RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Retouching "Improving" photos, post-production, correction, etc.

How to get picture sharp like this?

Old 11-13-2008, 09:21 AM

How to get picture sharp like this?

I have the same camera, Canon 20D and 10-22 but I am trying to figure out how to sharpen like this picture. The picture was done with the same camera. The picture I upped is a little less sharp than what it was on the website. I also use a tripod and remote cable when I take pictures, sometimes I use mirror lock up.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 263.jpg (77.5 KB, 523 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-13-2008, 09:31 AM

Re: How to get picture sharp like this?

Digital camera photos are soft by nature. There is an IR-blocking filter in the camera to prevent moire effects. It softens the image slightly. Also, the picture is digitized, which breas it into tiny pixels. There's interpolation there and that softens the photo.

All digital photos need sharpening. Most cameras will do sharpening, if you allow it. It is better to turn that off and sharpen them yourself.

There are lots of resources on the Web. If you Google something like "sharpen photo," you will find lots of tutorials and articles.

There are tools you can buy. There are also free tools to download. My site has a number of free tools to help with sharpening. Again, if you Google something like "Photoshop actions sharpen" or "Photoshop scripts sharpen," you will find lots of free resources.

Bruce Fraser wrote a book on sharpening for CS3.I have both an eBook and a DVD that teaches sharpening. Lynda.com might have a video tutorial on sharpening, too.

Yuo are correct to use a tripod, cable release, and mirror lock with landscape photography. You'll get 20% more sharpness that way.

Eve with correct technique, a digital photo will still need sharpening.

Cheers,

Mitch
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-13-2008, 10:13 AM
Patron

Scott, most of the effect you are seeing is most likely the result of a Polarizer Filter used on the camera. The give away is the contrast profile you are seeing and the fact there there are no reflections in the water fron the adjacent rocks and sky and you are able to see below the water surface instead of the normal glare on the surface that prevens it. If you do some research on Polarizer filters you will see many comparisons of scenes just like this one - with and without a polarizing filter.
Regards, Murray
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-13-2008, 11:38 AM

Hi Scott.. I would have to agree with Murray and add at the fact that this was shot with a nice wide angle lens which tends to make everything in the shot in focus and somewhat sharp. I also agree with Mitch in that all digital images look better with a little sharpening. I personally tend to suggest using the best lenses you can buy witch tends to give you crispness out of the raw file.. I hope this helped..

BTY I just put up a new fashion website and trying to get some input..
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-13-2008, 04:15 PM

Thanks for the help. Brain website looks great. The only thing when I first went on the website was I started to click Fashion-Commercial, etc and nothing happened. Then I noticed the bottom navigation.

I know poeple like to use the flash and make the pictures roll. The problem I think may be difficult to someone that isn't familiar with flash is they might get lost in the scrolling and get confused. I also notice when I am looking at the pictures the next and previous are a little hard to see. These are only suggestions on what I see, maybe someone might see it different. What I am saying is make it flashy but not to complicated. I think if you get a potential client frustrated in your website they may tend to look elsewhere. I hope this helps.
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-13-2008, 04:19 PM

Another idea is to ask the photographer, if you know who it is. Just shoot them an email. Since there is no EXIF data in the image, there is not much we can tell about the way it was taken. In addition to the polar filter mentioned already, the contrast seems to be a bit too good for out of the camera. In my opinion there is a little HDR effect going on also. So basically, there were multiple images taken at differing exposures. This would also explain why the water closest to us is a bit blurry, as there was motion differences between exposures.
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-14-2008, 02:24 AM

It may not be HDR, the watter looks like surface blur. As for the sharpening, try my action, I just made it.

It works well, and is adjustible to an extent. Feel free to use it, just please don't change it or the name. Don't sell it, and give credit.

The picture edit was only the sharpener and a slight exposure (offset)correction of the tree in the middle.

Sorry for the zip, you cant post .atn files, weird. Someone might want to make that an option.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg _DSC6754_1.jpg (98.0 KB, 111 views)
Attached Files
File Type: zip Keven Alvarado Sharpen.zip (1.3 KB, 47 views)

Last edited by igot2pman; 11-14-2008 at 02:48 AM. Reason: error
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-14-2008, 03:14 AM

This is the example picture with my sharpener applyed. Its over sharp, now, but it shows you that my sharpener can mimic what was already there.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 263-re.jpg (91.0 KB, 116 views)

Last edited by igot2pman; 11-14-2008 at 03:15 AM. Reason: added
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-14-2008, 03:14 AM

It could also be due to a technique called Hyperfocal focussing with a little hdr thrown in the mix.
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-14-2008, 09:31 AM

I am afraid I do not understand your initial post too well.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching