Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Retouching "Improving" photos, post-production, correction, etc.

Color correction with greyscale?

Old 11-17-2008, 04:03 AM
Color correction with greyscale?

I have lots of images on which i would like to correct the color. Im using lightroom to make light correction however i would like to color correct the photo's themselves as well. So i had a look on the internet for a greyscale which i then place as a overlay over my orginal image. I then create a new curves layer on which i place 4 eyedropper points. Ranging from white to black and neutral grey of course. I then lower my numbers but that doenst give me the results i would like it to be. Can anybody tell me how to color correct images using a greyscale which isnt in the original image?

Reply With Quote top
Old 11-17-2008, 01:07 PM
Re: Color correction with greyscale?

New layer above image (Shft+Ctrl+N) change mode to Difference
Fill with 50% Gray (Edit>Fill--Use = 50% Gray-- OK)
New Adjustment Layer = Threshold
slide the slider left till there is a black spot just large enough for the circle target in the most important part of the picture or the area where you want the proper Grayscale reading.... Shft click the black spot using the 3x3 sampler to mark the spot (this is the Gray reading for the levels/curves middle (Gray)dropper) click OK
Unclick the eyeball on the 50% Gray layer to unselect it
Click the threshold icon to activate the threshold menu again...
Slide the slider to the left to find a new area that is just large enough for the target circle (the blackest part of the picture or area that should be black)
Mark that area
slide the slider to the right till there is a white area just large enough for the circle target and mark it (white part of picture)... click OK
Uncheck the eyeball on the Threshold Layer to unselect it
you now have the Gray,black and white ares marked..
when doing the next Levels or curves layer use the Gray dropper first then the white and black..

For lots of pictures make an Action..

That is how I get Grayscale on my pictures... I am sure there are other different ways
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-17-2008, 08:01 PM
Re: Color correction with greyscale?

Another option that works fairly well, is to not use a gray scale reference at all.

Most of us have forgotten (or never used) that Levels and Curves come with an auto adjustment. In fact, most people think using that option is sinful. However, the trick is to set up (or correct factory defaults) the auto settings first. They are too strong out of the box.

The other trick is to not always allow it to sample the entire image; use a simple rectangular selection box to pick the most critical image area prior to adding the adjustment layer.

The nice thing about using it from the adj. layers is you can tweak the end result. You can't do that from the Image>Adjustments>Auto... dialogs.

For the correct defaults, open an adj. layer, click on Options, and ensure the Shadow and Highlights clip points are set to 0.01% (not 0.1%). Then click the Snap Neutral Midtones box. Check Save As Defaults and hit OK. You can then cancel that adj. layer, it will save the new defaults anyway.

From there, Adobe has a pretty good algorithm for determining the per channel adjustments. It will get 95% of the images about 98% right. You can simply tweak the rest.

This also makes for a pretty good Action, as OlBaldy recommended.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching