RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Retouching "Improving" photos, post-production, correction, etc.

Dodge&Burn Movie/Tutorial

Old 12-10-2008, 06:43 PM

Re: Dodge&Burn Movie/Tutorial

Leave this tutorial in its entire length with narration. Really enjoyed this.
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-12-2008, 12:28 PM

Please add my gratitude for this tutorial. I learned a lot and found it well worth the time.
Well done!
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-12-2008, 03:28 PM

Thumbs up Re: Dodge&Burn Movie/Tutorial

Hello! is my first post here, I saw the video of Hubba and I found interesting. A bit long but with good tips! Thank you Hubba!
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-15-2008, 12:06 PM

Your generosity is extremely appreciated. People are so stingy with their skills and abilities, that is where arrogance comes in. The world needs more people who share their talents like you do.
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-29-2008, 04:14 AM

Hubba I cant thank you enough. I have been searching for 8 months to see a video of this being done in realtime . What realtime does for me is lets me start to 2nd guess where you will work next and if you do what I think you will do next I know I am learning. And DnB on a pixel level has been a complete guessing game to me until your video. Thanks again!
I never have learned from any video that approaches doing this by doing one small spot then says something like " now do that all over for the rest" then cuts away and comes back to a completely done image .

MarkZebra you are an example of what I have found in the last 8 months. Nothing but a critque about how it wasn't done right and yet nothing showing how to do it exactly.
Look forward to your video .
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-29-2008, 05:15 AM

I really appreciated the video showing these is indeed no quick fix to perfection my hat comes off to you for your patience and talk through, I've learned a lot.
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-30-2008, 05:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biwa View Post
MarkZebra you are an example of what I have found in the last 8 months. Nothing but a critque about how it wasn't done right and yet nothing showing how to do it exactly.
Look forward to your video .
With all due respect to MarkZebra. I am an amateur retoucher. I have been a photographer for three years, er, I have owned my current Nikon D70s for three years. I have been retouching for about three months. A couple of weeks ago I sent MarkZebra a private email asking him for advice. MarkZebra answered my questions thoughtfully and conscientiously.

You might say "big deal, he answered a question". The big deal involved taking the time to examine the website www.popphoto.com. Under the "how to" tutorials, examine Digital Toolbox: How to Edit Portraits. This tutorial is a 14 step, skin smoothing process. Helpful to the beginner, but not a professional workflow process. An examination of this tutorial would reveal my current level of expertise. I can follow this workflow. Having professional feedback, can instill confidence, and keep you from making mistakes, and shorten the learning curve.

Second, there were two photos from the website www.photocamel.com, which displayed a level of professional capacity I would like to achieve. MarkZebra took the time out of his day to examine these photos. At this point, MarkZebra knew the level of my current skills, he knew where I wanted to be, and what I hoped to become, as a RetouchPro. He pointed out one photo was a commercial fashion photo, the other was a glamour/beauty photo. Professional retouch strategy will vary, depending on the use of the photograph.

Third, he took the time to answer in a private email. MarkZebra did this for me, and he does not know me from a can of paint.

I have a complaint with Adobe, many of their tutorials are designed to address higher level intermediate, advanced and professional users. They often ignore beginners and lower level intermediate users. I know Adobe could sell more copies of PS and Elements, if they included a workflow workbook and/or dvd tutorial.

Last edited by dwallace29; 12-30-2008 at 05:11 PM. Reason: Name correction
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-31-2008, 07:18 PM

Lets not all go after Mark. He was just being a little bit overzealous since there have been quite a few people posing off as professional fashion retouchers and who really do not have the skillset to do that. I'm not a retoucher, im a photographer so my skillset is accordingly not as perfect and me and Mark solved that already.

Mark gives good contributions here aswell so lets just have a happy 2009 now =)
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-31-2008, 08:14 PM

Thanks for the link.Thank you Hubba!
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-01-2009, 11:30 AM

Hubba,

Many thanks for such a "simple" explanation of D&B. As has been said, a lot of PS is easy - once you have the basic understanding and some techniques. Trouble is, "basic" means very different things to different people!

Yet another skill to practise in '09!

HNY.
dave
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching