RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Retouching "Improving" photos, post-production, correction, etc.

Were these images retouched?

Old 11-16-2008, 04:11 PM

Were these images retouched?

Besides the skin being retouched, how was the sky made to look so... hmm. I dont even know a way to explain it.

http://www.modelmayhem.com/pics.php?id=332941
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-16-2008, 04:37 PM

Re: Were these images retouched?

A lot of frontal lighting balanced with or actually a little stronger than the background natural light and photoshop work on the model. Looks like a new sky and clouds was dropped in and the ocean and sand were left alone.

Last edited by Wolfman; 11-16-2008 at 04:41 PM. Reason: Change wording
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-16-2008, 09:32 PM

Agreed!

Some of those pics, show obvious signs of sky replacement.

The water and the sand appear to be intact

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfman View Post
A lot of frontal lighting balanced with or actually a little stronger than the background natural light and photoshop work on the model. Looks like a new sky and clouds was dropped in and the ocean and sand were left alone.
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-17-2008, 02:28 AM

Since everyone have talked about photoshop i thought i'd mention how to do this photographically instead. First light and set the aperture for the models skin (lets just say f8 to throw out a number) based on the flash exposure. Then you need to measure how long exposure at f8 you will need to get the background you want (usually quite a long exposure). Lets say it wants 2 seconds to expose that just to have a number to play with. This means that if you take the exposure at F8 with the synce speed (say 1/250) the models exposure will be perfect on the skin but the background will be pitch black. If you then take the exposure at f8 but with 2 seconds time, the model will still be perfectly exposed on the skin but the background will now also be exposed. Drawback is that the model needs to be perfectly still for 2 seconds or you will have slight ghosting around her.

Put the camera on a tripod, fire the exposure and hope the model doesnt shiver in the cold The flash will fire at a extremely small fraction of a second so it will only expose the nearby sand and the skin and the rest of the exposure time (remaining 2 seconds) will be exposing the background and clouds.

Thats how you would pull of an exposure like this in camera, but having said that, this doesnt look too good. Either he puts in fake sky like some others have pointed out, or the balance between the background and the model is off. In short, it doesnt look like the model belongs in the image which generally i feel is a mistake.

But to keep it on topic... it can be done either in photoshop with "fake" skies, or in camera. There are better examples of this technique in camera however.
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-17-2008, 05:27 AM

how was the sky made to look so... hmm. I dont even know a way to explain it …" - cheesy?
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-17-2008, 10:04 AM

Hi HuBBa

I am a total newbe at photography so please take this into account when I ask questions.

I noticed some of the shots had a sun high in the sky and the model was strongly backlit. Wouldn’t the shutter speed even with a high aperture require a faster then sync speed of the flash?

Wouldn’t it be easier to take a picture of the properly exposed background on a tripod then another with flash for the model and combine them in Photoshop?

Butch
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-17-2008, 10:19 AM

Looks to me as though, rather than retouching, model is posed in front of backdrops. The backgrounds all look flat to me.
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-17-2008, 10:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daviskw View Post
Hi HuBBa

I am a total newbe at photography so please take this into account when I ask questions.

I noticed some of the shots had a sun high in the sky and the model was strongly backlit. Wouldn’t the shutter speed even with a high aperture require a faster then sync speed of the flash?

Wouldn’t it be easier to take a picture of the properly exposed background on a tripod then another with flash for the model and combine them in Photoshop?

Butch
If the sun is too strong then yes. Some cameras can sync up to very fast speeds though. the 1/125-250 sync speeds are generally connected to curtain syncs but there are other solutions out there (leaf shutters, diaphragm shutters, electronical shutters) which lets you sync to much faster speeds.

The "old school" way to battle too much light however are ND filters which is basically a neutral grey filter which reduces the incoming light. This means you can crank up the flash power to get the dynamic range between the sun & flash more even. This works both with film and with digital btw.

Dual exposures can be doable, but generally requires a LOT of work in photoshop, especially if it's hair and such involved If you can nail the correct exposure with one press of the shutter that is much nicer than trying to combine two different exposures in photoshop for a few hours.

There are many ways to skin this cat and most will look better than the images in that link =)
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-18-2008, 10:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Markzebra View Post
how was the sky made to look so... hmm. I dont even know a way to explain it …" - cheesy?

I personally dont like any glamour/bathing suit kind of photography, but I do like the depth he added to the background, I was hoping to learn the technique and apply it to other images in a different way.
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-18-2008, 11:04 AM

I have to respectfully disagree with you HuBBa. While it is true, you generally use shutter speed to alter ambient exposure, and aperture to determine flash exposure, none of these shots required a model to be stationary for nearly as long as 2 seconds. My bet is they're all shot at 1/250th...

The key is simply elevating the light level of the model equal to or above the light level of the ambient at a constant shutter speed. At 1/250th, let's just say for the sake of argument, the sky is exposing properly at f/16... well, then you bring in a strobe pack and fire off a test shot and see what your model's skin is metering at, and adjust the power of the strobe to match f/16.

As a side note, my bet is most of these images were actually shot with the model at 1 or 2 stops above ambient, and probably the strobes gelled for tungsten, with the camera set to that balance, to bring out the rich blue in the sky. These look Photoshop-enhanced, but done largely in-camera.

- jim
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching