RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Retouching "Improving" photos, post-production, correction, etc.

What is the current skin trend?

Old 12-10-2008, 11:35 PM

Re: What is the current skin trend?

WOAH. WOOAAH!

I retouch females 100% of the time, and rarely do I get images with THAT much sharp dark hair on the face. I hadn't seen what this technique could do on dark DARK hair. That's crazy!
Granted, only SOME higher end retouching is doing skin that way, but for the time it takes, that is a really great result. I find, you can go from a style, to higher end retouching, by simply lowering the opacity of that layer, allowing SOME hair to come through.
That's got me thinking, that if the hair is lighter to begin with, perhaps creating a duplicate layer, and using selective color to make the hair DARKER first, and then following the technique, might yeild results just as good as what you've shown. I'll have to try that this week.

Good point concerning the actions, i need to do that more. I have done it in the past, but I need to remember to revisit that whenever I develope ANYTHING new. With photoshop, you NEVER KNOW what you're going to need to do, haha!

RyRy
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-10-2008, 11:41 PM

Igot2pman,

And you know what ends up being the GREATEST part about this technique? For some time now, your clients know it takes a couple of hours to clone out hair like that. But NOW, run my technique, and go grab a few beers with the guys WHILE YOU GET PAID!!!! HAHA!

I think i might make a brief tutorial of this, adding an extra step or two to tone down the whites SLIGHTLY. A nice D&B after wouldn't hurt either, as you do lose some of the shading along with the harsh hairs/blemishes.

RyRy
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-14-2008, 12:15 PM

hi guys,

bit late, but can you teach that technique?

thanks
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-15-2008, 05:17 AM

I love the technique, and it works best on sharp images from the few test i have done..
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-15-2008, 11:37 AM

ch33sewiz,

I hope to get around to writing a more comprehensive tutorial, with pictures, for my technique at some point, but work doesn't currently allow it. But here's a quick run down:

Select the skin area you'd like to clean up. i typically use quick mask for skin as it allows greater control over the feather in various areas of the image.
Once you have your selection, duplicate it in a new layer.
Run Filter>Noise>Dust and scratches on your new, duplicated skin. (you'll have to play with settings for best results)
Now change the duplicated skin layer's blending mode to: Lighten

It helps to then revisit the layer with a mask, and mask out any shadow areas you may have lightened in excess.

Hope this helped,
RyRy
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-16-2008, 07:25 PM

I know this is not skin, but it has to do with the face.

I was recently in Wal-Mart and this magazine caught my eye, "People style watch." The current December issue cover girl has no pupils. What is up with that! It’s kind of freaky but just wanted others opinion.

Is this where we are going???? I doubt it, but in looking through the mag's pictures I found a few more without the pupils.

What do you all think?

-Keven
Attached Images
File Type: jpg people-style-watch-sz.jpg (97.7 KB, 82 views)
File Type: jpg people-style-watch-eyes.jpg (97.9 KB, 153 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-16-2008, 08:05 PM

I think you've got a freaking EAGLE eye to just notice that at a glance... haha.

I don't think this is where we are going, as in a style choice. However, i do see this as where we currently ARE now and in the near future, as companies use some HORRIBLE retouchers/retouching. I hope that it follows the progression that design has (product, interior, packaging, etc...)
Lesser known specialized field > It becomes a $5 word and the market is flooded with horrible trash as everyone tries to jump on the bandwagon > certain brands/retouchers survive, and it can equalize where it needs to be.

Or maybe I'm reading WAY too into it and some moron just forgot a pupil, hahA!.

But honestly, i encourage everyone to look closely at DVD/movie covers/art. HORRIBLE. It's so bad that I'm starting to form a stereotype for the people who retouch movie art...
"Oh you retouch movie posters? Hey, that's cool! So you're TERRIBLE at photoshop right!"
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-16-2008, 09:24 PM

And the funny thing is: you basically end up with fifties style movie 'art'. They never outgrew the billboard phase.
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-17-2008, 08:22 AM

wow sir, great tuts, i already tried it! it amazing!

thanks
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-18-2008, 03:22 AM

@igot2pman
Does it look like that on print? To me it looks like a photo taken on the street with bare flash at day, since to me it looks like her pupils are real small. The compression artifacts and the small resolution of the image then take away the remaining contrast and detail off the pupil.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching