RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Retouching "Improving" photos, post-production, correction, etc.

How to achieve this look

Old 11-15-2008, 07:22 AM

Re: How to achive this look

Cant find any direct links out there but what Im looking at is in the "current" set set on his site.
The headshot of Josh Brolin and the race car driver shot with the helmet. Also that kayak shot and the girl in a black coat on the beach. Slightly different for sure in color but that low contrast feel, how?

Thx /b
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-15-2008, 03:13 PM

I don't know if this helps any but have you heard of the LucisArt image enhancement software? If you look at the galleries you can see some of the effects used and how they look. I'm thinking that this might have been one of the steps used by this photographer.
Check out http://www.lucisart.com/lucis-art3-a...-3-gallery.htm and look at the gallery of Fuzzy Duenkel (second screen of galleries). She shows before and after shots.
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-15-2008, 04:19 PM

i do not think so
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-17-2008, 08:16 PM

Oh god...
Look, Lucis is absolutely NOT the answer to every processing question, unlike many seem to think. Man I get tired of people minimizing the effort that goes into a quality retouch by claiming its just slapping on some Lucis.
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-18-2008, 04:50 AM

Hey Guys,

Sadly uploading the layer stacks is also not allowed due to layer names and little tiny previews (even if they're blurred).

However when in relations to the highlights on the images (lucisart has been mentioned already) they're actually in the photos. The lighting is mostly just in the photos (He's very good). Most retouching is obviously pasting together the correct athlete's from different sources (bit of hair here and there) and colour correcting every little thing in the image and balancing it out. The skin is a little balanced here and there, and in the shots we're doing we've added one highlight in the background, but as far as lighting the actual people in the shots that's actually done on the shoot.

I wish I could show you what I mean, but Business Affairs will have me fired quicker than you can say "confidentiality agreement".
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-19-2008, 02:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJSoulglo View Post
Hey Guys,

Sadly uploading the layer stacks is also not allowed due to layer names and little tiny previews (even if they're blurred).

However when in relations to the highlights on the images (lucisart has been mentioned already) they're actually in the photos. The lighting is mostly just in the photos (He's very good). Most retouching is obviously pasting together the correct athlete's from different sources (bit of hair here and there) and colour correcting every little thing in the image and balancing it out. The skin is a little balanced here and there, and in the shots we're doing we've added one highlight in the background, but as far as lighting the actual people in the shots that's actually done on the shoot.

I wish I could show you what I mean, but Business Affairs will have me fired quicker than you can say "confidentiality agreement".
Could you generally speak then in terms of approaching an image like this? What method do you and your team use for color correcting? Curves, Selective Color, Hue/Sat etc.?? Is it mostly localized ie. masked color correction to certain parts of the image?
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-20-2008, 09:49 AM

I didn't actually do much on these images, just some finishing (add logo, darken, lighten, etc) but I worked with guys from Loupe: http://www.loupeimaging.co.uk/
who are really good. I'm just starting as a retoucher so I'm not doing whole campaigns just yet.

Obivously, there's a look that the art director is going for, this is what you discuss first, should the images feel cold or warm, what body parts do you want in there, etc.

The you do some overal colorcorrection (before anything else, using whatever is needed usually Curves, Selective Color and Hue/Sat (good call) ) to get that look. THen you retouch, to get the right parts in the right place. Then you do color correction on specific things, to get all parts of the image looking nice and uniform.

There really isn't a specific formula for retouching this sort of thing. Start with the overall correction, and work from there.
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-20-2008, 10:06 AM

Is there any use of Gradient Map?
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching