if needed.

Reply With Quote top
Old 10-31-2008, 10:55 AM

I will keep it simple.. I like the first shot better!
The second shot looks bleached out, the only thing worked on was the middle of the face.. everything else was disregarded

Last edited by 0lBaldy; 10-31-2008 at 11:00 AM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-31-2008, 02:44 PM

Yep before looks better than after. concentrate on cleaning as a first step, with dodge and burn and maybe some stamping - and only then make subtle color adjustments. Your after image is far too bleached, flat oversharpened and damaged
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-31-2008, 06:05 PM

And those stray hairs are killing me.
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-31-2008, 07:22 PM

I would agree with everyone. I like the fact you left the jeweled reflections in the eyes.
Also, note:
- her left eye a bit too white;
- bring back a bit of texture high on the cheeks and on the nose;
- reshape end of her nose;
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-05-2008, 03:57 PM

I think the main problem is that in working on skin tone etc. you lost the shadows that define the face. When you lighten too much (for example the edge of the nose and nostrils) you make the features look flat and the pic looks too washed out overall. Use a little d&b and bring some shadows back and I think you'd see great improvement. Also you lost a bit too much skin texture IMO.
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-11-2008, 05:05 PM

It is a gorgeous shot.

The biggest flaw is definitely the lack of pores. Everything else, the eyes, hair, eyebrows is pretty sharpened, so why isn't the skin? I recommend the cloning tool and using high pass layers. The bridge of the nose also seems to disappear, thus making her entire face much flatter. Also, the eyebrows are not the same color as the hair (they are redder it seems). Try adding another layer of color (the hair color) over the eyebrows at a low opacity, but be sure to blend it so that the edges of the color don't contrast with the skin too much.
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-11-2008, 07:10 PM

The glass looks ok, almost. The rest is a flaw.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching