RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Retouching "Improving" photos, post-production, correction, etc.

Layer Problem: so frustrated! Please Advise.

Old 12-05-2008, 11:27 PM

Layer Problem: so frustrated! Please Advise.

Hello all. I have been trying to figure out this particular layer issue I continually face when editing. I am sure there is an acceptable and easy way to accomplish this issue! Please read the situation below:

-Say I have a head shot. I duplicate the Background Layer. Ok
-That Duplicated Background layer is going to be used for PATCH work. OK
-Now, I need a third layer to use the Liquify tool with. I do not want to perform Liquify on the Duplicated Background, so I make a copy of that second layer. Ok.
HERE IS THE PROBLEM: Say I make a bunch of adjustments on this 3rd layer...but then I want to continue PATCHING on the Layer below it afterward...none of the new work I do on the second layer will show up because of the Liquify Layer above!!

-I also always have a dodge and burn layer, bunch of adjustment layers, etc...that's all fine.

But how do I work around that issue I stated above? Clearly I must be doing something incorrectly.

Please help!
Thanks.
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-06-2008, 12:21 AM

Re: Layer Problem: so frustrated! Please Advise.

What you are describing is a problem many retouchers have myself included. There's no way to directly do what you need. Here's the only workaround I know of: you can make sure you save the liquify grid before committing it, this will record your settings. When you need to go back to the patching layer, you can delete your existing liquified layer, do your patching, duplicate the patched layer again and go back into liquify to perform exactly the same liquify step. This is done by loading your saved liquify grid. Its a pain, but at the moment there is really no other way as far as I'm aware. This will keep all your steps editable though.

Unfortunately Actions don't record liquify parameters in CS3 or CS4, only open the dialog. Theres no excuse for this really its just an oversight, it should at least be possible to record an action which loads a specified grid, but its not possible at the moment. Liquify also cannot be used as a smart filter at present, when and if that happens, this will be the best way.

Last edited by Markzebra; 12-06-2008 at 12:57 AM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-06-2008, 01:38 AM

This works well for simple work, although it may not be the best solution for higher end work. If I am only using liquify on very small areas, I simply do a rough lasso of that area, copy to a new empty layer and do my liquify. The patches show through the transparent areas, just not on the opaque area.
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-06-2008, 06:42 AM

Dears, I have found a workaround some time ago. Please look here:

http://www.retouchpro.com/forums/pho...lters-cs3.html
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-06-2008, 08:54 AM

mark, there's a way that you can have smart objects utilize liquify, and the lens blur filter...at the moment i can't remember exactly how i did it, but i'm sure if you google it you will find the answer, it's something really simple.

**(EDIT...I just saw that amicca's link above is how to do it!!)

anyway, it's kind of pointless though because if you modify that smartobject, it cancels out the liquify. and you have to do it all over again, which means hoping that you saved your mesh, and hoping that you did your liquify to the entire layer...if not you need to have the selection of the localized are you did your liquifying to. such a pain. really wish that liquify would stick in the smart object...that would be awesome.

-our workflow, consists of having a mesh folder in our job folder, so that if any retouchers pick up the job, they know where to grab the previous liquify mesh.
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-06-2008, 10:16 AM

Yes unfortunately that method of installing the EnableAllPlugins.jsx - doesn't help because you still have to load the grid in each time anyway. Its useful to have it installed if you wanted to combine liquify with something else maybe. Thanks for making me aware of that anyway amica999
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-06-2008, 02:57 PM

[QUOTE=KR1156;214319] ...and hoping that you did your liquify to the entire layer...if not you need to have the selection of the localized are you did your liquifying to. such a pain.

Hi KR1156, the file .msh always saves the grid for the whole picture, even if applied on a layer with only a part of the image. At least that is my experience...
I agree to always save the grid. I tend to liquify in the end. So in case you have a lot of layercopies, channelmasks and masks this saves time.

I will try out that scripting thing - really sounds good!!!
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-06-2008, 05:17 PM

Glad to be of some help :-)
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching