RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Retouching "Improving" photos, post-production, correction, etc.

Muddy desat look? Annie Leibowitz, Joey L.

Old 11-05-2008, 06:37 PM

Re: Muddy desat look? Annie Leibowitz, Joey L.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobZZZ View Post
This may be a stupid question but what makes you think that these are digital as opposed to film. Most of Leibowitz's work has been on film and these sort of colour effects are typical of film processes.
Of course some photographers use film, and also sometimes digital.

Here's a vid of one of her shoots: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OkbIAQrEf9c

Looks like digital to me, unless there is someway to tether a film camera to a laptop

Also compare the before (from the laptop tether preview [pamori on fredmiranda.com uploaded this]) & after pics:

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3239/...61ec192b_o.jpg

http://adweek.blogs.com/adfreak/imag...hards-full.jpg

looks like alot of cloning/erasing of furniture, perspective fixes, composite fixes and moving certain things around as well.
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-05-2008, 06:52 PM

sidhebeauty. thanks, but you totally lost me, haha. Nice to see your interesting tips that are a little new to me (which is good, since its nice to see something new for a change)

How do you desat in channel mixer? Channel mixer I use for dif things, but not desturating.

Also, there is no cyan adjusting in channel mixer (unless you convert to cmyk first?)

Quadtone? Ive never used that.

..as for your example pics, nice and pretty interesting effect. Maybe a little too sharp and contrasty though (lost alot of detail on shadow/dark areas).

Last edited by E Maguyon; 11-05-2008 at 10:46 PM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-05-2008, 08:19 PM

See that box at the bottom of your Channel mixer "monochrome"? well try it. If you really are still at the playing level, and you want to learn, also try a black&white adjustment layer now you can reduce its opacity, or perhaps set its mode to "Luminosity". Also perhaps a selective color layer underneath a hue/sat. There really are hundreds of colour techniques available, but its not these tricks themselves that will make you better.
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-05-2008, 09:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Markzebra View Post
See that box at the bottom of your Channel mixer "monochrome"? well try it. If you really are still at the playing level, and you want to learn, also try a black&white adjustment layer now you can reduce its opacity, or perhaps set its mode to "Luminosity". Also perhaps a selective color layer underneath a hue/sat. There really are hundreds of colour techniques available, but its not these tricks themselves that will make you better.
Yes, I've done alot of the monochrome channel mixer tricks in the past and dont really like the some things like the red fringing. So I rarely/never do them anymore.

B&W adjustment layer to multiply or other blending modes work good too, but its still missing something in the color department.

And I know these tricks wont make for a better photog. I just wanted to know new and interesting ways to achieve these tonal looks.

Anyone can easily post some thing like "its the complex multiple lighting setup, butterfly or rembrandt style lighting, with multiple kickers, grid spots here and there, fabulous set/prop builders, talented make up and hair artists, wardrobe stylists, etc., etc." which really doesnt help anyone.

Last edited by E Maguyon; 11-05-2008 at 10:47 PM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-05-2008, 09:30 PM

Just to clarify, I didn't mean to say desat in channel mixer. I just mean to reduce the red values. And I meant blue not cyan. Just doing too much at once. Am at my "day job" at a newspaper and probably shouldn't be on retouchpro instead of working but... I eat, sleep and breathe this stuff so I end up sneaking on and posting as much as i can. lol
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-05-2008, 09:34 PM

thx for sharing..

i tried a channel mixer layer and balanced the red channel dropping it down, then upped both blue and green to balance the overall 100% mix.. Nice desat method!

i then did a monochrome channel mixer layer with upped the blue, then subtracted from red and green to also equal the same default percentage amounts...another nice trick

As for the quadtoning, cool stuff. Ive never played with quadtone layers yet, but it looks like endless fun. Lots of colors and tones, seems like an advanced color filter if laid out on top with a softlight mode..I wonder what else the duo/quadtones are good for.

Last edited by E Maguyon; 11-05-2008 at 10:49 PM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-05-2008, 10:31 PM

here the sample I did very quickly with sidhebeauty's technique.

I chose random tones for the quadtones. Did a messy, quick 20 second d&b. I also added a dupe to multiply and desat with a dupe underneath on normal and also desated, and erased portions of the top/multiply layer for a little light painting.

Whole thing quickly done in 3-5 mins with techniques learned just now, so excuse the crap quality and not well thought out colors or tones.

Last edited by E Maguyon; 11-09-2008 at 11:02 PM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-05-2008, 10:40 PM

duo-, tri- and quadtones work wonders for a lot of things. For ex. you have a washed out pic and you want a down-n-dirty method for a warmer, more tan look with added depth do a duotone or tritone in shades of warm brown, set to softlight and drop opacity to taste. You can mask out areas that you don't want affected and voila! Or for a REALLY nice aged photo/sepia look create a black and brown duotone then use your normal sepia toning method on that ( photo filter, hue adjustment layer, whatever) Looks fab.
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-05-2008, 11:31 PM

my try..:
- hue/sat layer adjustment,
masters : 0,-80,0
red : 0, +50, -10
yellow : 0, +50, -10
- duplicate that hue/sat layer adjustment, change blending to SOFTLIGHT, adjust opacity as u like.
- color balance: shadow go for cyan & blue, midtone go for red & yellow
- increase local contrast with hipass+gaussian blur method.
- done!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg after.jpg (97.0 KB, 183 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-06-2008, 07:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by andyong View Post
my try..:
- hue/sat layer adjustment,
masters : 0,-80,0
red : 0, +50, -10
yellow : 0, +50, -10
- duplicate that hue/sat layer adjustment, change blending to SOFTLIGHT, adjust opacity as u like.
- color balance: shadow go for cyan & blue, midtone go for red & yellow
- increase local contrast with hipass+gaussian blur method.
- done!
Can you go into detail about your increase local contrast with hipass+gaussian blur method?????
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching