RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Retouching "Improving" photos, post-production, correction, etc.

Were these images retouched?

Old 11-18-2008, 11:06 AM

Re: Were these images retouched?

FYI: I shot this with a less-than-ideal light setup, going for a similar effect. That's the real sky -- just a little play with hue/sat, curves and probably channel mixer.
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-18-2008, 12:06 PM

Hey Jim. You are correct but i did say "Then you need to measure how long exposure at f8 you will need to get the background you want". The 2 seconds example wasn't meant for these images as obviously it will differ completely on how much availible light is in the scene. And these do look (for most at least) to be shot during day and not even at sun-set.

My post was more aimed at the general theory of combining flash light (power & aperture to get the DOF and skin lighting you want) and then adjusting time to get the background lit as you want. If you have less light on the background, you need longer times. If you have more light, you need faster times up to the sync speed. If you go over the sync on a plane-shutter, you need to lower the overall light by filters (as you can't dial down the sun).

So we're not really disagreeing =)

My own last project which i shot with combining existing light and flashes was actually not outdoors. I had to combine a back-lit painted glasswindow with the strobe on the model creating a image which didn't look too "flashed" if you know what i mean. And in that case, it meant slower times since i had less ambient light.
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-18-2008, 12:22 PM

http://www.modelmayhem.com/pic.php?p...23&the_count=2

this is obvious faked.... look closely I think they do something in all pictures, color thing curves, balance whatever.
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-19-2008, 03:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimlafferty View Post
I have to respectfully disagree with you HuBBa. While it is true, you generally use shutter speed to alter ambient exposure, and aperture to determine flash exposure, none of these shots required a model to be stationary for nearly as long as 2 seconds. My bet is they're all shot at 1/250th...

The key is simply elevating the light level of the model equal to or above the light level of the ambient at a constant shutter speed. At 1/250th, let's just say for the sake of argument, the sky is exposing properly at f/16... well, then you bring in a strobe pack and fire off a test shot and see what your model's skin is metering at, and adjust the power of the strobe to match f/16.

As a side note, my bet is most of these images were actually shot with the model at 1 or 2 stops above ambient, and probably the strobes gelled for tungsten, with the camera set to that balance, to bring out the rich blue in the sky. These look Photoshop-enhanced, but done largely in-camera.

- jim
I agree with you, and you can take pictures at 1/800 speed and sync with flash (Hasselblad for example). This allows to you to underexpose the background a lot, if you want, and a very powerfull flash with the model allows to use a little f value, to get that incredible depth of field and that shiny starlight in the sun.
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-19-2008, 12:45 PM

Clearly heavily edited backgrounds...
He should edited the models as well to get rid of the hideous ribs/bones poking out and funky skin folds.
I would shoot it with camera locked off if possible. Shoot the model, then have her clear scene and shoot a nice HDR of the background and composite it in.
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-19-2008, 01:56 PM

There also seems to be a light glow around the models where he didnt get the sky to close to the skin
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-19-2008, 03:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by idofotos View Post
There also seems to be a light glow around the models where he didnt get the sky to close to the skin
That's the glow from the sun.
Look at the water and you can see the position of the sun in the background.

Last edited by OceanView; 11-19-2008 at 03:25 PM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-20-2008, 01:16 AM

That is a bit more than the glow of the sun. Some of those picture shows very clear halo-artefacts where he has darkened down the sky to make it more dramatic and then very roughly masked around the model.

Mind you, it may be intentional as some people (including clients like it.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching