RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Retouching "Improving" photos, post-production, correction, etc.

retouch no blur or healing brush

Old 12-09-2008, 02:32 AM

Re: retouch no blur or healing brush

i have heard of the dodge and burn method, but quite frankly i dont think the results are very pleasing. i was simply searching for another method.

magazine ad models dont get 'perfect skin' from dodging and burning.
there must be another way.
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-09-2008, 03:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwallace29 View Post
From someone who is completely new to this site. When you get the same questions over and over, generally, it is from someone new who is seeking help from those who are more knowledgeable. But nooooo, we get the smartass comments from those who are tired, old, bloated, those who have lost their..."cool". For those who extend the knowledge, I salute you. May the Puna buds from heaven watch over you.
Actually you'll find that I offered a solution: Make a sticky post at the top of the forum "PERFECT SKIN: NO BLUR" so that we don't get the same question over and over.

But thanks for being snoody!
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-09-2008, 03:49 AM

i actually thought u were being sarcastic.
but anyway
have you found the dodge and burn method to work well?
because from what i have heard of it, the results are extremely poor...
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-09-2008, 03:54 AM
Patron

Quote:
Originally Posted by mileeeeeeenaaaa View Post
magazine ad models dont get 'perfect skin' from dodging and burning.
there must be another way.
Very true , they get it from very talented MUA's (Make Up Artists)
Talented hair people and a complete team of professionals who make them look their best before a shoot... During the shoot the lighting and lenses must be correct and sometimes there are hundreds of photos taken for just a few usable frames and hopefully the photos used were captured in camera and might just need minor post processing..
Photoshop should not be the cure all for bad skin or bad photography... unless of course, you have deep pockets then all things may be possible..
Pre-shoot preparations are crucial for a good shoot, good skin and less post work..

If you study the threads here at RetouchPRO you will realize that a lot of the people who retouch those magazine models are members here and almost all of these Professionals use D & B.. If you like the results in the magazines then you are probably looking at D&B done by some of the members here..
There are a lot of lesser quality magazines on the market and also some photographers who will use whatever is the cheapest/fastest method that will give OK results for the indiscriminate reader... such as the action I provided in an earlier post.. (fast, simple, De-Grunge method)..
I guess it boils down to the members here needing to see what YOU consider perfect skin...

Perhaps you could provide a high quality, high resolution sample of what you consider to be the perfect skin, that is your objective, and then possibly the members here can guide you toward achieving the results you are after
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-09-2008, 04:01 AM

Milena. You've heard that D&B results are extremely poor? Was that from someone trying it out through some internet tutorial, or someone who have worked with that method for years?

D&B requires a good ammount of artistic skill (or at least good wacom skills on the users behalf, and the key is to be very subtle. There are also several different methods to achieve this effect and it does NOT work everywhere (even with the different methods). It is however the most detailed way to retouch skin and you have 100% control over it. The drawback is that all this control and detail means it takes time to do so most people look for a quick solution.

As 0lBaldy mentioned the first step is to have a really kick-ass makeup-artist, and then also to light it soft to lessen the shadows in the skin texture itself (remember, harsh ligthing reflects even down to the skin-pores which are also catching highlights and shadows). Unfortunately the models are rarely bred for perfect skin, only perfect features so skinretouching even with a great mua is often a fact.
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-09-2008, 05:03 AM

so essentially, good skin on photoshop doesnt exist?
it needs to be great in the first place.

below is a link to a picture of what i think is perfect skin.
how would you achieve this look in photoshop?
or again
would it just be the photograph to begin with?

or would it be the doge and burn method?

give me some guidance, please..........

http://i36.tinypic.com/2iqeesy.jpg

http://tinypic.com/?t=postupload
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-09-2008, 06:15 AM

first, start off with a model with good skin (if you can find one), then add a really good and thorough makeup artist. Add soft lighting to the face to smoothen and even out the skin further. Use a very sharp lens and camera with a high dynamic resolution (pref. mediumformat or high-end D3X/1Ds) and then start working skinpore by skinpore using say a softlight layer (either filled with 50% grey or not), brush at 3-5%, paint white to lighten the shadow part of the pore, paint black to darken the highlight. Use additional color layers to keep the skin-tone consistant (as it will change in the darker areas of the pore aswell as the highlights).

Sometimes you also graft in skin from reference files if you loose too much texture in that area, either due to the D&B or more likely from lack of detail in the original.

The key here is that it requires YOUR skill and eye to determine where to put in the D&B adjustments, colour changes and grafting. Thats why no plugin comes even close to reproduce this type of detail.
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-09-2008, 10:18 AM

If you have any huge blemishes that you want to get rid of, use the clone stamp tool. There's nothing unprofessional about using that. It takes skill and a good eye, but when done properly it is extremely effective. From there, D&B.

Chris Tarantino is often quick to point out that even with a great MUA, you'd be surprised how bad a model's skin can be when it reaches the post stage. Yet he still achieves incredibly professional results. I know for a fact that this is a result of lots of talent and a TON of D&B. Don't let anyone tell you D&B gets poor results, more often than not, that's simply a total lack of skill on the user's part. Just be willing to spend a few - probably several at the beginning - hours on it. There's a reason professional retouchers get paid what they do.
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-09-2008, 12:15 PM

I donot know of a method where you don't use bluring or masking.
However I do use a non destructive method that I learnt from Mark Galor that I think works well

I use CS3 and the method is using the high pass filter'

1. you duplicate layer
2. set layer to "overlay mode"
3. click on high pass filter in filter menu.
4. set slider so colour is just showing thru grey in preview window. I usually use the lips or eyes as a guide. This preserves the wrinkles,nose,eyes and anything with texture in finished composite.
5. I Invert layer. Image---> Adjustments--->Invert
6. lower opacity until skin looks right to eye
7. make layer mask and paint with black over areas you don't want smoothed. (ie. eyes, mouth, hair, etc)

hope this helps
John
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-09-2008, 12:56 PM

Milena,
I totally agree with the others. D&B is and will be one of the most important retouching techniques especially when doing skin. As for the rest I think hubba sumorized the trick of perfect skin.

You ask weather you can retouch ugly skin to look perfect in photoshop. Of course but it takes as much proficiency as shooting that perfect picture, another words it is not just perfect technical skills, an eye for color and contrast and time, it is also talent.

We retouch celebrities, who are often far from perfect and in the end I would say they look quite natural and I can honestly say. We wouldn't have managed with even one of them without D&B!!!

After all it is a classical technique straight from analog and that is why it looks so natural.
I'm very curious: have you ever burned and dodged in a darkroom?
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching