RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Retouching "Improving" photos, post-production, correction, etc.

How to get picture sharp like this?

Old 11-14-2008, 10:46 AM

Re: How to get picture sharp like this?

Hi Kevin, I tried your sharpener and noticed it darkened the image a little. Is is supposed to do that and am I supposed to work with the light and dark masks to modify the image?
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-14-2008, 11:17 AM

I may be a junior member but have been doing professional photography for over 25 years. My thoughts on this image... First this image has been reworked in PS already, the artifacts with edge banding along the edge of the rocks and sky are apparent from over sharpening. As you can see in the image certain areas within the image (i don't mean the water) are softer than other parts. What happens is that when a wide angle is used a tendency to stop down a lens for depth of field like in film days is used. The fact is unless your using a wide angle lens especially made for digital, stopping down more than f16 even f11 will cause this effect. Anyways the water blur is most likely from movement during the long exposure. The sky was most likely selected and adjusted. The image was dodge and burned or areas selected and adjusted. I found the best way to sharpen images is just to convert the image mode to lab, select the lightness layer in channels, click and turn on to see full color by checking the box in front of the lab channel in channels but not the channel (lab ) itself or the color channels. Adjust the lightness channel with unsharp masking. What this does is effect the grey scale sharpness without creating color noise or artifacts. If you dont have a true digital lens ( which are expensive 3 to 7 thousand dollars) don't shoot beyond f16.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Picture 1.jpg (60.7 KB, 71 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-14-2008, 11:53 AM

Hello Again sorry but I just realized I need to take in to consideration that images on this can only be displayed so big. The original file is what I should of been looking at. Anyways most of my comments are correct but my comments on the photo shown could be way off so take those lightly. But as for sharpening photos thats How I do it. I have seen samples of Nik tools sharpener that would make it worth purchasing the software.

www.niksoftware.com/sharpenerpro/
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-14-2008, 12:48 PM

Yes, you’re supposed to adjust the Lighten and darken to taste. I tried to use the settings that would not darken the picture too much. But if you already have a picture will deep shadows or is not properly exposed, it will only enhance those shadows. Make sure your image is properly exposed.

1. You also can use the mask on the folder to mask out the dark and unwanted areas (global change).

2. lighten/darken can be also masked (mask the 'darken' layer black to lighten) or play with the opacity. Changing the Lighten opacity to 25% and it should balance out everything.

3. Adjust the folder opacity for a global effect.
-------------------------------------------------------------

I created version 1.1 to correct the slight darkening (by adding a 10+ brighten, -5 contrast). Also added a second action that does the same thing without the folder (keeps everything in place). Personally I think the (folder) one has more control.

Posted an example picture, you can use the action on the original crop to make it look like the the full size. Its a bench, I don't know what the blue is.

enjoy
Attached Images
File Type: jpg _DSC6531_1-KA-sharpen.jpg (98.7 KB, 48 views)
File Type: jpg _DSC6531_1-crop.jpg (99.7 KB, 47 views)
Attached Files
File Type: zip Keven Alvarado Sharpen V 1.1.atn.zip (1.6 KB, 27 views)

Last edited by igot2pman; 11-14-2008 at 03:55 PM. Reason: added picture examples
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-14-2008, 05:13 PM

Here is a link to a cool website, I one day would like to do pictures like this. I know they are using 5d and markII & IIIs but if you look there are some done with the Canon 20D so I know I can still get good images with my 20D hopefully.

The picture that I have above is from this website.

http://www.timecatcher.com/main.cfm?...00&PhotoID=103
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-14-2008, 05:43 PM

In addition to HDR, many pro photog's have created their own workflows, then turned many steps into custom actions, etc. Many sell combinations of actions to achieve similar results as their "signature" look.

Here is another example similar to the one you posted for TimeCatcher:
FFDD Farar Focus
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching